PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pasquarelli: Seau Signing "smacks of desperation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker83 said:
How many NT's have been pro-bowlers...or even more importantly how many NT's need to be Pro-bowlers to be good?

Well, First off, Big Daddy isn't a real NT. He's a DT. And there is a difference in the position.

There are plenty of DTs who are Pro-Bowlers. And I am sure I could go back in history and find a Pro-Bowl NT if I really went and looked.

DaBruinz said:
Well, First off, Big Daddy isn't a real NT. He's a DT. And there is a difference in the position.

There are plenty of DTs who are Pro-Bowlers. And I am sure I could go back in history and find a Pro-Bowl NT if I really went and looked.
That's easy - Ted Washington (and many others).

DaBruinz said:

He has the ability to play either position...and yes i indeed know the difference.

So we have Ted washington...any others?

OK..now start naming pro-bowl lb's and then we might get something going...

I'm not sayins nose isn't important...any informed fan knows it's the key to the 3-4 but because they are basically pluggers who soak up blocks NT's are get few stats and are given little pro-bowl consideration...ad in the fact that there are more LB positions and it will be obvious that less DT/NT's will be pro-bowlers.

BUT that even still doesn't hide the fact that even though seau is a pro-bowler he hasn't played up to that level in over 3 years...

AND then there is the difference between 33 and thinking about retirement w/ 3 teams trying to sign you and 37 and retired after no one even offers a vet min contract....

Last edited:
DaBruinz said:

You don't have to look far Try Casey Hampton this past year. Or Ted W anytime in the nineties...

Or wait for Vince Wilfork THIS YEAR...

Welker83 said:
What does LB have to do with the TE? and if this TE set is so new why is over half the league already aswitched to a 2 TE set? Furthurmoe how is there a learning curve since the pats are FOLLOWING the trwend being set by the rest of the league...and to add injury to insult WHO IS SCARED OF A 4 TE set?

The only reason TE's are good are two reasons:
1. Matchup- If the team lines up in a 2 TE set and the defense is in a 4-3 if it's a passing play it forces either a LB or a Safety to cover the TE which generally is a mis-match and is easy to exploit...OR the team will adjust and go into a nickle so the offense will counter by switching to a running play where there is a TE blocking a DB which is a mis match... BUT if ther are no WR's then the only mismatch is in the running game as the CB's will be on the lead TE's.... So a 4 TE set is only good for running the ball, and short yardage scoring situations because the TE's are tall...

There for you create a very conservative run offense that will not average much becasue it allows the DB's to play in the box to stop the run while still being able to cover and catch up to the slower TE's...

FURTHERMORE IT'S NOT NEW...it used to be HEAVILY employed back in the days before THE FORWARD PASS!

the 4 TE set is so old it PREDATES THE HELMET!

Therefore: IT doesnt work!

Thanks for the lesson in NFL postions and strateges 101 professor but in your hurry to stomp all over my 'opinions' you appeared to have missed much of what I was trying to convey...

I wasn't comparing LB with TE's, I was simply commenting on the fact that BB can't address and fix ALL the position issues facing the team all at the same time...LB being one such issue...and that the Seau signing is a no lose situation for the team...IMO. Then I changed the subject.
Obviously your knowledge on the fine art of NFL football is beyond reproach but maybe you need to brush up a bit on your reading and comprehension skills.

Let me clarify a bit...as for the TE sets...this year the Pats appear to have some MAJOR talent at the TE position therefore their two, three, and four TE sets are potentially much more dangerous to the opposition than most teams. Most teams have only one really dangerous TE never mind two or more. If the Pats prove successful in exploiting defenses with the addition of three and four TE sets other teams will attempt to emulate. Old can become new again and the 'curve' is re-shaped by BB and Co. I never said the TE sets were 'new'...teams have gotten away from them over the years and BB appears ready to re-think the usage of the position to his advantage.

I've also noticed how effective those DB's can be in out-running Watson and tackling Graham...great 'highlight' reel stuff...

bostonbuzz said:
Thanks for the lesson in NFL postions and strateges 101 professor but in your hurry to stomp all over my 'opinions' you appeared to have missed much of what I was trying to convey...

I wasn't comparing LB with TE's, I was simply commenting on the fact that BB can't address and fix ALL the position issues facing the team all at the same time...LB being one such issue...and that the Seau signing is a no lose situation for the team...IMO. Then I changed the subject.
Obviously your knowledge on the fine art of NFL football is beyond reproach but maybe you need to brush up a bit on your reading and comprehension skills.

Let me clarify a bit...as for the TE sets...this year the Pats appear to have some MAJOR talent at the TE position therefore their two, three, and four TE sets are potentially much more dangerous to the opposition than most teams. Most teams have only one really dangerous TE never mind two or more. If the Pats prove successful in exploiting defenses with the addition of three and four TE sets other teams will attempt to emulate. Old can become new again and the 'curve' is re-shaped by BB and Co. I never said the TE sets were 'new'...teams have gotten away from them over the years and BB appears ready to re-think the usage of the position to his advantage.

I've also noticed how effective those DB's can be in out-running Watson and tackling Graham...great 'highlight' reel stuff...

Your opinion of seau being a win win situation is wrong. When the cuts come a young guy will be lost and possibly to another team. If history holds true seau will get injured and you will need to sign a guy if he goes on IR...so basically there is a risk that you lose young talent to another team by plugging in a guy who most likely will not finish the season.

Furthermore my point was mainly at your whole "The patriots are ahead of the curve nonesense"... The patriots hall mark is versatility and a good game plan...i am not aware that is "groundbreaking"

Last edited:
NOT a Seau fan here, but if he's signed as the last (not starting against Buffalo) ILB reserve candidate I say no harm no foul. If he shows the ability to learn the D quickly and play ILB as a dependable deep reserve then it's a very good move in all ways. If he's the starter with Bruschi out, it IS desperation.

Welker83 said:
Your opinion of seau being a win win situation is wrong. When the cuts come a young guy will be lost and possibly to another team. If history holds true seau will get injured and you will need to sign a guy if he goes on IR...so basically there is a risk that you lose young talent to another team by plugging in a guy who most likely will not finish the season.

Furthermore my point was mainly at your whole "The patriots are ahead of the curve nonesense"... The patriots hall mark is versatility and a good game plan...i am not aware that is "groundbreaking"

My opinion is my opinion...it's not about right or wrong...it's my OPINION. You can disagree all you want but to say it's wrong is...well...wrong!

I'm not the biggest Seau supporter by any stretch but I do feel anytime you can bring in a vet with HoF credentials it can't hurt. If Seau brings positives to the team and BB thinks it's best for the team...he stays...if not he'll go. The team has nothing to lose by giving him a shot. BB isn't going to keep any player he doesn't feel will help the team win...young or old. You can't worry about Seau getting injured either anymore than any other player that is. Desperate or not the Seau signing is in no way a negative.

Here's a little insight into why I feel the way I do about some things Patriot and staying ahead of the curve...

A few years ago BB was the only coach utalizing the 3-4 defense, no it was not a new or groundbreaking defense at the time, but because the other NFL teams had pretty much abandoned it, it turned out to be in it's own way "ahead of the curve." Because the Pats were successful in employing the 3-4 when it wasn't in 'Vouge' other teams started to emulate. Now there's a fair amount of teams that have gone back to using the the 3-4 to some extent. No doubt BB goes to bed at night dreaming of ways to keep ahead of the curve be it by re-inventing something abandoned by the others or simply modifying and disguising what's already there. I feel the same way about the Pats employing the three and four TE sets when no one else has the talent or willingness to do it themselves....BB attempting to succeed with something that's old but new and 'ahead of the curve' again at the same time.

It's not 'nonsense' as you so 'eloquently' put it, it's opinion.

Welker83 said:
Seau is 37 Wilkinson is 33...good luck trying to prove that one wrong...

I've never been a Seau fan, but he will add depth and experience to this LB corps. I'd rather have him than a rookie (for this year).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back