Welcome to PatsFans.com

Passage of property rights amendment in the Virginia Senate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Brandon Five, Feb 23, 2011.

1. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

022211_Property_Rights

Mr. and Mrs. PFinV:

Do you know the background behind this? Is it in reaction to the Kelo decision?
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -26

The way it is worded sounds like it, good for them..
  3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Richmond wants to take property for revenue enhancement and does it. If it goes to the SCOTUS, they would allow it, no? There is case precedent.

I am opposed to this type of eminent domain. I hope this holds water for VA so other states can use it as a template.
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

I honestly don't know much about it, BFive.

But, since it's Cuccinelli, I take it with a grain of salt and figure he's got some ulterior motive.

This is the guy who warned Virginia’s colleges and universities that their anti-discrimination policies couldn't protect gays and then instructed the state’s public colleges to end policies that banned discrimination against homosexuals which in turn forced the governor to issue a statement that workplace discrimination is illegal.

He also made a 2009 campaign promise to go beyond the traditional duties of Virginia's top legal office and actively fight for divisive social causes important to his conservative base.

It's true that he's a big supporter of property and gun rights - he's also outspokenly opposed to abortion and homosexuality. support of property and gun rights.

He's more than a little bit "out there," if you ask me. While campaigning last year, he told a crowd he was considering not registering his son for a Social Security number because “it is being used to track you.”

I'll have to read more about both this and the Kelo decision before I can answer specifically, though.