PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pat Chung verses Delmas and Alphonso Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gene Chung verses Delmas and Alphonso Smith

No doubt. The probable defensive player of the year this year at our weakest position in 2009 and 2010.

William Moore is playing as well as Chung at strong safety and was drafted late in the second round.

Would have been sweet to get Denver's 2010 1st rounder for the Chung pick.

Maualuga could have helped last year in a big way, and freed up the pick we used on Spikes, who is only slightly better and equally limited to 1st and 2nd downs. Spikes played just 17 snaps vs Det.

Delmas is good, and Smith was released by Denver, not traded.

Not sure what the point of the original post was.

I'm not sure if Matthews would have been effective in our system. He's a great pass rusher, fits really well into the Packers system, and maybe he would have been great with us too.

But there's no way you can argue for that rock-head Mauluga.

I'm not sure if Matthews would have been effective in our system. He's a great pass rusher, fits really well into the Packers system, and maybe he would have been great with us too.

But there's no way you can argue for that rock-head Mauluga.

2009 draft- BB begins and ends the draft believing that Crable and Woods could man the OLB posts better than anybody available at our picks, and that Gary Guyton and a soon to retire Bruschi were better answers at ILB than anybody available and passed on in the draft. BB also assumed that Mayo would do just fine in the Ted Johnson role.

The 2009 season was a bust and a wasted season as a result.

Maualuga had a good rookie season, comparable to Spikes' season this year. They are both strong, instinctive 2 down only thumpers, intangibles aside.
saintly philosophers are not required for that role.

McKenzie was picked up in the late 3rd round, as a half effort to get a thumper. Austin Collie was picked right after.

I'd rather have Maualuga, Collie, and somebody else with the Spikes second round pick, and a more successful 2009 season and playoff game against Baltimore (running it right up the gut), than McKenzie, Spikes, and an unsuccessful 2009 season because of glaring, unaddressed weaknesses at linebacker, with 3 non-factor 2nd rounders, and 2 non-factor 3rd rounders sitting on the bench.

2009 draft- BB begins and ends the draft believing that Crable and Woods could man the OLB posts better than anybody available at our picks, and that Gary Guyton and a soon to retire Bruschi were better answers at ILB than anybody available and passed on in the draft. BB also assumed that Mayo would do just fine in the Ted Johnson role.

The 2009 season was a bust and a wasted season as a result.

Maualuga had a good rookie season, comparable to Spikes' season this year. They are both strong, instinctive 2 down only thumpers, intangibles aside.
saintly philosophers are not required for that role.

McKenzie was picked up in the late 3rd round, as a half effort to get a thumper. Austin Collie was picked right after.

I'd rather have Maualuga, Collie, and somebody else with the Spikes second round pick, and a more successful 2009 season and playoff game against Baltimore (running it right up the gut), than McKenzie, Spikes, and an unsuccessful 2009 season because of glaring, unaddressed weaknesses at linebacker, with 3 non-factor 2nd rounders, and 2 non-factor 3rd rounders sitting on the bench.

I don't know if it was a belief that those guys could man those spots so much as we had a LOT of needs on D after 2008. It was clear that we needed help at every spot other than Mayo's after 2008.

Our top 3 picks were spent on D, and there was a lot of trading down and acquiring extra picks to help re-build this team. We went from 4 picks in the top 3 rounds to 8 picks, trading two of them into the 2010 draft.

It's easy to go back and cherry-pick names from the draft board after the fact. And with the value of hindsight, it's easy to say McKenzie was a wasted pick. But what if he hadn't gotten injured in rookie mini-camp? The kid had a lot of potential, and you couldn't say for certain that Collie was a better play on the day they were picked.

I think we did some really solid things within the draft and got a lot of value out of it. No, it wasn't perfect, but we got a lot of value out of trading out of the first round instead of taking Maualuga as several wanted to. And in the second round, I'd rather have Chung and all the extras we got for trading down than Maualuga. The DUI does matter, and while I agree that it's not about being a saint, there's something to be said for not doing something completely moronic too.

I don't know if it was a belief that those guys could man those spots so much as we had a LOT of needs on D after 2008. It was clear that we needed help at every spot other than Mayo's after 2008.
"

ME: So why draft a backup safety, a backup nose tackle, a Wr already out for the year

Why wait until the late 3rd round to address the 2nd biggest and most immediate need, ILB, and not address olb at all

Overconfidence on BBs part was an undeniable factor.

I agree it's easy to go back with 20/20 hindsight. All I'm saying is that had we addressed our dire needs early in the draft, those same dire needs would not have still been there in 2010.

2009 was also real deep at safety, which was not an immediate need in 2009 anyway.

ME: So why draft a backup safety, a backup nose tackle, a Wr already out for the year

Why wait until the late 3rd round to address the 2nd biggest and most immediate need, ILB, and not address olb at all

Overconfidence on BBs part was an undeniable factor.

I agree it's easy to go back with 20/20 hindsight. All I'm saying is that had we addressed our dire needs early in the draft, those same dire needs would not have still been there in 2010.

2009 was also real deep at safety, which was not an immediate need in 2009 anyway.

I suppose it could be overconfidence. But I can't blame him for giving Crable a chance. I mean he spent a 3rd rounder on him just the year before and he missed it due to injury, and there was no way for BB to know at the draft that Crable would get injured again in September. And McKenzie could have contributed if he hadn't been injured. It's easy to look back, but it made a lot of sense at the time.

I think calling Chung a back-up safety is a bit much. You're right that it wasn't a major need, but I think BB felt he needed to have a Harrison-type player back there. Brace was drafted to be a back-up NT, but is starting at end for us now. And Butler, well...it's the Kool Aid, but I can't help but hope he contributes. Considering our corner situation at the end of 2008, it's hard to fault that pick.

It is what it is. It wasn't perfect. But I think we did quite well for ourselves, got a lot of potential players, and laid the foundation for a killer 2010 draft. I don't think having Maualuga would have changed our 2009 season one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back