PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Kirwan's NFL.com mock draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Bryant is quotes like this :

More red flags for Dez Bryant? | National Football Post

"One source told Cole that Bryant would have to be monitored during his time in the league, saying, “I wouldn’t draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games.”"

I love his game - but I'm not sure I'd draft him either.

I do agree with Kirwan that Odrick probably doesn't make it to #22. I know some think he's a reach at #22 but he's one of the only guys in the draft who's ready to contribute as a 3-4 DE so I think he'll go quite early.

Last edited:
one of the worst mock drafts i ever seen. if Jason Pierre-Paul, Everson Griffen, and Dez Bryant, are still on the bord and the pats pass them all up for Graham, then the pats realy don't know how to draft.

this guy has Sergio Kindle, a 3-4 OLB going to the g man a 4-3 team

Last edited:
one of the worst mock drafts i ever seen. if Jason Pierre-Paul, Everson Griffen, and Dez Bryant, are still on the bord and the pats pass them all up for Graham, then the pats realy don't know how to draft.

this gut has Sergio Kindle, a 3-4 OLB going to the g man a 4-3 team

I agree with the first statement but the Giants have picked OLB prospects like Sintim, and Kiwanuka because of their versatilty to play both DE and OLB in the 43.

It's rare the Patriots take high risk players like JPP and Bryant in the first round. I would expect a much safer pick than them, whether it's Graham or someone else.

JPP is high-risk because he has not produced (I'm a BE fan, and honestly this kid never scared me).

But Bryant has produced. I'd suspect that some teams are hoping he drops. is the unnamed source for that rumor Caserio? LOL.

Seriously, this kid was suspended for saying he was never at Deion Sanders' home to NCAA officials because he thought being at Sanders' home was a recruiting violation. He was crucified for it.

"He had 85 tackles for a loss in 28 starts" <-- This quote caught my eye, that is a mind boggling stat.

Kirwin is never afarid to shake things up which is why I like this mock. I like that he has Demaryius Thomas as a riser which I think when all said and done he could crack the 1st rd despite the medical.

My first reation when I saw this was how do we trade up and grab Haden. No way IMO Haden falls that far. From what I've read his game film is legit.

Last edited:
This reads like whom Kirwan thinks each team should draft, rather than what will actually happen. Is Bulaga going top 5? Thomas at 10? Tate going 19? Bryant at 27?

Seeing how we have the Titans second rounder, I think I make a move to get Morgan and see if we can't trade #22 and a second for #17 and a third.

Forced to choose at #22, I'd take Hughes or Gresham.

This reads like whom Kirwan thinks each team should draft, rather than what will actually happen.

I agree. That seems to be exactly what he did with this mock.

And to a certain extent I think his top fifteen is really solid.

And I think it is becoming more of a trend for teams to take performers instead of projections or character problems in the first round. That is why i see guys like Bryant, JPP, Campbell, etc. all sliding.

Anyone who has the Pats taking Brandon Graham doesn't pay attention to the Pats' system or coach's preferences. A 6-1 LB with 32 inch arms just ain't happening under Belichick. If they take a pass rusher early it will be a guy like Ricky Sapp (6'4, 34.5 inch arms) or maybe Sergio Kindle (6'3, 33 inch). They may also take a flier on a guy like Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Lang, or George Selvie in the middle rounds.

I love Graham, but I really can't see Belichick taking him in the 1st round.

Not a good draft for us. I would expect Belichick to trade down if this happened.

I do agree with Kirwan that Odrick probably doesn't make it to #22. I know some think he's a reach at #22 but he's one of the only guys in the draft who's ready to contribute as a 3-4 DE so I think he'll go quite early.

Totally agree. Odrick actually compares pretty favorably to the massively overdrafted Tyson Jackson.

Anyone who has the Pats taking Brandon Graham doesn't pay attention to the Pats' system or coach's preferences. A 6-1 LB with 32 inch arms just ain't happening under Belichick. If they take a pass rusher early it will be a guy like Ricky Sapp (6'4, 34.5 inch arms) or maybe Sergio Kindle (6'3, 33 inch). They may also take a flier on a guy like Jermaine Cunningham, Brandon Lang, or George Selvie in the middle rounds.

I love Graham, but I really can't see Belichick taking him in the 1st round.

I think it best to "never say never" when it comes to BB and the draft.

And while I agree, Granham lacks a lot of the qualities BB PREFERS at the position, this much is onvious. Graham is the best RUN defender out of ALL the 3-4 OLB/DE projects in this draft and that is the one reason I think BB might be tempted to take him.

PS: He is not usually a run around the blocker, he is usually a run through the blocker! I know BB loves those types.

I think it best to "never say never" when it comes to BB and the draft.

And while I agree, Granham lacks a lot of the qualities BB PREFERS at the position, this much is onvious. Graham is the best RUN defender out of ALL the 3-4 OLB/DE projects in this draft and that is the one reason I think BB might be tempted to take him.

PS: He is not usually a run around the blocker, he is usually a run through the blocker! I know BB loves those types.

I'd agree with you if Graham was a LB at college. But the combo of the bad height/arm length + the projection of him going from DE to LB seem like too much for Belichick to swallow in a 1st rounder. If, by some miracle, Graham slides into the end of round 1 or early round 2, I could see the Pats maybe moving up to get him in that 30-40 range. However, the chances of that are slim to none given the way Graham has performed at the combine and Senior Bowl.

And I think it is becoming more of a trend for teams to take performers instead of projections or character problems in the first round. That is why i see guys like Bryant, JPP, Campbell, etc. all sliding.

I utterly and completely agree with this statement. And that's why I think this draft is actually a lot more realistic than most others. Add Dunlap to that list as well. There's a run on pass rushers and good DL every year. And I wouldn't be surprised if out of Odrick, Graham, and Hughes, only 1 of them is still there at 22.

I think graham is a solid choice.......not perfect, but I think he will be a solid player and it fills one of the biggest needs.......similar guys have been very productive

what I think is interesting is that if iupati falls out of the first round, the pats need to start angling to move up a few picks to get him....you got vollmer, then iupati for your left side of the future should mankins not return, and if mankins does return, you have an awesome ROG...he would be a big boost to the running game as well as the percieved toughness of the OL.....a perfect specimen to use on 3-4 NT's

Mock draft 2.0: Berry's versatility has safety moving up the boards

I certainly hope that the Patriots would not pass on Dez Bryant to take Brandon Graham.

I think Graham would be great for bringing the rush, but Dez Bryant is top 5 talent.

He's your #1 receivers on a team that already has two Pro Bowlers, but in addition he's young.

If Dez Bryant were in the same draft class as Michael Floyd (Notre Dame), AJ Green (Georgia), Julio Jones (Alabama), and Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt), where do you think he would rank?

If Dez Bryant were in the same draft class as Michael Floyd (Notre Dame), AJ Green (Georgia), Julio Jones (Alabama), and Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt), where do you think he would rank?

I can't say about Jones or Green since I only watched those guys in one game each, but I put him easily ahead of both Baldwin and Floyd. of the 3 big Big12 WRs last year, I had Bryant higher rated than Maclin and Crabtree. i thought Bryant should have come out.

Last edited:
There's no way Dez Bryant should fall to #27. I could see him going as early as #3 to Tampa Bay whose offense SUX and badly needs an explosive playmaker.

Also it would suck if the Dolphins got Odrick and I think McClain will slide because of his Pro Day and revelation that he has Chrons.

Demaryius Thomas in the 1st round?

Anthony Davis at #8?

JPP will and should go WAY earlier than 24 as well. He's an athletic freak.

I see Clausen as the best QB in this draft, not Bradford. But we'll see soon who is the bust. Reminds me of the Bledsoe/Mirer draft. Bradford doesn't have near the arm that Clausen does and is coming of a shoulder injury.

What happens if you're drafting the next Chad Pennington at #1? You've doomed your franchise to mediocrity. I just don't get it. Taking Suh is the NO BRAINER, safe pick!

So basically, one of the worst mocks I've seen gets more comments than the mock I put up which though not perfect, is not nearly as full of errors as this one. :confused2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down