PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passionate Dante Scarnecchia backs Nate Solder

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may very well be true, BM BUT, while we have all jumped the gun and have perceived that Cannon isn't getting the job done because he physically CAN'T and should be a OG; Dante might see him as simply a developing very young RT who is CAN physically do the job, but just isn't because of a lot reasons that he's seen time and time again and isn't worried about.

Personally, I think on this, we'd be smart to go along with Dante. He just "might" have a little more credibility than us, That being said, I'd STILL like to see him starting at RG next year, but it doesn't mean he can't still be the back up OT. behind Solder and a healthy Volmer. ;)

Again, you can't coach athleticism into somebody. They either have it or they don't. Cannon is built as a guard, and that's where he would be used best. I suspect Scarnecchia knows this, but had to keep Cannon at RT because Connolly could man RG while Waters kicks his feet up and relaxes.

I believe Scar........He's italian,like me......Also,he may know my home address:eek:

Not that I don't believe him, but when has BB or his assistants ever said anything bad about a specific player. That said, I'm actually not worried about Solder either. Vollmer's back worries me the most on the OL.

Solder doesn't really worry me. But having Cannon play out of position does. As long as Cannon isn't starting in an off-position for him, I'm sure things will be fine. But, if Cannon is expected to play tackle as a starter we are going to have issues. Not Wayne "The Turnstyle" issues but still, issues.

Last edited:
I'm all for In Scar We Trust, but if he thinks the tackle play so far through two preseason games has been acceptable, then I might have to rethink that....
In a developmental context, which is the pre-season, he's got to be right. Obviously these are not real games, and the bar is still set lower than it will be in two weeks.

I don't sweat things like Solder. He isn't going to suddenly fail. He's a good player and will be all right. How many times did guys call for Matt Light's head over the years? Even good players get beaten. It's a lot of snaps against really good DEs.

Personally, I think on this, we'd be smart to go along with Dante. He just "might" have a little more credibility than us,
As long as he's not in denial or spinning. I don't think he's spinning because it's still preseason and Solder is still developing. How can people expect the kid to be perfect?

How many times did we hear how bad Matt Light was?

Even Jon Gruden can't rate Wayne Hunter.
Hunter is going to be the big scapegoat for everything bad on their offense. Too bad because although he's pretty bad he is not what's really wrong with their offense. He's a symptom.

It was interesting that Scar bought up Matt Light when he started at LT
and how he had to learn and eventually developed into a top LT.

I remember the early days of Matt and the match ups against Jason Taylor
and other top rushers and how Matt just kept getting better. He made
mistakes in those early days. Many here doubted he was the answer at LT.

Scar seems to be saying Solder will follow the same learning curve but will get
better every week.

In a developmental context, which is the pre-season, he's got to be right. Obviously these are not real games, and the bar is still set lower than it will be in two weeks.

I don't sweat things like Solder. He isn't going to suddenly fail. He's a good player and will be all right. How many times did guys call for Matt Light's head over the years? Even good players get beaten. It's a lot of snaps against really good DEs.

I agree about Solder - not a real concern there at all. But Cannon being our top backup at RT has to be a concern for the coaching staff based on his performance in camp and preseason.

I believe Scar........He's italian,like me......Also,he may know my home address:eek:

Du mangia pesche morte!

That and restaurant Italian. I also speak single malt Scotch.

Hunter is going to be the big scapegoat for everything bad on their offense. Too bad because although he's pretty bad he is not what's really wrong with their offense. He's a symptom.

this is a really good thing though

Last edited:
Is it just me, or has anyone else thought that the return of Mankins will help Solder. Right now he does not trust his right side.

I could be wrong. We'll see if he "miraculously" improves with Mankins coming back.

Is it just me, or has anyone else thought that the return of Mankins will help Solder. Right now he does not trust his right side.

I could be wrong. We'll see if he "miraculously" improves with Mankins coming back.

Having Gonk/AH lining up to chip the DE will make a big difference.

Du mangia pesche morte!

That and restaurant Italian. I also speak single malt Scotch.

I speak more latin,than italian(Bos Latin grad)lol.

I speak,primarily,Molinari sambuuca:rocker:

I saw this as well. I've been of the opinion that we shouldn't be freaking out based on two preseason games. Solder didn't look good at all early on last year and improved over the course of the season. He's getting used to LT now and, while he has not looked good (nor shown the foot quickness that we expected of him), we should give him a chance to make improvements in his game.

Cannon, IMO, is simply playing out of position.

If we don't freak out, what are we supposed to do between the hours of 5 p.m. and 2 a.m.? Watch Bobby Valentine coach the Red Sox?!?

Last edited:
Scarnecchia needs to review the game tape against the Eagles.

Again, you can't coach athleticism into somebody. They either have it or they don't. Cannon is built as a guard, and that's where he would be used best. I suspect Scarnecchia knows this, but had to keep Cannon at RT because Connolly could man RG while Waters kicks his feet up and relaxes.
So, ;K, are you saying that YOU are a better judge of athleticism from you couch once a week, than Dante is on the field EVERYDAY? That is simply the height of conceit. :rolleyes:

Ok, so everyone agrees that Solder will improve, but Cannon wont, and should be moved to RG?

I've read posts in other threads suggesting that Cannon is just holding the spot for Vollmer.....ummm, ok, but what happens when Mr. Vollmer gets injured? Is Cannon the answer then? :eek:

I have no doubt the O-line will improve, and provided that nobody gets injured, they'll be fine. However, the depth at tackle isnt very impressive. I really wish Light had waited one more year. But oh well. Bring on game 3.

I saw this as well. I've been of the opinion that we shouldn't be freaking out based on two preseason games. Solder didn't look good at all early on last year and improved over the course of the season. He's getting used to LT now and, while he has not looked good (nor shown the foot quickness that we expected of him), we should give him a chance to make improvements in his game.

Cannon, IMO, is simply playing out of position.

Exactly. It's why they call it "pre"season. Remember last year after the pre- season game against Atlanta? Everyone here, including me, thought we were looking at the reincarnate of the '85 Bear's defense. Give 'em time.

From the amount of Retweeted Jets garbage news I'm seeing on my Twitter feed, it seems as though Austin Howard will be their RT at least at the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back