PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing twice on drafting Rey Maualuga ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's dumb as a rock, wouldn't fit in well anywhere on the Pats' defense, and runs like he has two 50 pound weights strapped to each leg. Thanks but no thanks...

I just wish that Maualuga was available in next year's draft so Belichick could not draft him one more time.

:rofl:

As many have noted, the Patriots DID spend a premium draft pick on an ILB -- one who was stronger, faster, and above all smarter than Maualuga.

You can argue that they didn't do enough to replace McKenzie once he went down, but not that they neglected the position by choosing one promising player over another.

Good to see you moved on. I mean it's not like the draft was in April or anything.

If it was me in charge this offseason I would of drafted Clay Matthews and Ray Maualuga and if they were avaliable with later picks, Patrick Chung and Ron Brace but Matthews and Maualuga would of been my top picks. I would of passed the Seymour trade over because I'm looking at this season and to win now while Brady, Moss and co. are in their prime.

A front 7 of Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Thomas, Mayo, Maualuga and Matthews would of been one of the most frightenest in the leagues, not on par with Pittsburgh but I'm sure teams would look at that front 7 and be worried to face that. And then you throw in the likes of Green, Burgess, Guyton and Brace in there to sub in for those 7, then it looks like good depth.

The secondary would of been the same issue, being revamped like it was but the pressure the front 7 could put on the QB is capable of forcing a mis timed pass.

Maybe I'll try making that team in Madden now :D

Just because one player does well in one system doesn't mean he will do well in another. There were a lot of concern about Maualuga's football intelligence in most of the scouting reports I have seen. That means he will do better in a system where he is just asked to attack rather than diagnose the situation and read and react. Guess where the Pats and Bengals fall on that spetrum.

Maualuga can barely read, and you want him calling signals? Laurinitis is a differennt issue. He was my personal choice for upgrading inside. I'm sure there are those who are happier with Alexander or those who think McKenzie would have converted to ILB in one preseason.

Well, there are some of us who don't like either, and who think Laurinitis is likely to be the next manifestation of Bobby Carpenter.

Just because one player does well in one system doesn't mean he will do well in another. There were a lot of concern about Maualuga's football intelligence in most of the scouting reports I have seen. That means he will do better in a system where he is just asked to attack rather than diagnose the situation and read and react. Guess where the Pats and Bengals fall on that spetrum.

I don't know where these dumb as a stump comments come from. or the slow speed comments come from (see the TD return from last year on Youtube), Maualuga is a beast, sideline to sideline tackler, has perfect size for a Pat's LB, etc. Let's see how he pans out. Just because WE didn't draft him, doesn't mean he won't become a great player.

I don't know where these dumb as a stump comments come from. or the slow speed comments come from (see the TD return from last year on Youtube), Maualuga is a beast, sideline to sideline tackler, has perfect size for a Pat's LB, etc. Let's see how he pans out. Just because WE didn't draft him, doesn't mean he won't become a great player.

And even if he DOES become a great player, that doesn't mean he would be great on the Patriots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back