PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass Rush Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Here are some guys that are available in free agency that the Pats could kick the tires on:

Freeney
Umenyiora
Abraham
Avril
Carter
Kruger

Just off the top of my head, anyway. There are, I'm sure, some more intriguing options.

Abraham's release today is interesting. Getting a little long in the tooth (34 years old), but the last 3 years he's had 13.0, 9.5, and 10.0 sacks. He can still get to the QB.

I think he'd probably cost more than NE would want to spend, but it's another guy to throw into the mix.

Big Abraham fan. I want him so bad now.

Big Abraham fan. I want him so bad now.

One of the knocks on him has been his ability to stay healthy, but here are his games played the last 6 seasons:

2007 - 16 g, 16 starts
2008 - 16 g, 16 starts
2009 - 16 g, 15 starts
2010 - 15 g, 13 starts
2011 - 15 g, 15 starts
2012 - 16 g, 14 starts

That averages out to 15.7 games and 14.8 starts. The last season he missed significant time was back in 2006. So I think it's safe to say he's become pretty reliable.

Youth and speed, friends. The best option is the draft. The Pats have options other teams do not. Take the best edge rusher on the board with the first pick, trading up if necessary.

Youth and speed, friends. The best option is the draft. The Pats have options other teams do not. Take the best edge rusher on the board with the first pick, trading up if necessary.

This certainly isn't the draft to trade up. This years draft is about depth and value, so you move back and let it unfold. There might not be a lot of top end talent, but there will be guys falling into the 4th round with 2nd round grades. Sit back, see who falls and take advantage. I certainly don't think a veteran pass rusher is a bad idea, especially if its a guy like Freeney or Abraham if they accept a lesser role.

Pats are still a young team. Adding veterans who know how to be pros and still have gas in the tank is never a bad thing.

Abraham strikes me as on of those players. A buddy of mine in ATL said that they desperately wanted to keep Abraham but he didn't want to re-do his deal so they let him go.

Pats are still a young team. Adding veterans who know how to be pros and still have gas in the tank is never a bad thing.

Abraham strikes me as on of those players. A buddy of mine in ATL said that they desperately wanted to keep Abraham but he didn't want to re-do his deal so they let him go.

Which leads me to believe he won't be a Patriot. If he wanted to take a paycut to play for a contender he would have just stayed at home in the much warmer Atlanta area.
Here are some guys that are available in free agency that the Pats could kick the tires on:

Freeney
Umenyiora
Abraham
Avril
Carter
Kruger

Just off the top of my head, anyway. There are, I'm sure, some more intriguing options.

Abraham's release today is interesting. Getting a little long in the tooth (34 years old), but the last 3 years he's had 13.0, 9.5, and 10.0 sacks. He can still get to the QB.

I think he'd probably cost more than NE would want to spend, but it's another guy to throw into the mix.
Done/bad scheme fit
Too expensive
Too expensive
Way too expensive
Done
Way too expensive

There is no one available that represents great value/ability. Just keep building through the draft. Don't handcuff our cap ala Jets with splashy big names of players who don't play up to their name and cost too much.

Which leads me to believe he won't be a Patriot. If he wanted to take a paycut to play for a contender he would have just stayed at home in the much warmer Atlanta area.

Done/bad scheme fit
Too expensive
Too expensive
Way too expensive
Done
Way too expensive

There is no one available that represents great value/ability. Just keep building through the draft. Don't handcuff our cap ala Jets with splashy big names of players who don't play up to their name and cost too much.

I agree completely. We might pick up a mid-tier Carter-esque guy but this has never been a big FA team. The pass rush will develop, it just needs time. Paul Kruger didn't break out till his last year on his four year contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes