PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patrick Chung - How good is he or can he be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEPettyOfficer72

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I've been in a conversation recently and we were discussing the top safeties in the NFL. Of course the conversation consisted of Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu two future Hall of Famers for the most part. But midway towards the end of the conversation, my friend Scotty, actually commented on another safety and said that he thinks "Patrick Chung has the potential to be mentioned right behind Reed and Polamalu and doesn't get alot of spunk for his skill because of where he plays" ... but I left my opinion sealed. On other hand how good do you all think Patrick Chung is or how good do you think he can be?

Well Harrison got plenty of recognition playing safety here. As far as Chung... if on a scale of 1-10, I'd give Ed Reed a 10, one of the best ever, Troy Polamalu is overrated IMO, I'd give him an 8, he's not on the same level as an Ed Reed. So that would leave Chung at about a 6 with a potential for a 7.

I've been in a conversation recently and we were discussing the top safeties in the NFL. Of course the conversation consisted of Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu two future Hall of Famers for the most part. But midway towards the end of the conversation, my friend Scotty, actually commented on another safety and said that he thinks "Patrick Chung has the potential to be mentioned right behind Reed and Polamalu and doesn't get alot of spunk for his skill because of where he plays" ... but I left my opinion sealed. On other hand how good do you all think Patrick Chung is or how good do you think he can be?

I was hoping he would have a breakout type year this year, that's not happening so far, maybe this is as good as it gets, he's in year 3 now. We need someone to step up on this defense and be a consistent playmaker.

With some questions at CB, they've needed him to play back deep more than ever this season, which does not play to his strengths. His true ability as a strong safety will show when the Pats are comfortable with their CBs in man coverage. As in, probably not this season. I don't think he'll ever be special like Harrison was, but his potential is just a notch below Harrison, a hard-hitting safety who is elite against the run and above average in coverage, but doesn't quite have the elite "right place, right time" ability that Harrison had.

Well he's gonna have to be. Have you seen the personnel at DB

If Chung is played to his strengths, he has the potential to be the best Strong Safety in the NFL (And, i'm aware that BB plays a left/right S rather than SS/FS).

But, to do that, Bill needs to get the Ed Reed type Safety that he loves. We've got a mini-Rodney, I think we now need a mini-Ed

Rex Ryan wants to date Patrick Chung's feet

Last edited:
Chung seems to have a nose for the ball carrier, but he has never given any reason for us to believe he will ever be a great cover guy. I think Harrison is a good example of a safety who can be a great player and an impact player without being a strong cover man.

The jury is still out on whether Chung has that kind of ceiling.

Here's my thoughts..

Chung needs to stay healthy.. Very important here.

We've seen him matched up against top TE's and do a solid job. He's a very strong tackler and never seems to be out of place.

BB tried earlier in his 1st two years to match Chung to the Slot receiver and there seemed to be a lot of disappointment with this.. BB hasn't done it this year so in a way, BB still learning what Chungs strengths are..

Chung's a player that is a piece to the puzzle but not a player you build your defense around.

He stay's health all year and reaches 100 tackles, I think this off season we need to sign him up to a 3 or 4 year deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back