PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Kirwan's New Mock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albert is the one O-lineman I'd love to see us take in the first round.

Don't be surprised to see the Patriots look at their offensive line for two reasons. One, they gave up a lot of sacks and pressures in the Super Bowl; and two, Belichick has taken many big offensive linemen with his first-round picks. Albert can play guard or tackle. The Patriots did not sign any significant talent to help the offensive line so far in free agency.

Huh?

The Patriots have selected ONE Offensive Linemen (Mankins) in the first round since Belichick took over as HC. They have selected a bunch of Defensive Linemen in the first round, though.

Oh, and something worth noting is exactly where NE's been selecting their O-linemen:
2000: Klemm (2nd), and Robinson-Randall (4th)
2001: Light (2nd), and Jones (4th)
2002: No O-linemen selected
2003: Koppen (5th)
2004: No O-linemen selected
2005: Mankins (1st), and Kaczur (3rd)
2006: O'Callaghan (5th), and Stevenson (6th)
2007: Oldenburg (5th), Hilliard (6th), and Mike Elgin (7th)

Mel Kiper had Albert going 5th overall

I added this to my draft howler thread.

Ha, I kind of laughed at that comment, as it was obviously inaccurate.

One thing he said about Groves (has him going to the Jags), that I actually liked:
Groves had 62 plays behind the line of scrimmage and eight forced fumbles in 22 starts.

Edit: I also hope Jonathan Stewart gets selected by a different team. Stewart and Barber would be a very powerful combination, as Stewart has size, speed, and receiving ability.

Last edited:
I don't buy it. Neal is, per Judas TomASSe, okay so where is the value of drafting another guard who would be at best is battling it out with Hochstein as top backup in year one. That's a lot of money to not really help the team out that much until year 3 or 4.

Huh?

The Patriots have selected ONE Offensive Linemen (Mankins) in the first round since Belichick took over as HC. They have selected a bunch of Defensive Linemen in the first round, though.
Belichick also drafted C Steve Evetitt in the first round in Cleveland. I wouldn't be surprised if he meant to say :

"Belichick has taken many big linemen with his first-round picks"

Then it would be very true with Everitt, Mankins, Seymour, Warren, Wilfork.

I can't believe Mel had Alberts going #5 to KC. I like Alberts alot, but this guy is not worthy of a top 10 selection.

I can't believe Mel had Alberts going #5 to KC. I like Alberts alot, but this guy is not worthy of a top 10 selection.
Mel's mock is here :

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&page=kipermock080401

It's in the free section so I guess I can C&P the top ten :

"1 Miami Dolphins Jake Long, OT Michigan
2 St. Louis Rams Chris Long, DE Virginia
3 Atlanta Falcons Glenn Dorsey, DT LSU
4 Oakland Raiders *Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas
5 Kansas City Chiefs *Branden Albert, OT/G Virginia
6 New York Jets *Vernon Gholston, DE Ohio St.
7 New England Patriots (from SF) *Aqib Talib, CB Kansas
8 Baltimore Ravens Matt Ryan, QB Boston College
9 Cincinnati Bengals Sedrick Ellis, DT USC
10 New Orleans Saints Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB Tennessee St."

This mock sucks. If we trade out of the #7 pick, we're not staying in the top ten. Unless Cinci wants to give his Chad Johnson at a discounted price (for all the idiots about to flame me, I'm joking).

Belichick also drafted C Steve Evetitt in the first round in Cleveland. I wouldn't be surprised if he meant to say :

"Belichick has taken many big linemen with his first-round picks"

Then it would be very true with Everitt, Mankins, Seymour, Warren, Wilfork.

I also thought of that possibility, but I can't say his actual intentions differed from what's been offered up. I guess you could easily make that mistake, but I would have cross checked that, before posting it on NFL.com.

Two O-linemen in the first round over his 13 year HC career is actually a very small amount, especially when you consider he's had two first round picks during some of those drafts.

Last edited:
This mock sucks. If we trade out of the #7 pick, we're not staying in the top ten. Unless Cinci wants to give his Chad Johnson at a discounted price (for all the idiots about to flame me, I'm joking).

I could easily see the Pats dropping from 7 to 10, 9, or even 8. Why do you think they wouldn't?

I could easily see the Pats dropping from 7 to 10, 9, or even 8. Why do you think they wouldn't?

Because there would be two reasons:

1. Gholston, Groves, or someone else they have their eye on isn't available.

2. The high price of top ten draft picks. We aren't exactly rolling in cap room.

Because there would be two reasons:

1. Gholston, Groves, or someone else they have their eye on isn't available.

2. The high price of top ten draft picks. We aren't exactly rolling in cap room.

Selecting someone at 7th overall wouldn't effect NE's 2008 cap very much at all. I believe the max NE's 2008 cap hit for that player would be $2.142M.

The overall contract total would be significant, but you can also place incentives within the contract.

Remember last draft who all of the local scribes picked for the Pats? :rolleyes: Therefore, the national media hasn't a clue who we'll take at #7 -- or the kind of player BB wants. These experts just pull ranked names out of their hats. 'Oh, they lost Colvin -- give them an edge rusher. They lost Samuel -- give them a CB. Their O-line looked terrible in the SB -- give them an OT.' Considering their vast resources, it would be refreshing to see at least one national scribe do some homework.

Remember last draft who all of the local scribes picked for the Pats? :rolleyes: Therefore, the national media hasn't a clue who we'll take at #7 -- or the kind of player BB wants. These experts just pull ranked names out of their hats. 'Oh, they lost Colvin -- give them an edge rusher. They lost Samuel -- give them a CB. Their O-line looked terrible in the SB -- give them an OT.' Considering their vast resources, it would be refreshing to see at least one national scribe do some homework.

I agree with you on the O-Line part, but who do we take if it's not a LB or CB (the two most glaring open spots on our roster)?

I like Kirwan's analysis, but his draft guesses suck.

Maybe that's why he's an analyst......

Kirwan spent eight years (1989 to ’97) with the NY Jets, most recently as the director of player administration and before that as the assistant pro personnel director and defensive assistant.

Would this be the time period with all the farcical Jets drafts on youtube?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/archives/pat_kirwan/

Last edited:

I agree. Assuming that Ryan and McFadden are gone by #7, the Pats main chip to play is Ellis. The Bengals, Saints and Broncos will all likely have Ellis at the top of their board at that point with a significant dropoff to the next player. Clady is fine but there would be a good number of solid tackles still on the board.

The cost to move up (3rd or 4th round pick) wouldn't be tremendous and everyone would know Ellis wouldn't make it past #9. I could see the Saints offering a 3rd to jump ahead of the Bengals. Less sure about the Broncos since they could sit at 12 and get a solid OL prospect.

I'm not sure I can see too many other teams (Tampa at #20?) willing to jump up to get Ellis. If Ryan or McFadden are still available at #7, lots of teams are in play...but I still believe the most likely scenario is a swap with NO for a 3rd round pick.

Tough to get too upset if the Pats use their first pick to upgrade a spot on the OL. It might not be sexy, but anything that helps to keep Brady's jersey clean on Sunday is fine by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots