Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pat Buchanan's new book

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, Nov 26, 2007.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Though I know most here may laugh at Buchanan and consider him an extremist loon (which I would agree on), it sounds like his new book might make some good points. Not sure how long this link will last, but I will update it if it goes dead.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash9pb.htm

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

He's a nutjob, but underneath his doomsday rhetoric, is a simple truth about how screwed this country currently is. I'm not a doomsday type of person, and quite honestly, I just never think things are as bad, nor as good, as some people will try to lead you to believe. However, that doesn't mean there isn't validity in the essence of their message. The bottom line is that Buchanan is a nut, but he's generally right about this country being flushed down a sh!t riddled toilet.

3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,153 / 5 / -10

Buchanan:
    He can't be any nuttier than some of those Grinning Mother Fu$%#^s that want to be President.

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

just curious... do you believe Peak Oil is a myth?

or, do you believe it's happening, but that the planet will switch over to something else viable in time before social anarchy takes place?

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

A myth in what sense? Do I think the supply of oil is infinite? No. Do I think we've tapped the planet dry, and from this moment on we're going to run out? No again. I think we will eventually reach a point of no return, and that finding an alternative source for oil is in everyone's best interest. I just don't subscribe to the doomsday fodder though. I know that the current area's where drilling has been prominent, have had issues with respect to return. Some taps are drying out with respect to what they were producing 5, 10, 20+ years ago. Mexico has had this problem. The thing is, we haven't really looked in other places, like off of our own shores. There is allegedly a huge amount of resources off of our coasts, but we're not allowed to go near it. I know off of Cuba they had a big find, and more recently off of the coast of Brazil they found a large deposit. Still though, at some point it will run out, although right now I'd only say it's harder to get access. I think we should make finding an alternative to oil and gas a matter of national security. My hope rests in hydrogen fuel cells, and maybe in 10 or so years we might begin to see that happen.

6. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

And I think to seriously do something like that would take an innovator and someone not afraid to take chances. Looking at the current field, only the fringe guys like Kucinich and Paul strike me as guys willing to do stuff like that. And the prospect of either one of them being president is unsettling to me. What a weird weird spot we're in.

7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

interesting... i pray you're correct... i would like to start a thread about this, actually... and no one can stop me!!! :cool:

8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +498 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

I listen to Pat all the time,after all the guys everywhere as far as political talk shows go and agree with him quite often. Ever once in a while he'll make no sense,but thats only every so often. As far as his book goes I read the excerps listed on the Drudge report and AGREE with virtually all of the. I thought while reading them that he was spot on in his assesment. Pats an old time Republican conservative. And if you guys think he's crazy maybe that says a lot about you.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

you gotta admit, he's pretty much paranoid about the Jews concerning everything...

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

I agree completely. After 9/11 I'd have looked into funding research for alternative fuels, and would have set aside a massive amount of cash to change the infrastructure of our current fueling system. That's one of the bigger issues with moving away from oil and gas, the infrastructure. It would have taken billions and billions of dollars, but consider what we've spent in Iraq in comparrison. I think hydrogen in somewhere near 10 years from seeing the public market. From there it will be a question of affordability, and performance. It's taken hybrids a while to gain favor, and they still lag in sales versus regular vehicles, so who knows what will happen. I know that $3 gas speeds up the process of finding out.

11. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +498 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

I've never gotten a sense of that PC,but I'll admit that I have never read anything buy him,and don't consider my-self a rabid supporter of his,or a supporter a all. But many times I find my-self thinking that what he said makes a lot of common sense. Which I find hard to believe at the time,and this is one of those times. But I agreed with him on all his points of the deconstruction of the country,in which he attacks the policies of the current administration.

12. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I think a realistic solution to solving the alternative energy problem is to drill in ANWAR but ONLY on the stipulation that we do so for a limited time and, during that time, work furiously on an alternative. That way we can ween off of the oil supply from the crappy middle east and then be ready to segue into our new source. It may not be as simplistic as that, but I think that's a good plan outline to start with.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

I'd have drilled there yesterday, but I don't think there is enoug oil there to satisfy our thirst. IIRC, we use about 20 million barrels a day ourselves, and ANWAR would give us about a million of those. I think anyway. The real deal is off our shores, and underneath the Rockies. The largest oil reserve (shale oil) in the world is underneath the Rockies. Something like 800 billion to a trillion barrels. The problem is, how do you drill it?

14. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You don't if Congress passes the ridiculous Law of the Sea Treaty (which it looks like they will, easily). That would make the seas and the air above it the domain of the glorious, all-powerful UN. They could tax anyone who used the seas (and the air above it) or totally deny us access. But the UN would NEVER do that would they? I wrote my senators, but only heard back from John Sununu. He's in favor of it by the sounds of the letter I received. He's usually sensible too. Hmm... Ron Paul for president is sounding a little better...

15. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

ANWR would be like putting a bandaid on a severed arm...

Reason #1. According of the Department of Energy, drilling in ANWR will only lower oil prices by less than fifty cents;

Reason #2. ANWR contains 10 billion barrels of oil - or about the amount the US consumes in a little more than a year.

Reason #3. As with all oil projects, ANWR will take about 10 years to come online. Once it does, its production will peak at 875,000 barrels per day - but not till the year 2025. By then the US is projected to need a whopping 35 million barrels per day while the world is projected to need 120 million barrels per day.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4542853/

:(

16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +498 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

Over the last couple of years i've often thought about what ever happen to SHALE OIL it was big in the late 70's but was at that time to expensive to process the shale.It had to be mined, and heated to extract the oil back then it wasn't worth it. Considering what a barrel of oil costs now vs then I don't see why it hasn't come up as a major resource of domestic oil. If Canada can extract oil from sand and make a profit then what about shale oil. Something seems a little fishy here,as far a shale oil. At around 100 dollars a barrel for oil, shale oil should be more than commpetative.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  17. STFarmy

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Oh yeah, it's definitely not a permanent solution. And, of course, it would take time to develop. And the ONLY way I would condone drilling it would be if we were making concentrated efforts to develop alternative energy. It's something that just has to be done.

18. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

ANWAR's not worth the effort. Forget about it. It's more of a symbol of the environmentalists (me) vs. those who sh-t where they live and don't care what happens.

19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

If we make the effort you want to make, coupled with conservation, we won't need to drill there. We need a Manhattan Project for new sources immediately. The oil companies need to stop obstructing our national security.

20. Real World

Ratings:
    +919 / 7 / -3

We're not too far off on this Press. I have some concerns about the value of ANWAR, and that's partly because of the fluctuating calculations of how much is there. Some say there is more, some less. I'm in favor of drilling it if the return is adequate, but more importantly, I'd really be pushing to find an alternative fuel. Long term, it's simply the path we have to take.