PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Chung question please: average, above average or below average NFL safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patrick Chung question please: average, above average or below average NFL safety

Until the day comes when Chung is a difference maker or simply a playmaker,he is a below average Safety who would probably not even start on a good portion of teams that are not weak in the secondary.

An above average safety is a player who you could rattle off several games where he made a difference in a win.....I really can't think of one game where he saved the day.

Re: Patrick Chung question please: average, above average or below average NFL safety

I can see BB playing five corners at some point in the season.

I'd prefer a veteran FA like when they brought in Harrison our secondary is really young already.

Belichick cut Lawyer Malloy's arse after an 02 season where he didn't make any plays. Chung hasn't made a play in four years. He'd have been a fine SS 20 years ago. You have to be able to play the ball now. He can't. Time to move on.

Everyone rips McCourty. He has his issues. But, he's outplayed the other 3 starters in the secondary this year. I think we'll see more of Dennard and Dowling at cb. Wouldn't stun me if we see a little of Wilson and Gregory against teams who just throw the ball..

My conclusion is my personal opinion. Without being technical, and from many, many years of watching professional football, very closely I might add....Chung is a decent, and a good player.

Great? No. Poor or weak? No.

In fact, in my opinion, he is "exactly" the type of player that Belichick likes and is a "winner."

Belichick is, IMO, not a coach that looks for the super stars, just players that know how to play their positions. Chung does, exactly, that.

You can accept a personal opinion, something that all of us have, right? That is mine.

Fair enough, but I was looking for specifics - what, in particular, do you think that he's good at that warrants calling him a good player? What, of the things that are commonly cites as weaknesses--slow, can't cover, lets plays get behind him, takes bad angles on receivers, doesn't hit hard enough for that to be his primary strength--do you think are overstated?

Saying that he's good requires some specifics. If you're not willing to go any deeper than "he's good because he's good", then that doesn't really add anything to the discussion. At least a little bit of elaboration is necessary for the discussion to go anywhere.

I think Brandon Spikes is sort of an example of what Belichick hoped Chung might be a safety version of: slow, but plays with aggression, sound technique, and great instincts. Unfortunately, it just doesn't really seem like the instincts are there. He's good at coming downhill and attacking the ballcarrier, but in most other areas he's average at best, and oftentimes worse than that.

Sucks, too, because I really want him to be good. My friends who have met him say that he's a great guy.

Last edited:

My conclusion is my personal opinion. Without being technical, and from many, many years of watching professional football, very closely I might add....Chung is a decent, and a good player.

Great? No. Poor or weak? No.

In fact, in my opinion, he is "exactly" the type of player that Belichick likes and is a "winner."

Belichick is, IMO, not a coach that looks for the super stars, just players that know how to play their positions. Chung does, exactly, that.

You can accept a personal opinion, something that all of us have, right? That is mine.

How is Chung a winner? What big play has he ever made in a big spot for us? When is the last time he took over a game on defense? Hell, when did he ever even make his presence felt on the field? Really, if Chung is a winner, guys like Bruschi, Vrabel, Law and Harrison must be olympian demi-gods.

Belichick cut Lawyer Malloy's arse after an 02 season where he didn't make any plays. Chung hasn't made a play in four years. He'd have been a fine SS 20 years ago. You have to be able to play the ball now. He can't. Time to move on.

Everyone rips McCourty. He has his issues. But, he's outplayed the other 3 starters in the secondary this year. I think we'll see more of Dennard and Dowling at cb. Wouldn't stun me if we see a little of Wilson and Gregory against teams who just throw the ball..

Exactly, that's what I'm hung up on too. His skill-set just doesn't really fit today's NFL. It's kind of a shame for him that he wasn't born in the '60s.

below average in coverage, above average in run support. hes average overall.

the problem i see now is that with the way our front 7 is developing...our need for a run support safety isnt nearly as important. our need for 2 strong cover safeties IS. I'm not one of the ones calking for mccourty to move to safety but he is definitely an ideal candidate if they decided to draft a man2man cb instead of a safety (mccourty is great in zone but still getting used to man).

chung could still have a role against pure run teams and in blitzes...if the money is right...

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

below average in coverage, above average in run support. hes average overall.

the problem i see now is that with the way our front 7 is developing...our need for a run support safety isnt nearly as important. our need for 2 strong cover safeties IS. I'm not one of the ones calking for mccourty to move to safety but he is definitely an ideal candidate if they decided to draft a man2man cb instead of a safety (mccourty is great in zone but still getting used to man).

chung could still have a role against pure run teams and in blitzes...if the money is right...

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

This is where I cut ties with those who argue Chung is adequate as a safety on the whole. I just don't see his effectiveness against the run. I don't recall him knifing through the opponent's o-line to tackle a RB for a loss, or being the first guy to the ball on a toss/sweep. Chung's a good tackler and he's reasonably physical, but I just never saw him as a factor against the running game, the way some other in-the-box safeties are.

Last edited:

Chung is the best safety we've had since Rodney. That's not saying a ton but I'm not sure why he's the chic whipping boy now.

His instincts and reaction time are above average while his size and consistency are below average.

The dude doesn't have a full season under his belt, which is a little disconcerting, but also a viable explanation as to why he hasn't put it all together yet. I'm happy we have Chung roaming around back there. He has the makings of an every down impact player.

Last edited:

Chung is the best safety we've had since Rodney. That's not saying a ton but I'm not sure why he's the chic whipping now.

His instincts and reaction time are above average while his size and consistency are below average.

The dude doesn't have a full season under his belt, which is a little disconcerting, but also a viable explanation as to why he hasn't put it all together yet. I'm happy we have Chung roaming around back there. He has the makings of an every down impact player.

James Sanders, while not as physically gifted, was way more consistent than Chung has been so far.

James Sanders, while not as physically gifted, was way more consistent than Chung has been so far.

Sanders was absolute garbage here.

Might have the worst hips I've seen on an NFL DB. And if you wanna talk about someone that was truly invisible against the run, James is your man.

Perhaps since it's been a couple seasons, memories of him have been repressed and denied. Sanders isn't/never was half the safety Chung is.

Last edited:
Program Alert: NFL Net .. Now

Replay of the game coming up next .... lets all watch Chung .. :mad:

Re: Program Alert: NFL Net .. Now

i can't believe how quick they were running plays..denver was clueless.

No huddle vs the jets in 2 weeks? Good god i can't wait

i can't believe how quick they were running plays..denver was clueless.

No huddle vs the jets in 2 weeks? Good god i can't wait

curious to see how they implement in Seattle.. (hurry up)

I already think Wilson is the best safety we have. BUT our overall safety depth is definitely a lot better than what we have last year. I shudder at the mere thought of sergio brown and Ihedigbo back there.

Hah -- love Spikes and Mayo laughing it up after Woodhead converted 3rd and 17. "That's embarrassing though," Mayo says.

Edit:Just realized I had "3rd and 7." it was the big 3rd and 17 play.

Last edited:

Hah -- love Spikes and Mayo laughing it up after Woodhead converted 3rd and 7. "That's embarrassing though," Mayo says.

What qtr was that? and the minute mark if you remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back