PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Kirwan on the trade culture

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If anyone can get the underachieving Sullivan to play the way a first-round DT should play, it will be Seymour, who is emerging as the leader of the Patriots defense now that Willie McGinest is playing for the Browns."

He forgot about Tedy.

One thing I noticed. Sullivan has 77 tackles in his career and only 17 starts (and 36 games total). That's 4.53 tackles per start (2.14 per game).

Richard Seymour has 244 tackles in 71 career games (I can't find a site that gives me starts, but Seymour has started most, if not all, games he has played in, aside from the very beginning of 2001). Seymour has 3.44 tackles per game(/start).

Vince Wilfork has 67 career tackles in 32 games (Wilfork split time with Traylor his first year). That's 2.09 tackles per game.

In 48 career games, Ty Warren has 149 career tackles. That's 3.10 tackles per game.

Just one way to look at it, and I know there are quite a great deal of fallacies in this measurement (the sack numbers are way off... .25 sacks per Seymour start vs. .08 sacks per Sullivan start, taking Sullivan's tackles from games where he didn't start into consideration, etc.) Kind of an interesting stat, though.

Last edited:
Well I am assuming that Sullivan played minutes in the games he didn't start as well. So please don't make the false assumption that Sully was outtackling any of our guys. I bet on a tackle per minutes played basis, Warren, Seymour, and Green had him beat.

But hey Sully might turn it around in NE, that's what we're all hoping.

dryheat44 said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9482175

I hadn't heard that the Pats made Peerless an offer.

..and the Pats didn't match the Bill's offer? Cheap bastards!

Kirwain said:
As one general manage said the other day, "We could see a significant increase in trades around our league over the next two years."

Duh, you think? Let's see - a new rule allows you to stretch cap accelartions for traded players over 2 years but they come due in full when players are cut.

Seeing as nearly every team has some players like BJ and Sullivan, is there any reason they would cut them rather than trade?

You've heard of the "sign and trade"? Now get used to the term "trade and cut"

VJCPatriot said:
please don't make the false assumption that Sully was outtackling any of our guys. I bet on a tackle per minutes played basis, Warren, Seymour, and Green had him beat.
How do you know it's a false assumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
primetime said:
"If anyone can get the underachieving Sullivan to play the way a first-round DT should play, it will be Seymour, who is emerging as the leader of the Patriots defense now that Willie McGinest is playing for the Browns."

He forgot about Tedy.

One thing I noticed. Sullivan has 77 tackles in his career and only 17 starts (and 36 games total). That's 4.53 tackles per start (2.14 per game).

Richard Seymour has 244 tackles in 71 career games (I can't find a site that gives me starts, but Seymour has started most, if not all, games he has played in, aside from the very beginning of 2001). Seymour has 3.44 tackles per game(/start).

Vince Wilfork has 67 career tackles in 32 games (Wilfork split time with Traylor his first year). That's 2.09 tackles per game.

In 48 career games, Ty Warren has 149 career tackles. That's 3.10 tackles per game.

Just one way to look at it, and I know there are quite a great deal of fallacies in this measurement (the sack numbers are way off... .25 sacks per Seymour start vs. .08 sacks per Sullivan start, taking Sullivan's tackles from games where he didn't start into consideration, etc.) Kind of an interesting stat, though.

The biggest problem with the tackle and sack measures is that the Pats' defensive line is responsible for not letting something bad happen, while a lot of others are responsible for making something good happen. Basically, their job is to get the O Line neutralized and let the linebackers make the play... this is one reason Pats fans, a lot of NFL coaches, and personnel guys tend to say Seymour is the best defensive lineman (or sometimes, the best defensive player,) in the game, while the football press and most fans go "Huh? What about that Dwight Freeney guy? He won me my fantasy league last year..."

PFnV

All that's true. Hence why I said there was plenty of error in that analysis. New Orleans also plays a completely different system where defensive linemen put up pretty good statistics, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back