PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pass Interference Is Ruining The Nfl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Offensive PI only applies to Randy Moss.

Is it a crime on this board for me to note that I worry about offensive PI on Moss frequently? And not because I'm worried about the refs.

By my count, he's had 2 phantom or nearly phantom offensive PIs called on him this year. He's also had 2 (both touchdowns) that I thought he clearly got away with. A fifth play -- the second long Miami TD -- looked to me like PI going both ways (defense first, Moss second) and so probably was a good call.

I expect DB's to flop if Randy touches their jersey lightly when going up for a catch. That's the only way to beat Randy outside of straight-out mugging him down the field.

I expect DB's to flop if Randy touches their jersey lightly when going up for a catch. That's the only way to beat Randy outside of straight-out mugging him down the field.

I haven't seen much of that. You have to try to make the play. I can't remember a defender just abandoning or conceding the play to try to get a call.

Randy is very subtle at creating separation. Sometimes he does it with his elbows without extending his arms, and the officials seem to tolerate it. By and large, when he extends his arm or arms into the defender, he gets called unless the defender initiated contact in which case it seems it's mostly likely been a play-on this year. He's gotten away with a couple of slaps this year, where he slaps the defender's hand away even if the defender is not touching him. I like the way they call PI on Randy -- they tend to look for advantage gained, except for that one horrible phantom call in the red zone against the colts.

Last edited:
That would be a terrible idea. Randy Moss would be getting mugged time and again and it would still be a better strategy for opposing teams to kill Moss than to try to defend him.

If Moss can draw 100-150 yards of penalties by himself, how is that a bad thing? If they mug Moss three times on a drive, that is 45 yards of penalties under the proposed rule. That is significant to help the Pats to move the ball. Moss' numbers would suffer, but I am not convinced the offense would suffer that much in that scenario.

They either gotta stop calling these ticky-tack and questionable PI calls on long plays or near the end zone or move to a 15 yard penalty for PI. I still think a bad call like Ellis Hobbs' phantom PI call covering the Colts in each of the last two times we played them hurt far more than it would if teams mugged Moss on every play drawing 15 yards instead of 30-50.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back