PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriot Place a BUST??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartwright

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
ProFootballTalk.com - MORE PATS LAYOFFS COMING FRIDAY?

"I guess they could not have forseen the financial issues that were coming when they started the project, but I still think there’s something fundamentally flawed about building an outdoor mall in such a cold climate."

Are these layoffs mailnly related to the staff that was added when this venue opened?

Nice to see that EVERYTHING doesn't turn to gold out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your right.

Newbury St must be indoors.

Michigan Ave in Chicago must have sprung a dome. "The Magnificent Mile"

The trend of outdoor malls is a sucessful one and has they have been booming in outdoor cold climates while many of the old indoor malls practically close down. The economy is hammering retail period.

The impending worldwide recession is what's haulting business progress.

Everything is cyclical and expect in a few years the articles about the wonderful business decision Patriot Place was.

I'd still personally go to Wrentham over Patriot Place if I was going to considering it's not that far away. And I don't think you can compare a street in the heart of a city with an outdoor shopping mall in Foxboro. People that plan the locations of those malls spend a ton of time studying the local logistics and target populations before they decide on where to build. Kraft hoped that the lure of the Pats connection would be enough to get people shopping there instead of Boston or Wrentham or Natick. I wasn't so convinced back then and I'm certainly less convinced now that the economy sucks.

Last edited:
Your right.

The trend of outdoor malls is a sucessful one and has they have been booming in outdoor cold climates while many of the old indoor malls practically close down. The economy is hammering retail period.

:agree: Saying Patriots Place is a bust in light of this economy is like saying Sears is a bust. Everyone's hurting right now. Once the hotel opens, you'll get people staying there and the traffic will increase (fewer faraway vacations, more day and/or overnight trips to Foxboro).

:agree: Saying Patriots Place is a bust in light of this economy is like saying Sears is a bust. Everyone's hurting right now. Once the hotel opens, you'll get people staying there and the traffic will increase (fewer faraway vacations, more day and/or overnight trips to Foxboro).

Why would someone take a vacation to foxboro? I can see people staying overnight on a Saturday or Sunday night during the regular season but not otherwise.

Last edited:

The economy AND Patriot Place are made of GLASS!:eek:

sorry...felt obligated to say it

That's a comment from some "source" whose got an agenda against the Krafts. I've been there on numerous occassions and also have hosted business clients at Davios. Patriot place is great and it's going to be a greater attraction when completed, especially in the summer. I wouldn't bet against the Krafts.

Last edited:
Stacy James already debunked the rumor saying the person being laid off was part of the first round of layoffs that had nothing to do with Patriot Place. Besides, it doesn't make sense that there would be a layoff because of the "failure" of Patriots Place.

The Krafts do not operate most of the restarants and retail stores in Patriot Place. They are landlords. Yes, most comercial landlords in retail enviroments get increases in rents based on sales volume of their clients, but there is still a base rent that would be significant.

Other than the Patriots Hall of Fame and Pro Shop, I don't think there is a single retail store or restaurant solely owned and operated by the Krafts or the Patriots. Even the CBS Scene is a joint venture between the Patriots and obviously CBS. The movie theater is owned by Showcase Cinemas, all the restaurants are either national chains or independently owned, and all the retail stores are national chains.

Why would the Patriots have to lay off people if Best Buy or Bass Pro Shops aren't making their numbers? They still have to pay rent. The overage checks may be down, but I don't know if a few months of lower overage checks would be enough to make the Pats cut staff.

Consider the author of this thread who has constantly started threads on this site that are derogatory towards anything N.E.

Sorry, Hoss...no bonanza for you

I know we're in a bad economy, but I was at the Natick Mall on Sunday to meet my brother for lunch @ Cheesecake Factory and it took me 20 friggin' miutes to find a spot! No sign of recession for the good citizens of Natick, I guess!

Here's why I would only go to Patriot Place on gameday: Malls Suck!

I so miss the America where you went into town and bought stuff from local vendors who had storefronts and more than likely lived in your community. The mega-mall concept killed that.

I hope Patriots Place does well and I will still check it out on gameday (if it's still open by then), and I am sad for the workers who are facing the layoffs, but I am not crying a lot of tears for the Kraft family. I'm guessing they're doing ok!

I live about 2 miles from the stadium.. Actually I'm close enough to cut thru the back and walk to the game.. But driving is 2 miles..

First thing.. Wrentham outlook was PACKED this Saturday.. People were driving around looking for spots.. It was kinda crazy and I was surprised..

