PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Kirwan's New Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could easily see the Pats dropping from 7 to 10, 9, or even 8. Why do you think they wouldn't?
Because in order to trade down you have to have someone willing to give up additional picks in order to move up.

If the Pats had the 8th or ninth pick, would you be clamoring for them to give up draft picks to move up to #7?

Me neither.

Last edited:
Because in order to trade down you have to have someone willing to give up additional picks in order to move up.

If the Pats had the 8th or ninth pick, would you be clamoring for them to give up draft picks to move up to #7?

Me neither.
The trade down he has is VERY possible, Cincy and New Orleans could very much be interested in getting Ellis if we don't ask for too much to move down. I'm not a fan of projecting trades but this one . . .

Why would Cinny want to trade up to get Ellis when the Pats and the Ravens dont need to take him? Ellis will just fall into their laps if they wait (baring another team trading up)

Why would Cinny want to trade up to get Ellis when the Pats and the Ravens dont need to take him? Ellis will just fall into their laps if they wait (baring another team trading up)

This has already been covered...

• Saints have DT as their top priority
  • The dropoff at DT after Ellis is steep
  • Ellis won't make it past Cincy at #9
  • The Pats are looking to trade down
  • The cost to move from #10 to #7 is exactly the value of the Saints 3rd round pick

If I can put this together, so can Cincy...

I think the Saints and Cincy are good potential trade partners for the patriots. They both might want Ellis or Dorsey in whom neither the patriots nor the ravens have interest. The patriots lose nothing and gain a 3rd or a 4th and a second later pick.

Is Neal fine? Is he a pro-bowl possibility? We've focused on OT's. Perhaps the opportunity and value really is at OG. And then a TE with the extra pick. The rest of the early draft should be all defense. And a 2nd, two 3rds and a 4th should be enough to get what we need.

Last edited:
The Bengals first pick...

A Cincy beat writer says, "I’m absolutely, positively convinced the Bengals should-must-will draft an offensive tackle with the No. 9 overall pick."

That's a FWIW.

Re: The Bengals first pick...

A Cincy beat writer says, "I’m absolutely, positively convinced the Bengals should-must-will draft an offensive tackle with the No. 9 overall pick."

That's a FWIW.

Levi Jones
Willie Anderson
Stacy Andrews
Andre Whitworth (in a pinch)
Palmer was sacked 17 times in 2007.

Now check out the Bungles depth chart at DT.

'Nuff said.

I think the Saints and Cincy are good potential trade partners for the patriots. They both might want Ellis or Dorsey in whom neither the patriots nor the ravens have interest. The patriots lose nothing and gain a 3rd or a 4th and a second later pick.

Is Neal fine? Is he a pro-bowl possibility? We've focused on OT's. Perhaps the opportunity and value really is at OG. And then a TE with the extra pick. The rest of the early draft should be all defense. And a 2nd, two 3rds and a 4th should be enough to get what we need.

This is the key point--both of them are likely looking at the same players. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats were able to get two extra picks (e.g., a 2008 3rd + a 2009 5th, etc.) or even a second-rounder (maybe in '09) if one of the two is desperate enough.

Of course, there is the argument as to why not trade with the JEST. Don't forget that if the JEST drop below the Pats, they run the risk of the Pats taking the player they most covet. It will definitely be an interesting game of chicken on draft day. :)

Re: The Bengals first pick...

Levi Jones
Willie Anderson
Stacy Andrews
Andre Whitworth (in a pinch)
Palmer was sacked 17 times in 2007.

Now check out the Bungles depth chart at DT.

'Nuff said.

Oh, I'm not disputing your point at all. And actually have no real interest in the topic. Just came across the beat writer's article by accident and thought I'd share it. Also, most of his readers think he's nuts to suggest an OT at #9. Read their responses here.

I don't buy it. Neal is, per Judas TomASSe, okay so where is the value of drafting another guard who would be at best is battling it out with Hochstein as top backup in year one. That's a lot of money to not really help the team out that much until year 3 or 4.

Many are projecting Albert to be a LT- he's big enough at 6'7", 300+ lbs. and very quick. He comes from Virginia where a certain someone by the name of Al Groh coaches- a BB confidant of course. So he may very well be on the BB radar.

Because there would be two reasons:

1. Gholston, Groves, or someone else they have their eye on isn't available.

2. The high price of top ten draft picks. We aren't exactly rolling in cap room.

The Pats have PLENTY of cap room. Also, they aren't as high priced in their first year against the cap as you want to believe.

This is the key point--both of them are likely looking at the same players. It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats were able to get two extra picks (e.g., a 2008 3rd + a 2009 5th, etc.) or even a second-rounder (maybe in '09) if one of the two is desperate enough.

Of course, there is the argument as to why not trade with the JEST. Don't forget that if the JEST drop below the Pats, they run the risk of the Pats taking the player they most covet. It will definitely be an interesting game of chicken on draft day. :)

I doubt that either would get all that desperate, or really need too. I still advocate trading the Patriots 1 and 2 to the Saints for thier 1 and 2. (About the same points wise.)

And I am sure either would try and trade with the Jets, but it really depends on who slides to 6. If it is Gholston, then in all lieklyhood the Patriots grab him at 7. If it is McFadden, then they might try to swing a trade with Dallas, if it is Ryan that slides then perhaps they take him while ahead of Baltimore, if Ellis and Dorsey fall, both Cincy and the Saints can afford to wait. All gonna depend on how the top 5 shake out.

I'm betting they go after Purdue OLB Cliff Avril (only coincidentally from Rosey's alma mater) in Round 2 to replace Colvin, even if they have to trade up, like they did for Eugene Wilson in '03. CBs will still be plentiful in Round 3 and 4, where BB/SP have 3 picks. Then they can mix in Vandy LB Goff or UTEP Safety Demps to shore up the remaining back 8 of the Defense.

I'm saying that I wouldn't be upset with Albert, bacause I know they'll be acting on good info from Groh, while bolstering an area of relative weakness. You can never have enough Big Tough FB Players. Would anyone blink an eye if they picked Dorsey, Ellis or either of the Longs at #7? I wouldn't.

I'm saying that I wouldn't be upset with Albert, bacause I know they'll be acting on good info from Groh, while bolstering an area of relative weakness. You can never have enough Big Tough FB Players. Would anyone blink an eye if they picked Dorsey, Ellis or either of the Longs at #7? I wouldn't.

I would, unless it is Chris Long.

None of the other guys fills a hole. Might be an upgrade, but a DL or an OL does not fill a hole this year. I want large contracts to go to guys who are going to fill holes.

Upgrades can be gotten playing the lower round lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes