PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pasquarelli: Seau Signing "smacks of desperation"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey - we all question how much he has left in the tank - but when it comes to these types of moves, BB has a way of getting the last laugh

And isn't it just possible, given Seau's comments about wanting to "graduate" and move on to a "masters degree" with the Patriots indicate he felt his chances, and therefore motivation, to get a ring in Miami weren't all that good... and that his chances in NE are much higher - hence his rediscovered passion for football?

He's not doing this for the money - that much is clear.

Last edited:
Good read and I agree I with it. I think if you were able to ask Belichick behind closed doors, at this point they are just trying to throw something at the wall and hope it sticks. For all the great things they've done, I don't think Belichick and Pioli have handled the linebacker position well. I don't know why that is, I can't put my finger on it. They don't seem to be looking for young talent there like say the Cowboys and Chargers have built at that position. Anyone have a theory as to why? I'm stumped.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Good read and I agree I with it. I think if you were able to ask Belichick behind closed doors, at this point they are just trying to throw something at the wall and hope it sticks. For all the great things they've done, I don't think Belichick and Pioli have handled the linebacker position well. I don't know why that is, I can't put my finger on it. They don't seem to be looking for young talent there like say the Cowboys and Chargers have built at that position. Anyone have a theory as to why? I'm stumped.

The team is still feeling the ripple effects of Ted Johnson's unexpected, just prior to training camp, retirement. IMO that still has them in a huge hole. I think they expected him to be here a couple more years and be able to groom some of the young guys along.

The Seau signing is a low-risk high-reward gamble.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight, we don't like the way pioli and bb have stocked the team with linebackers? Manning would disagree. The linebacking corps has been on the most feared in the league. bb puts the emphasis on a very complicated, difficult to learn set of schemes and on versatility; for example, I think almost everyone plays DE. He's simply run out of jets to sign up.

Let's see! This board and the unnamed one were ready to start over years ago and cut McGinist, Johnson and Phifer. It seems bb did well by extending their careers. In case no one has noticed, Colvin and Vrabel were pretty good pickups through free agency. My criticism this year has been that we have not made the very moves we are now making, picking up a couple of veterans. Seau is this years Cox, or perhaps Phifer. And maybe we can get a future Vrabel or Ted Johnson from Dallas for Gorin or Graham or a draft choice.

Personally, I have given up hoping us to use top draft choices on linebackers. We gave that up years ago. Now we get first round veterans from the scrap heap: Seau, Jones, Sullivan and Chad Scott. Some work out, some not.

I'm Ron Borges? said:

Silk purse out of a Seau's ear? Not bad.

But the best thing about this article is that it's posted, right now, over lockers #37 and #55.

'Cause they don't get no R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if BB always have the last laugh. BB has had his share of success and failures in the LB department. I agree that signing Seau is a smack of desperation. Regardless of how great he once was, here is a 37-yr old linebacker who has been plagued by injuries the last few seasons and is clearly past his prime. However, I do like the idea that Seau can fill in for Bruschi until he heals up.

RESPECT is only valid when you are in your prime, doing well, and not getting recognized. But it doesn't apply to old age, and, in my humble opinion, Junior Seau is very old.

PatsFan37 said:
Silk purse out of a Seau's ear?

Attention all print media editors reading this forum: You have your headline for tomorrow!

Well done!

The Pats haven't lost the golden touch. They picked up serviceable players Heath Evans, Wesley Britt, Mike Wright, Santonio Thomas, Chad Scott, Artrell Hawkins, Mike Stone, Mel Mitchell, and yes Mony Beisel and Chad Brown in the last two seasons. There is no desperation in adding Barry Gardener and Jr Seau to that list.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
...For all the great things they've done, I don't think Belichick and Pioli have handled the linebacker position well. I don't know why that is, I can't put my finger on it. They don't seem to be looking for young talent there like say the Cowboys and Chargers have built at that position. Anyone have a theory as to why? I'm stumped.
They don't use high draft picks on linebackers because they don't like to put rookies in decision making positions, and other than quarterback, there is no position on the field that requires more thinking and decision making than linebacker. This is not just my theory; it is explained by BB in Management Secrets of the New England Patriots.

For what it's worth, Phil Simms, whose opinion I respect highly, stated during tonight's NFL game that he believes Junior still has the physical skills.

I also find it ironic that everyone here (OK, not everyone but a lot of people) were wringing their hands when the Pats didn't make a great effort to resign 35 year old Willie McGinest, but don't think 37 year old Junior Seau has anything left in the tank. Granted JS has done little the past two years but 37 isn't that much older than 35. JS has had injury problems the past two years and I hope that if he's healthy he can still be very productive. Don't forget that a lot of people thought McGinest was washed up by 2001, because he had been through a string of 4 or 5 injury plagued seasons. And Willie, while an outstanding player, never had the production that JS did.

Last edited:
i agree with the article and also think BB knows what seau he is getting.We dont know the inner details of the organization but maybe some is hurt more seriously than expected or someone is pretty bad at camp. The pats also signed dana stubblefield or someone last yr and cut him before the first game. BB knows he is just adding another body. i doubt he is trying to create magic with seau as he may have tried with beisel otherwise he wouldve signed seau the day he was released like he did rodney.

Why Pasquarelli is a fool

A poor commander reinforces failure. A poor commander cannot acknowledge mistakes. A poor commander is afraid others will mock him, so he hesitates to make unconventional decisions. BB/Pioli are not poor commanders. Chad Brown is out with an injury, and Beisel has been shoddy. Instead of thrusting Beisel out there to save face, or trading O-line depth for a mediocre LB with Dallas, they have picked up a player with leadership qualities who may stick. There is no downside to this move. I hope BB frames Pasquarelli's inanity on his wall, and laughs about it after hoisting #4. Wait till the king has died before announcing his death to the public. The king is still alive, and waiting to counterattack! Go Pats!

Re: Why Pasquarelli is a fool

I agree with your characterizations of poor commanders. I think also we are seeing the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. We are ONE season removed from two straight Super Bowl winning seasons, and three out of four. Do people really think it is realistic for us to win EVERY year? Do people really think we are "slipping" when we finally lose the first playoff game of the Brady-Belichick era, a game that we almost certainly would have won had it not been for a series of uncharacteristic mistakes?

Suddenly BB and SP have "lost their touch", because they didn't win the Super Bowl ONE YEAR, when 32 teams vie for it each year?

No F**king Respect Is What It Is :D

Last edited:
AzPatsFan said:
The Pats haven't lost the golden touch. They picked up serviceable players Heath Evans, Wesley Britt, Mike Wright, Santonio Thomas, Chad Scott, Artrell Hawkins, Mike Stone, Mel Mitchell, and yes Mony Beisel and Chad Brown in the last two seasons. There is no desperation in adding Barry Gardener and Jr Seau to that list.

I would reduce that list to Artrell Hawkins.

I don't know what your point was and BB tries out a lot of affordable players to keep cap healthy, but everyone else is unproven or potential cuts.

Nothing wrong with it, but how about Randall Gay etc. from previous years.

I hate to be negative, but I wouldn't put that group on my acquisition resume.

Though I liked Santonio the other night, he and Wright might be cut, Evans definitely will, Mitchell and Stone are gone and might have been cut anyway. I think Chad Scott will be good, but who knows?

Beisel and Scott head the list of the most disappointing pickups in recent years. Right there with Steve Martin and Donald Hayes.

To be fair, the Pats have drafted well at some of those positions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Ron Borges? said:

I think the article was fair, but I don't think desperation is the right word.

He uses the word "spackling" and that's what it is IMO.

It's frustrating, but BB seems to really underman some positions and try to fill in with really low value players.

If he hits on a couple marginal players that won't ever make much, he can offset expenditures at others.

He's avoid the high dollar primadonna cornerback since Law left and has no #1's in the secondary except Tebucky, (Bobby Grier).

I like our secondary with young lower round picks and some affordable vets.

Maroney means Mo' money, as does the revamped OLine and the three #1's at DLine.

A little paint and that Linebacker corps is as good as new.

Seriously, if he can somehow plug the dam til Bruschi returns, we'll have a strong group for the stretch.

With the opportunity maybe a value priced player or two will step up.

They still need one strong talent at ILB for the future IMO.

Seau isn't any savior, but he's not a zero, either.

As for desperation, I think we are pretty desperate. When the fans are rooting for Alexander to save the run D, and hoping that Roach is our solution... well, there you go. That's desperation, enough.

We've been talking about LB all offseason. This isn't a surprise. BB is patient. He's willing to wait for the right opportunity.

The draft came and went, and Carpenter was gone and Moroney was there. In a few years, we'll be glad we have Moroney, but by then we'll have some young stud playing ILB.

Until then, we can second guess each move, but it is what it is.

AzPatsFan said:

John Stone and Santonio Thomas have never played in an NFL game for the Patriots. There's a chance neither makes the team. Then you throw in Beisel and Brown? Wow. I mean, really, wow.

rookBoston said:
Seau isn't any savior, but he's not a zero, either.

For all the hundreds of posts, I think that pretty much sums it all up. If he can be solid enough on running downs to keep teams honest you're getting your money's worth.

Re: Why Pasquarelli is a fool

PromisedLand said:
I agree with your characterizations of poor commanders. I think also we are seeing the "what have you done for me lately" syndrome. We are ONE season removed from two straight Super Bowl winning seasons, and three out of four. Do people really think it is realistic for us to win EVERY year? Do people really think we are "slipping" when we finally lose the first playoff game of the Brady-Belichick era, a game that we almost certainly would have won had it not been for a series of uncharacteristic mistakes?

Suddenly BB and SP have "lost their touch", because they didn't win the Super Bowl ONE YEAR, when 32 teams vie for it each year?

Thank you!!! Those have been my exact thoughts the last month or so. We may not win it all this year, but we are so much luckier than fans of most teams because we always know we have a chance to win! We should just enjoy every moment watching this team, with our eyes wide open as to what their faults are. And remember, teams that look perfect on paper rarely win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back