The patriot Place is never packed. Of course they don't have a quarter of many stores Wrentham has.. The resturants and Bars are busy Thurs thru Sunday.. Go to the Hamburger place (name is escaping me) and you'll wait almost 30 minutes to get a table..

The Movie Theater is average.. The who thing of paying more money to sit in leather seats and have someone bring you food is funny..

I like it and I wouldn't worry about Kraft.. he owns the land so the only thing he paid for was the material and labor.. It might be slow now but I'm positive in the long run it will work out.. I just hope he doesnt' increase tkts again this year..

I was at the Natick Mall on Sunday to meet my brother for lunch

I so miss the America where you went into town and bought stuff from local vendors who had storefronts and more than likely lived in your community.
Local vendors are still operating in America, brother. Not as many as before because of people who go to the Natick Mall for lunch instead of a locally owned spot, but they are there.

No only that, but it is hard to find a bad locally owned joint. Only those with good food and good service have survived the mass migration to franchise eateries.

There are local diners, lunchspots, delis, and dinner restaurants all across the country. I regularly drive to Florida (typing this outside of Orlando) and have no problem making the trip without eating at a single chain.

The problem is that though local paces universally have better food than chains, they lack the glitz and "slickness" of the chains. Down home places usually look and feel downhome.

Oh, and chains are a LOT cheaper, too. The staff is minimally paid and food is maximally processed.

I went there Saturday. First we went to the hall of fame. After that we went into CBS Scene and were told it was a 45 minute wait just to get to the bar and an hour and a half for the restaurant. We said screw that and went to Bar Louie just down the way. There it was an hour wait to eat at the restaurant but we could immediatley get to the bar so we ate there. The food was good and we had good service.

Last edited:
Consider the author of this thread who has constantly started threads on this site that are derogatory towards anything N.E.

Sorry, Hoss...no bonanza for you
It is quite true what you said...TOTALLY against the Krafts and the Patriots...."Nice to see that EVERYTHING doesn't turn to gold out there"....NICE??? What is nice about having something turn into a a downturn UNLESS you are quite anti-Kraft....This hoss..is one that needs to be put way way out to pasture...
As many have said..the economy is tanked now.. and I totally agree with B2B about local venues...MANY have survived and the local flavor to me is usually always better than the chain and boring...Having said that..the downtown of streets of smaller cities have long gone and it is quite sad that that has happened...Maybe there will be an influx of the past with small owners and a looking towards the small and local instead of the large corporates. I think in many ways that could be the future..nothing at all wrong with that in my book..I usually try to do that if it's possible
Since I do not live close to Patriot Place, I have been there only once, but I do think with better weather and a bit of a turn upward things will be better there.
Also...if I remember, there was another PFT entry that was after the one mentioned (the same day) that clarified it...It said that the layoff was NOT a new round but of one that happened at the end of 2008...it was ONE employee from the Pats publication. It was also noted in THAT entry that none of the layoffs were from football operations, but other Kraft businesses at the complex.

Last edited:
There's an update in the link stating per the Pats there will be no furthur layoffs.
Either way, jmo but Patriot Place wasn't necessarily designed to be just another shopping mall anyway. The Bass Shop is a huge anchor (Davios,CBS Scene,The Hall) and is probably one big draw same as these others,but if I want to shop at VS for example, I'm not going to go to Patriot's Place,not unless I want to go to Patriot's Place.
If that makes any sense:D

I'd still personally go to Wrentham over Patriot Place if I was going to considering it's not that far away. And I don't think you can compare a street in the heart of a city with an outdoor shopping mall in Foxboro. People that plan the locations of those malls spend a ton of time studying the local logistics and target populations before they decide on where to build. Kraft hoped that the lure of the Pats connection would be enough to get people shopping there instead of Boston or Wrentham or Natick. I wasn't so convinced back then and I'm certainly less convinced now that the economy sucks.

sure......if you need underwear

patriot place has a slightly different target than wrentham........davios or cracker barrel??

as for natick, that's one of the biggest traffic nightmares I have ever seen

patriot place serves its own perpose

as for the layoffs, many teams are laying off........international business is near a standstill........would not be suprised to see the London game brought back stateside

THIS GUY KNOWS STUFF.

The only reason i would go to patriot place is for the hall or on gameday. otherwise, I would shop in Wrentham, Providence, or N. Attlleboro.

Your right.

Problem is that those places are in the city and are easily accesible by the masses. Patriot Place is in the middle of nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes