PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Willis said to have run 4.37 40 at Pro Day (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patrick Willis said to have run 4.37 40 at Pro Day

Thats ridiculous. Had to be a typo...there is no way. That would be a record time for a LB (im pretty sure).
All I can tell you is the guy who posted it is VERY reliable (and his 34K posts show he's been around for a while). I'll believe it was that, or close to it, until I'm shown otherwise.

All I can tell you is the guy who posted it is VERY reliable (and his 34K posts show he's been around for a while). I'll believe it was that, or close to it, until I'm shown otherwise.

No way dude... He is probably mistaking him for a WR on their team (pat Williams).

No way Willis ran a 4.3/40. Im sorry. That is just WAYYY too far fetched. If that were true, it would have been all over th Major sports networks.

Last edited:

Well if Willis ran that, it looks like many on here won't see their wet dreams come true. He's a top 15 pick.

No way dude... He is probably mistaking him for a WR on their team (pat Williams).

No way Willis ran a 4.3/40. Im sorry. That is just WAYYY too far fetched. If that were true, it would have been all over th Major sports networks.
Ironically, he originally wrote Williams and corrected himself :

"Sorry, Was interviewing a Colorado player so i wrote Patrick Williams (WR for them) His college teammate... 4.37 and 4.38 he said Willis ran today."

Anyway, I'm just repeating what I read from what has been a very reliable source in the past.

If the Pats love him, they can do the much discussed deal and move up in 1 and back in 2 and still get Weddle if they want.

Must have been running down a ski jump with a 40 mph tailwind.

There have been quite a few incredible 40-times reported this year, such as Ted Ginn's supposed 4.06.

If Ted Ginn runs a 4.06 then i can blow fire out of my ass....:violent:
I was hoping the 4.3 wasnt true because he doesnt play to that speed, and it would rise his stock...

i really think after the top 15 or so in this draft it could go a number of different ways, i think we should try to trade to get as many picks in the 2nd round as possible, because there is ALOT of talent to be had in those rounds....think about all hte WR that are bound to drop (unless they are picked then it will be other positions)....i like this draft because there is a significant ammount of guys with late first round talent that are going to drop to the 2nd/3rd round IMO

It's spectacular, but it doesn't make him a better suited LB for the Patriots.

Patrick Willis is awesome and can run as fast as he wants. :rocker:

That's complete BS. The guy trained for the combine runs a 4.5 then runs a 4.37 at his proday? Yea, sure. We're not talking about a small receiver who didn't display his speed at the combine, but made up for it at his proday. Prior to the combine Willis was timed around or slower than 4.5, so it doesn't make any sense for him to run in the 4.37-4.38 range. Also, if they used a stop watch someone might have had quick fingers;)

Now that 4.06 that Ginn Jr. is rumored to have run is BS, as well. Top track athletes who have trained their entire lives run the 40 yard dash in 4.10, so it is completely unrealistic for Ginn who is coming off injury to have run a 4.06. Seriously, If he is that fast he needs to quit football right now and sign up for the olympics.

Last edited:

A good rule of thumb is always add .1 to pro day times. The players are more comfortable, they're used to the track, the conditions more favorable (maybe the distance shorter?). By that rule, Nelson probably ran between 4.41 and 4.45, close to his combine numbers, Carriker and Anderson 4.85s, and Willis probably ran a 4.47 or 4.48, close to his electronic combine time of 4.49 before it was adjusted to 4.51 by hand held averages. No big deal. Everyone already knows Willis has straight line speed. The key thing is he showed no fear and wanted to run again. That's the mentality of a real LBer, a Bruschi-like mentality. Did he improve his agility drills? That seems more important.

Last edited:
Kiss Pat Willis goodbye

After these numbers, he ain't falling...

Willis (6-1, 237 pounds) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 and 4.38. He also had a 4.37 short shuttle and 7.10 three-cone drill. He stood on his numbers from the Combine for the rest.

Re: Kiss Pat Willis goodbye

Good. Huddlereport has him a 4th rounder.

Says he isn't that "fast". Maybe he's slower during games?

I don't know if he's big enough to play ILB for a 3-4 anyway.

Steward Bradley in the 3rd is who they should draft. Or anthony waters in the 4th.

Let's not say goodbye just yet. The draft does take on some strange dynamics. Witness Big Vince a consensus to 15 drop in our laps at 21.

And if the Huddle report has him as a 4th rounder they are the only ones. By every other guide, site, mock he is a 1st rounder. I have not seen anyone have him even in the top of the 2nd round.

I hear what you're saying -- those are amazing numbers -- but people tend to forget how far great players can fall, because teams tend to draft for need, not best-player-available.

Looking at Fox Sport's latest mock draft (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6571514), who do they project taking a LB before us?

49er's @ pick 11: Fox Sports has Adam Carriker as the first LB selected. Mike Nolan is a defensive coach first and foremost, but they have no WRs this year with the loss of A. Bryant. In addition, they've recently switched to a 3-4, and probably could use additional personnel for the D-line with Bryant Young getting way up there in age. No guarantee of an LB here.

Rams @ pick 13: Fox Sports has Willis going here. The Rams are an interesting team right now -- I don't know what they might take.

Steelers @ pick 15: I just don't see it. Too many issues at WR, DL, and DB. The Steelers have always been able to do well with JAGs at LB -- they're to LBs what Denver is to RBs.

Giants @ pick 20: LB is a weak point, but so is DB and OL. Maybe.

Honestly, I could envision a scenario where only 1 out of those 4 takes a LB. Not saying that's going to happen, but it easily could. Great players can definately fall in the first round due to team needs -- look at Wilfork as a prime example.

Are you sure those numbers are right? I have never heard of a linebacker running a 4.3 40. If one did it would be a huge deal.

There is no way in hell Willis runs a 4.37.

But those numbers, as inflated numbers, are impressive nonetheless. In other words, if you're going to make the absurd claim that this guy runs that fast, then he must run pretty fast regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes