Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patrick plans to dissolve Mass. Turnpike Authority

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Nov 11, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Something for RW,if he doesn't already know. I wonder what will happen with those 70 K + per year toll both workers.

Patrick plans to dissolve Mass. Turnpike Authority - MassLive.com

BOSTON - Tolls that remain on the western end of the Massachusetts Turnpike would be eliminated under Gov. Deval L. Patrick's plan to dismantle the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority.

Patrick on Monday unveiled plans to fold turnpike operations west of Route 128 at the Weston exit into the Massachusetts Highway Department. Operations on the turnpike east of Route 128 would be placed into the Massachusetts Port Authority, which already runs Logan International Airport in Boston and the Tobin Memorial Bridge.

"It's a real step in reforming the system," said Alan L. LeBovidge, executive director of the turnpike authority. ...con
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +182 / 2 / -10

A long over-due move. Good for Patrick and good for Massachusetts!
  3. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

The silver lining to the depression like economy. All agencies or organizations will start to act fiscally responsibly or go deeper into the black hole.
  4. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +182 / 2 / -10

Yeah, until the new "Works Progress Admininstration" comes to life. Look for the Hoover damn to be dismantled and then re-built!:rolleyes:
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +290 / 4 / -2

I do applaud the dismantling of a redundant state agency. Like the MDC, there is no need for the MassPike. However, just as the article states, the devil is in the details. Like the details BS, it's more smoke and mirrors.

All they're doing is sparing the western part of the state, and passing the bill over to those in the east. Tolls will not be eliminated. In fact, they will be raised.

Then there is this for the people who think a recession makes the gubmit fiscally responsible.

Masshighway is in shambles as is. It can't even make payroll without a state infusion of cash. So, now we find out that the Mass Pike Authority, you know, the agency for the stretch of road that was supposed to be "free" once it was paid for, is also $2.4 billion in debt. Wonderful. I guess at the very least, we'll save the money it takes to print envelops, and letter heads with "Mass Turnpike Authority" on them, as the bloated staffs of each will only be meshed into the bloated payrolls of both Mass Highway, and Massport.

Here's a different take on it, from the Herald.

Nice.

Again, closing a redundant agency is great. We'll at least save money on envelops & letter heads.

As an aside, I was at a fundraiser Saturday night, and I ran into an old friend. We get to talking, and he tells me how he's "retiring" soon. Now, this guy is a real jokester, so I don't know if he's joshing or not. It ends up he's serious. He works for the MBTA, which I knew before, but he's in his mid 40's. What a joke. The guy is 46 (give or take a year), and is retiring with a full pension from the MBTA. 23 years is full retirement. He'll now get the average salary of his top 3 years of earnings. He said the last 3 years were his 3 best, and he's cashing out. Then people wonder why the MBTA is over $8 billion in debt, or why state gubmits are constantly in the red.

How do I get a gig like that anyway?