Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by slash83, Jan 16, 2008.
What can you say... this is great stuff. Please send this link to the local and national hacks who could barely identify the most basic of football technique.
Kirwan is the best writer out there.
this article is so off base.
1. Merriman minus roids is not the same player.
2. Seriously..do we think LT is gonna be effective? I can see michael turner being mroe effective. if LT miraculously heals in one week then he was a girly man for not going back in.
3. Rodney has taken on great tight ends all season(witten, clark). do we seriously believe gates is gonna shred rodney? rodney didn't get to play in the first game because of his suspension.
4. in the first matchup seymour and harrison didn't play. SD traded for chambers.
I think Kirwan is being ultra conservative. the chargers have a lot of variables to deal with like weather, injuries, travel, full strength of the pats, and dealing with the Pats and their good defense and high powered offense.
the charges need alot of things to go their way and the pats don't give gifts.
Kirwan is a great read and even better on Sirius everyday. Lots of insider knowledge from his days working in the Jets front office.
Don't forget we're without Colvin this time too and he was a monster in that first game. Plus his presence allowed Thomas to play inside. He hasn't had the same impact since he started filling in for him.
I think Kirwan is right on in his analysis. I'd be more willing to think blowout too if the D has been generating a few more 3 and outs lately.
I guess it doesn't matter with his opinion, I respect him because he uses analysis to reach his conclusion instead of writing 'the Pats will win because it is the density' or some other crap. Looking at your list.
1) Merrimen has played well down the stretch and was harassing Manning all game, my guess is the Patriots have prepared for the good Merrimen not the invisible one. Light stood his ground in SD last year, in the cold at Gillette he will be fine.
2) LT may not be effective but Turner or Sproles can step right in. The Pats will blitz a little more this game but will generally stay conservative. The SD is a sitting duck, it doesn't matter who plays.
3) Rodney did great against Clark but not so good against Whitten. If the Patriots play in a nickel package the Chargers will run the ball down their throat, at heart SD is still a power running team.
4) Seymour & Harrison are huge, the weather may keep the Patriots under 30. I don't think his 35-17 score is conservative, I actually expect about the same as Jacksonville - 28-20.
I think this game could get out of hand if rivers or volek turns the ball over plus he chargers will not be able to keep pace with the pats score for score.
i expect the game plan to be conservative first half and the game will be blown up middle of third.
I agree on colvin, he's so underated we take him for granted. i hope they bring him back.
the defense was not producing many 3 and out first half going back to the giants game because they were not blitzing until the second half.
i think they might try blitzing 2 or 3 times picking their spots in the first half but for most part being conservative and keeping everything in front of them.
If you think reading Pat Kirwin is good, it's even better listening to him every day on Sirius Satellite Radio's NFL channel. He's the best there is IMO.
SD can & will implode if they fall behind by 14+ by halftime.
They are an entirely too emotional team.
Kirwan's knowledge and facts
make his projections easy to believe.
I could see it happening the way Kirwan sees it.
It's hard to make exact predictions but his reasoning seems sound.
I think the Pats win by at least 2 scores.
The weather might be a factor in keeping down the scoring in this game.
Now that would make me happy! Maybe there should be a NFL Sounds of the Game 'uncut' addition, I would love to hear the fans giving it to Rivers and LT .
it'll be tomlinson up at the podium after the game instead of owens.
it's not fair... as the tears come rolling down his cheeks.
Tom Brady only threw 8 INTs, not 9. Otherwise, good article from Kirwan, as usual.
ESPN is pretty much assuming that SD is playing Cromartie man-man on Moss the whole game and shifting everybody else to accomodate. WHY does Kirwan state so admamently that Jammer is going to get Moss????
Not that it is a horrible idea; if you are going to double Moss you might as well take your better CB and put him on the other guy and try to take advantage of an overmatch there.
But it seems totally out of synch with everyone on ESPN. Thoughts???
Rodney will be fine against a hobbled Gates. Unless Gates pulls a bloody sock with his foot injury, he'll still be hobbled, and check out Rodney vs:
Dallas Clark: 2 rec for 15 yds
Jason Witten: 3 rec for 47 yds
Separate names with a comma.