PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Chung

Status
Not open for further replies.
I admit I really can't remember his rookie season. I knew it wasn't spectacular. The stats were decent for a rookie.

He was lost his rookie season. That's not unexpected and shows why placing "bust" on rookies should not be done.

Ofcourse, that was 2003 and the Steelers went 6-10 with an old, slow defense.

I stand corrected. Though a 34 is essentially a late first rounder.

So is 30 an early 2nd rounder?

If you start playing that game, you'll tie yourself in knots. He's an early 2nd. "It is what it is."

There is no question that Chung is a Patriots type of guy. He works really hard and is a team leader and hits hard but my question is about his coverage skills. At this point I really do not know whether he is good in coverage or not but I am a little suspicious. I could be all wrong on this but I do not seem to remember him making many of any plays in coverage.

If coverage is a weakness then teams will go after him if they can.

Looking forward to seeing him. Agreed that according to reports, it's Jekyll Hyde. One day can't cover anyone, the next the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I expect and hope that BB is going to use all the DBs in amazing mind blowing coverages. I could see Chung and Meriweather getting most snaps, but Sanders and McGowan getting some too.

Maybe the strength of the D will provide a supplement to the pass rush too. Hybrid here we come?

Ok kind of weird but this is one of the guys I want to see against our WR's. Most think Colstons is the best but, Henderson and Arrington run better routes.
Lance Moore is our best route runner, I want to see what Chung can do vs Moore.

Chung looked lost at times last year, but by all accounts he's smart, a hard worker, a quick learner, and he showed that he's physically gifted. That's the profile of someone who stands to potentially make a major rookie-sophomore leap. And hey, even if he doesn't, I have no problem at all with James Sanders as a starter. It works out pretty well, all in all...

From all the early TC writeups, the thing that jumped out at me is that Chung is apparently the one who everyone else in the secondary looks to for instruction. That's rare for a second year guy, even moreso when you consider that he's only 22. Speaks to the kind of presence that he has; as long as he can become even passable in coverage, I think he has a chance to be a helluva player for us.

Last edited:
I (as well as many others) think Meriweather is better suited for FS, but does anyone think that the transition will be difficult at all? I would think he has enough experience at both positions, but his full-time job was at SS.

Looking forward to seeing him. Agreed that according to reports, it's Jekyll Hyde. One day can't cover anyone, the next the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I expect and hope that BB is going to use all the DBs in amazing mind blowing coverages. I could see Chung and Meriweather getting most snaps, but Sanders and McGowan getting some too.

Maybe the strength of the D will provide a supplement to the pass rush too. Hybrid here we come?

Have thought all along that BB is beginning to morph into different d alignments.. with the new quality components and maturity, can see the use of three safeties.. imagine the quandary for the opposing O if Chung or Sanders is playing close to the line..

Hybrid is a good term, have heard "stack 3".. and various other combinations.. without regard, many believe that BB was "psychotically asleep" while drafting pass rushers, maybe this is one of the answers..

I (as well as many others) think Meriweather is better suited for FS, but does anyone think that the transition will be difficult at all? I would think he has enough experience at both positions, but his full-time job was at SS.

In this defense, I wouldn't expect the transition to be too tough. The Pats use their safeties more interchangeably than most. And since Meriweather's tackling is still one of the weaker points in his game, it's probably a beneficial switch on that basis alone.

Chung looked lost at times last year, but by all accounts he's smart, a hard worker, a quick learner, and he showed that he's physically gifted. That's the profile of someone who stands to potentially make a major rookie-sophomore leap. And hey, even if he doesn't, I have no problem at all with James Sanders as a starter. It works out pretty well, all in all...

From all the early TC writeups, the thing that jumped out at me is that Chung is apparently the one who everyone else in the secondary looks to for instruction. That's rare for a second year guy, even moreso when you consider that he's only 22. Speaks to the kind of presence that he has; as long as he can become even passable in coverage, I think he has a chance to be a helluva player for us.

Yeah, coverage was apparently where he was weakest as a rookie. I remember him getting abused in the Philly preseason game (if memory serves me correctly). Anyway, everything I've read suggests that he is leaps and bounds better so far. We'll see in preseason.

Have thought all along that BB is beginning to morph into different d alignments.. with the new quality components and maturity, can see the use of three safeties.. imagine the quandary for the opposing O if Chung or Sanders is playing close to the line..

Hybrid is a good term, have heard "stack 3".. and various other combinations.. without regard, many believe that BB was "psychotically asleep" while drafting pass rushers, maybe this is one of the answers..

I'm not an X and O guy, but I remember how BB was looking for Tank Williams and maybe Lynch to fill that role and he just picked up an injured safety from Denver whose only outstanding quality I can see is size. Even special teamer Don Davis was used at safety and was not big enough to play LB in our regular defense (though he probably did).

