Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pat Chung!

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Mainefan, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

How about some recognition for Pat Chung. He made the tackle that saved the game, on Green Bay's last play. We're lucky to have him.
  2. fair catch fryar

fair catch fryar Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

The guy definitely deserves a shout out for his overall play last night. His coverage skills could be better, but the guy is always around the ball and his tackling skills are SOUND.
  3. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

The guy is a beast, and we all know in this forum how great he is ( Uber super player). Just search the board, you will find multiple threads about him.
  4. Haley

Haley Rookie

Ratings:
    +193 / 4 / -0

*applause!*
  5. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 1 / -0

IMO he is the best tackler on the team. He stops their forward progress and he wraps them up. He hit with such explosiveness it's a matter of him before he starts forcing fumbles.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  6. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

That was a good play, but he was almost directly responsible for the touchdown where Merriweather knocked over McCourty.

(merriweather came forward to cover Chung's man, who had managed to run right through Chung's jam at the line, and that caused him to have a tough angle and run into McCourty).

He looks great for a 2nd year player, but hes not even the best safety on the team, let alone one of the better ones in the NFL.
  7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

That was a great tackle, but before that tackle i was wondering why i wasn't hearing Chungs name more. Maybe it was me but up until then he didn't seem to be much of a factor and i thought he might still be hurt.
  8. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He didn't have a very good game, honestly. He was covering the slot quite a bit, and he got beat quite a few times (although, the fact that you can put him against WRs is pretty good, him being a safety and all).
  9. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +645 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

He had another nice open field tackle earlier in the game. I think it might have been for a loss.

Either way, I think he's one of the better tacklers on the Pats, if not the best. Hit and wrap. Textbook.
  10. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

It seems like a lot of the younger guys tackle well. I'm not sure if they're doing a better job in TC on coaching this, of they're drafting for it or something, but McCourty, Chung, Mayo, are all pretty much textbook taclkers.
  11. MustaphaM0nd

MustaphaM0nd Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What I love about Chung is that he understands the lost art of being an enforcer while still displaying sound fundamentals. Now if he could learn how to cover he'd be really good.
  12. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +174 / 76 / -62

#87 Jersey

And Merriweather seems like the worst tackler on the team, he seems to run along with the ball carrier and then try to tackle him by the shoulders. Considering he made the Pro Bowl last year (mostly due to injuries), he's easily the most disappointing player on the Pats defense this year. Definitely not one of BB's best #1 picks. Boderline bust.
  13. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Bust? He's the best safety on the team right now. Chung shows a lot of potential, but part of the reason Merriweather is playing 20 yards off the LOS all the time is that Chung can't cover.
  14. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +700 / 6 / -2

#95 Jersey

After his horrible angles once again last night...i would say Chung is better
  15. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Chung vs Meriweather
    Everyone's Binky vs New Team Scapegoat
  16. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

He took that horrible angle because Chung got beat badly by the slot receiver he was covering, who was running uncovered up the middle of the field, and Merriweather had to drift inside to cover him.

Yeah, Merriweather shouldn't have Adrian Beltre'd McCourty, but he was out of position because of Chung's inability to cover his guy.
  17. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Well said. I like both guys, but I try to keep my expectations of them grounded. However, I do think it's pretty undeniable that both have shown flashes of potential greatness. Let's all hope they capitalize on their abilities.
  18. tobias funke

tobias funke Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What I find most interesting about the television broadcasts of Patriots' games is the way the announcers talk up whoever the opponent is and celebrate individual plays they make as if they're the greatest thing they've ever seen.

Yet when the Patriots make those same plays (Sergio Brown vs. Gates, Chung vs. Driver), the importance of the play, in the situation it came in, is almost never pointed out by the announcers. This seems to happen whether it's FOX, CBS, NBC or ESPN.

Al Michaels and Jim Nantz in particular, even though I really like them as broadcasters, seem to get very excited (raised voice) when a Patriots opponent makes a play, but when Fletcher made a possibly game-saving sack, and Chung made a potentially game-saving tackle, it's like it's just another ho-hum moment for the Patriots.

My view of broadcasters is that they are there to explain to the audience why such a play is so important, even though it's not as obvious as a touchdown or interception. I wish they would do a better job when the Pats play. Sometimes it feels like the Pats are 'expected' to make plays, and the other teams aren't, just based on the tone of the announcers' voices.
  19. pats_premi

pats_premi Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You have good point about Chungs' ability to cover WR/TE. I think he has regressed in this area since his knee injury 4/5 weeks ago. It could be injury, I think it may a similar situation to Mayo's last season.
  20. MustaphaM0nd

MustaphaM0nd Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Meriweather, unlike Chung, is not a liability in coverage.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.