PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Chung!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainefan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
How about some recognition for Pat Chung. He made the tackle that saved the game, on Green Bay's last play. We're lucky to have him.

The guy definitely deserves a shout out for his overall play last night. His coverage skills could be better, but the guy is always around the ball and his tackling skills are SOUND.

How about some recognition for Pat Chung. He made the tackle that saved the game, on Green Bay's last play. We're lucky to have him.

The guy is a beast, and we all know in this forum how great he is ( Uber super player). Just search the board, you will find multiple threads about him.

# 1-10-NE 24 (1:05) (Shotgun) 10-M.Flynn sacked at NE 32 for -8 yards (52-D.Fletcher). WATCH HIGHLIGHT
# Timeout #3 by GB at 00:53.
# 2-18-NE 32 :)53) (Shotgun) 10-M.Flynn pass short middle to 89-J.Jones to NE 25 for 7 yards (52-D.Fletcher, 59-G.Guyton).
# 3-11-NE 25 :)29) (Shotgun) 10-M.Flynn pass short middle to 80-D.Driver to NE 15 for 10 yards (25-P.Chung).
# 4-1-NE 15 :)05) (Shotgun) 10-M.Flynn sacked at NE 18 for -3 yards (95-T.Banta-Cain). FUMBLES (95-T.Banta-Cain) [95-T.Banta-Cain], RECOVERED by NE-75-V.Wilfork at NE 15. 75-V.Wilfork to NE 15 for no gain (63-S.Wells).

*applause!*

IMO he is the best tackler on the team. He stops their forward progress and he wraps them up. He hit with such explosiveness it's a matter of him before he starts forcing fumbles.

Last edited:

That was a good play, but he was almost directly responsible for the touchdown where Merriweather knocked over McCourty.

(merriweather came forward to cover Chung's man, who had managed to run right through Chung's jam at the line, and that caused him to have a tough angle and run into McCourty).

He looks great for a 2nd year player, but hes not even the best safety on the team, let alone one of the better ones in the NFL.

That was a great tackle, but before that tackle i was wondering why i wasn't hearing Chungs name more. Maybe it was me but up until then he didn't seem to be much of a factor and i thought he might still be hurt.

That was a great tackle, but before that tackle i was wondering why i wasn't hearing Chungs name more. Maybe it was me but up until then he didn't seem to be much of a factor and i thought he might still be hurt.

He didn't have a very good game, honestly. He was covering the slot quite a bit, and he got beat quite a few times (although, the fact that you can put him against WRs is pretty good, him being a safety and all).

He had another nice open field tackle earlier in the game. I think it might have been for a loss.

Either way, I think he's one of the better tacklers on the Pats, if not the best. Hit and wrap. Textbook.

]
Either way, I think he's one of the better tacklers on the Pats, if not the best. Hit and wrap. Textbook.

It seems like a lot of the younger guys tackle well. I'm not sure if they're doing a better job in TC on coaching this, of they're drafting for it or something, but McCourty, Chung, Mayo, are all pretty much textbook taclkers.

It seems like a lot of the younger guys tackle well. I'm not sure if they're doing a better job in TC on coaching this, of they're drafting for it or something, but McCourty, Chung, Mayo, are all pretty much textbook taclkers.

What I love about Chung is that he understands the lost art of being an enforcer while still displaying sound fundamentals. Now if he could learn how to cover he'd be really good.

And Merriweather seems like the worst tackler on the team, he seems to run along with the ball carrier and then try to tackle him by the shoulders. Considering he made the Pro Bowl last year (mostly due to injuries), he's easily the most disappointing player on the Pats defense this year. Definitely not one of BB's best #1 picks. Boderline bust.

And Merriweather seems like the worst tackler on the team, he seems to run along with the ball carrier and then try to tackle him by the shoulders. Considering he made the Pro Bowl last year (mostly due to injuries), he's easily the most disappointing player on the Pats defense this year. Definitely not one of BB's best #1 picks. Boderline bust.

Bust? He's the best safety on the team right now. Chung shows a lot of potential, but part of the reason Merriweather is playing 20 yards off the LOS all the time is that Chung can't cover.

Bust? He's the best safety on the team right now. Chung shows a lot of potential, but part of the reason Merriweather is playing 20 yards off the LOS all the time is that Chung can't cover.

After his horrible angles once again last night...i would say Chung is better

Chung vs Meriweather
Everyone's Binky vs New Team Scapegoat

After his horrible angles once again last night...i would say Chung is better

He took that horrible angle because Chung got beat badly by the slot receiver he was covering, who was running uncovered up the middle of the field, and Merriweather had to drift inside to cover him.

Yeah, Merriweather shouldn't have Adrian Beltre'd McCourty, but he was out of position because of Chung's inability to cover his guy.

Chung vs Meriweather
Everyone's Binky vs New Team Scapegoat

Well said. I like both guys, but I try to keep my expectations of them grounded. However, I do think it's pretty undeniable that both have shown flashes of potential greatness. Let's all hope they capitalize on their abilities.

Last edited:
What I find most interesting about the television broadcasts of Patriots' games is the way the announcers talk up whoever the opponent is and celebrate individual plays they make as if they're the greatest thing they've ever seen.

Yet when the Patriots make those same plays (Sergio Brown vs. Gates, Chung vs. Driver), the importance of the play, in the situation it came in, is almost never pointed out by the announcers. This seems to happen whether it's FOX, CBS, NBC or ESPN.

Al Michaels and Jim Nantz in particular, even though I really like them as broadcasters, seem to get very excited (raised voice) when a Patriots opponent makes a play, but when Fletcher made a possibly game-saving sack, and Chung made a potentially game-saving tackle, it's like it's just another ho-hum moment for the Patriots.

My view of broadcasters is that they are there to explain to the audience why such a play is so important, even though it's not as obvious as a touchdown or interception. I wish they would do a better job when the Pats play. Sometimes it feels like the Pats are 'expected' to make plays, and the other teams aren't, just based on the tone of the announcers' voices.

Last edited:
He took that horrible angle because Chung got beat badly by the slot receiver he was covering, who was running uncovered up the middle of the field, and Merriweather had to drift inside to cover him.

Yeah, Merriweather shouldn't have Adrian Beltre'd McCourty, but he was out of position because of Chung's inability to cover his guy.

You have good point about Chungs' ability to cover WR/TE. I think he has regressed in this area since his knee injury 4/5 weeks ago. It could be injury, I think it may a similar situation to Mayo's last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes