PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Passing Offense That Can Run When Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I think that there will still be some tweaks (a RB/FB upgrade wold be nice and we could use a WR). And, yes, the roster will continue to change at the bottom, especially based on injuries. However, I think that this is a roster structure that works.

OFFENSE (25) 1 OL, 1-2 RB, and 1 TE would usually be inactive

QB (2)
WR (6) with one to come for insurance against injury
TE (4) no need to comment
RB/FB (5) the bottom 2 might be upgraded at any time
OL (8) all are able to start (we would carry 9 if we could find a backup OT)

This is a PASSING team. In this roster structure, we will have 5 WR active (plus Slater). We will have 3 TE's. We will have running backs who can catch the dump off and screen. There will be lots of passing. The receiving options and backups have been upgraded.

The OL has taken a hit. However, we drafted Solder to replace Light. He started some last year and did well. He will now play with the starting OL. He'll be fine. Obviously, Connolly is not as good as Waters at OG, but he is a seasoned starter. Wendell and McDonald both started last year at center and did fine. We don't talk much about Thomas, but he is a solid OG. The BIGGEST question mark is Vollmer's health. If he is healthy, we will have a very solid line.

BOTTOM LINE
I think that improvements at WR and TE will balance out the reduction in OL talent. We will again have one of the 3 best offenses in the league. The difference this year will be more runs, more screens, a better short yardage offense, and a team able to eat up clock with both the pass and the run.

I was hoping more for a Passing Offense that can run when they want to and a defense that can make stops when need to.

I think the Oline will be fine (though \I prefer them peaking during the playoffs). But, any downgrade in performance affects all the offense (passing and running).

If the o line is suspect is it more in the pass or run blocking. Personally, I'd like to see brady take fewer than 25 sacks...less even better. Let's bring back the screen and RB checkdown.

Last edited:
Question for the masses. Is it possible Brian Waters become overrated last year?

Prior to the 2011 season the Chiefs flat out cut the guy and now Mike Lombardi is calling him a "Blue Chip" Guard. So you're saying the Scott Pioli cut a "Blue Chip"/Elite Guard? Seems very hard for me to believe.

Question for the masses. Is it possible Brian Waters become overrated last year?

Prior to the 2011 season the Chiefs flat out cut the guy and now Mike Lombardi is calling him a "Blue Chip" Guard. So you're saying the Scott Pioli cut a "Blue Chip"/Elite Guard? Seems very hard for me to believe.

I think he was cut due to age and salary, not because he sucked.

BOTTOM LINE
I think that improvements at WR and TE will balance out the reduction in OL talent. We will again have one of the 3 best offenses in the league. The difference this year will be more runs, more screens, a better short yardage offense, and a team able to eat up clock with both the pass and the run.
Improvements at wide receiver: Lloyd >>>> Ochocinco, Salas >>>> Price/Underwood - Check

Improvement at tight end depth: Fells, Hoomanawanui - Check

Improvement at running back depth: Bolden, Hilliard - Check

Wide receiver depth remains a concern.

Offensive line remains a question mark with presumably Wendell at center, Connolly at right guard, Vollmer (back issues) at right tackle versus last season's starting offensive line. Depth at offensive tackle remains a concern.

Waters had an astronomical season for a player his age last year, and his absence will hurt us, especially earlier in the season. However, I personally think that a lot of hysteria about our O-line has to due less with Waters not being here, and more to do with all the questions about Mankins and Vollmer's health, along with Solder's inexperience. The question I have for posters on this board is this, "If Mankins has a perfect comeback and Solder pans out by the end of the year, how worried should we be? Can we win a SB without Waters and with Vollmer's chronic back issues?"

Improvements at wide receiver: Lloyd >>>> Ochocinco, Salas >>>> Price/Underwood - Check

Improvement at tight end depth: Fells, Hoomanawanui - Check

Improvement at running back depth: Bolden, Hilliard - Check

Wide receiver depth remains a concern.

Offensive line remains a question mark with presumably Wendell at center, Connolly at right guard, Vollmer (back issues) at right tackle versus last season's starting offensive line. Depth at offensive tackle remains a concern.

How do you know salas is better than underwood or price for that matter?

Have you seen Marcus Cannon play right tackle in preseason?

The Pats QBs were sacked all of 5 times in four preseason games. That is better than what they give up most seasons, on an annualized basis. Nor is Cannon slated to start. Nor was he given a TE chip to help out. Belichcick and Scar were trying to see just what he could do on his own. Was there pressure ? Sure, but the sack numbers were not that bad.

If you want to know what OL problems really are, consider the Jests who gave up 11 sacks in three games, as I didn't bother watching the box score on their fourth game.

Even with Cannon playing there is not a terrible problem, as I'm sure the Pats Coaches would give a TE or RB chipping to give him some help.

Meanwhile did you notice how devastating the Pats run game was off tackle, around Cannon at RT? I'd be more concerned to see if the interior guys who WILL START, can open some holes for the run game inside.

Last edited:
How do you know salas is better than underwood or price for that matter?
Is Tiquan Underwood currently under contract this season? Wasn't Taylor Price placed on injured reserve just recently?

Last edited:
Even with Cannon playing there is not a terrible problem, as I'm sure the Pats Coaches would give a TE or RB chipping to give him some help.

Meanwhile did you notice how devastating the Pats run game was off tackle, around Cannon at RT? I'd be more concerned to see if the interior guys who WILL START, can open some holes for the run game inside.
So you are concerned about the offensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes