Passage of property rights amendment in the Virginia Senate

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Brandon Five, Feb 23, 2011.

1. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +1,043 / 15 / -5

#75 Jersey

022211_Property_Rights

Mr. and Mrs. PFinV:

Do you know the background behind this? Is it in reaction to the Kelo decision?

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,548 / 35 / -36

The way it is worded sounds like it, good for them..

3. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Richmond wants to take property for revenue enhancement and does it. If it goes to the SCOTUS, they would allow it, no? There is case precedent.

I am opposed to this type of eminent domain. I hope this holds water for VA so other states can use it as a template.

4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +990 / 16 / -7

#24 Jersey

I honestly don't know much about it, BFive.

But, since it's Cuccinelli, I take it with a grain of salt and figure he's got some ulterior motive.

This is the guy who warned Virginia’s colleges and universities that their anti-discrimination policies couldn't protect gays and then instructed the state’s public colleges to end policies that banned discrimination against homosexuals which in turn forced the governor to issue a statement that workplace discrimination is illegal.

He also made a 2009 campaign promise to go beyond the traditional duties of Virginia's top legal office and actively fight for divisive social causes important to his conservative base.

It's true that he's a big supporter of property and gun rights - he's also outspokenly opposed to abortion and homosexuality. support of property and gun rights.

He's more than a little bit "out there," if you ask me. While campaigning last year, he told a crowd he was considering not registering his son for a Social Security number because “it is being used to track you.”

I'll have to read more about both this and the Kelo decision before I can answer specifically, though.