When we had Rodney, we had a versatile player who could also play that role. Chung is listed only two pounds heavier than Sanders, which I'm not sure is accurate, but he certainly hits harder, which is not a knock on Sanders who I consider solid and who wraps up well on tackles, unlike a lot of safeties.

That's quite encouraging, that would put him ahead of where Merriweather was at this point in his career.

If he and Butler do start, that makes 3 starters from last year's draft class. With Tate, Pryor, and Edelman expected to have significant contributions as well. Not too shabby, 2009

So is 30 an early 2nd rounder?

If you start playing that game, you'll tie yourself in knots. He's an early 2nd. "It is what it is."

Basically, yes.

I guess we can add illiterate and incapable of comprehension to the list of Mey, Blo! qualities.

I stated "He was lost his rookie season". What does that mean?

Well, it means he was on the field and completely clueless and useless. You should completely understand that feeling since you have expertise on the matter.

How do I know this? Attending 6 home games at Heinz and watching the balance helped.

Watching football. What an idea to do before commenting on a site.
Sorry, I misunderstood you. Like I said in the post above, he was bad his rookie season. And of course, you will find anything to argue with me about. But then again, if you would take a second and stop insulting people, you would've noticed I already said in a previous post that he played in 16 games his rookie season. That's when you could've corrected me and say that he was "lost" his rookie season. But, as usual, you overlook that and go on some other rant.

Last edited:
Good stuff. I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Needless to say, Chung's hitting power shouldn't be questioned. He can be a real force to be reckoned with in regards to receivers making catches over the field. If he can combine that punishing nature with the ballhawking skills he showed in college combined with the potential progression of Butler and any upgrade we can get in nickel and dime packages, suffice it to say that this secondary could get MUCH better than it's 2009 addition.

Good stuff. I'm not sure how I missed this thread. Needless to say, Chung's hitting power shouldn't be questioned. He can be a real force to be reckoned with in regards to receivers making catches over the field. If he can combine that punishing nature with the ballhawking skills he showed in college combined with the potential progression of Butler and any upgrade we can get in nickel and dime packages, suffice it to say that this secondary could get MUCH better than it's 2009 addition.

There are so many reasons to think this secondary will be better than 09.

1) Who did we lose from last years secondary? Springs.

2) Continuity - this will be the second season together for our 2 best DBs Merriweather and Bodden and Merriweather should have the same guy(Chung) next to him in the base for the season.

3) improvement from two rookies from last year Chung and Butler

4) a First round rookie.

5) some guys who have been average move into smaller roles that they would seemingly have a better chance of succeeding at.

6) While they are young and suceptable to play fakes we should by virtue of speed have a better coverage unit out of the LB group

7) while how much, if at all, it seems as though we should have, at least a slightly improved pass rush. There are a lot of ifs when it comes to the pass rush not the least of which are if Tully can replicate and if Burgess comes back but ignoring those two issues we have added interior rusher on the Dline and added guys who can blitz from the ILB spot in a returning McKenzie and rookie Spikes. And we added an a rookie OLB too.

Last edited:
There are so many reasons to think this secondary will be better than 09.

1) Who did we lose from last years secondary? Springs.

2) Continuity - this will be the second season together for our 2 best DBs Merriweather and Bodden and Merriweather should have the same guy(Chung) next to him in the base for the season.

3) improvement from two rookies from last year Chung and Butler

4) a First round rookie.

5) some guys who have been average move into smaller roles that they would seemingly have a better chance of succeeding at.

6) While they are young and suceptable to play fakes we should by virtue of speed have a better coverage unit out of the LB group

7) while how much, if at all, it seems as though we should have, at least a slightly improved pass rush. There are a lot of ifs when it comes to the pass rush not the least of which are if Tully can replicate and if Burgess comes back but ignoring those two issues we have added interior rusher on the Dline and added guys who can blitz from the ILB spot in a returning McKenzie and rookie Spikes. And we added an a rookie OLB too.

sign

One thing I do not believe you commented on was pass rush pressure
through the middle. Did you see any sign that Spikes or Mac can provide?

It seems we have enough for the lesser offenses but will need this for the elite offenses.

sign

One thing I do not believe you commented on was pass rush pressure
through the middle. Did you see any sign that Spikes or Mac can provide?

It seems we have enough for the lesser offenses but will need this for the elite offenses.

I did make note of interior rush in point 7.

At camp I have noticed the dline as got some decent pressure and I have seen Pryor, Lewis, G, Warren, and Wright all get a decent rush up the middle at different times (keep in mind I am just recalling instances where I noticed this).

As for the ILBs I have seen Mayo, Spikes, and McKenzie all shoot gaps pretty nice though to be honest as I think back I thinking more of some nice fills in the run game that I think would compute to a rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back