PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pasquarelli: Gay signs RFA tender, Officially a 2007 Patriot [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebman2112

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Article Sample:
"Veteran cornerback Randall Gay, who started for the New England Patriots in their Super Bowl XXXIX victory but has been plagued by leg injuries in each of the past two seasons, signed his one-year restricted free agent qualifying offer with the team Thursday.

The deal, based on the tender the Patriots made Gay three months ago, is worth $1.3 million."

There is more to the full article.

Re: Pasquarelli: Gay signs RFA tender, Officially a 2007 Patriot

What was he waiting for?

What was he waiting for?
I'm assuming he was trying to arrange a longer term deal similar to what was done for Billy Yates. I recall Billy got a decent signing bonus which might have been something Blue wanted as an injury hedge. With the mandatory Mini-Camp coming up weekend after next, he probably just bit the bullet to lock in a deal should he be injured again in camp. I'm not certain if he's guaranteed the tender if he's cut before the season or not, I'll have to check Miguel's FAQs. Either way, I'm happy to have him locked in for a year and competing in camp with James and the rest, he's a good kid and someone I want to see succeed for the Pats after his misfortunes the past two years.

:woohoo: Blue!

Article Sample:
"Veteran cornerback Randall Gay, who started for the New England Patriots in their Super Bowl XXXIX victory but has been plagued by leg injuries in each of the past two seasons, signed his one-year restricted free agent qualifying offer with the team Thursday.

The deal, based on the tender the Patriots made Gay three months ago, is worth $1.3 million."

There is more to the full article.

Since Gay is an RFA doesn't that mean he is not a veteran?

I think of a veteran as some who has four accrued seasons and will hit unrestricted free agency immediately.

Since Gay is an RFA doesn't that mean he is not a veteran?

I think of a veteran as some who has four accrued seasons and will hit unrestricted free agency immediately.
He's a veteran, just not vested by Union standards as I understand the difference.

WHy would he wiat so long..what's teh up side for him??? Just waitiung for a longer deal?? Now that he is signed..can't a long term deal be done?? OR ??

WHy would he wiat so long..what's teh up side for him??? Just waitiung for a longer deal?? Now that he is signed..can't a long term deal be done?? OR ??
I'm sure a long term deal could still be done, but where is the incentive for the Pats? Blue needs to work hard, play well, and stay healthy to market himself. Despite his rookie efforts, his value to the club right now isn't much better then Andrews or Spann, either of whom could match Blue's on-field performance the past couple years, and certainly exceeded it last season on Special Teams alone. I'm hopeful for him, but from a team depth perspective, signing his tender is just a start.

I'm assuming he was trying to arrange a longer term deal similar to what was done for Billy Yates. I recall Billy got a decent signing bonus which might have been something Blue wanted as an injury hedge. With the mandatory Mini-Camp coming up weekend after next, he probably just bit the bullet to lock in a deal should he be injured again in camp. I'm not certain if he's guaranteed the tender if he's cut before the season or not, I'll have to check Miguel's FAQs. Either way, I'm happy to have him locked in for a year and competing in camp with James and the rest, he's a good kid and someone I want to see succeed for the Pats after his misfortunes the past two years.

:woohoo: Blue!

I checked the CBA quickly and couldn't find any language about guarantees to RFA's. In fact they characterize the contract as the same in all other respects as his previous contract. Franchise tags and since the new CBA transition tags are guaranteed once signed. RFA's can have their tender withdrawn prior to June 15th yet remain the property of the team if it is replaced immediately with a tender offer of 110% of the prior years salary, so once the RFA signing period ends - unless you are a superstar who believes he'd make millions if he can shoot his way out of town - that would be the incentive to sign your tender absent a long term deal.

So I believe if he doesn't make the team, he gets bupkiss, but if he does having signed his tender he gets $1.3M instead of potentially $467K

I'm sure a long term deal could still be done, but where is the incentive for the Pats? Blue needs to work hard, play well, and stay healthy to market himself. Despite his rookie efforts, his value to the club right now isn't much better then Andrews or Spann, either of whom could match Blue's on-field performance the past couple years, and certainly exceeded it last season on Special Teams alone. I'm hopeful for him, but from a team depth perspective, signing his tender is just a start.

When he's healthy, Gay is a considerable upgrade over Andrews or Spann.

When he is healthy.
Let's hope he follows in the footsteps of Willie Mac, a guy who had all sorts of injuries early in his career but stayed healthier later on. If nothing else he would bolster Special Teams and provide a backup in the defensive backfield. Heck the guy led the team in tackles on the biggest stage in SBXXIX (mostly against TO) and was third that postseason in tackles behind Rodney and Tedy.

Let's hope he follows in the footsteps of Willie Mac, a guy who had all sorts of injuries early in his career but stayed healthier later on. If nothing else he would bolster Special Teams and provide a backup in the defensive backfield. Heck the guy led the team in tackles on the biggest stage in SBXXIX (mostly against TO) and was third that postseason in tackles behind Rodney and Tedy.
Considering that he got his tackles playing CB that just meant teams picked on him. It's like Rivers picking on Hobbs in the SD game, only Rivers' giant receivers couldn't hold onto the ball like TO and Pinkney did. Still, it shows that BB's adage about defensive players who can't tackle isn't just lip service (see BBfan's sig for those not familiar with the quote).

Guregian...
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1003058
“The last couple of years, he’s had some nagging injuries, and the problem is they got banged up at that position,” Elias said, referring to the Pats’ rash of injuries in the secondary. “Last year, when they put him on IR, they were trying to protect him and do right by him. They didn’t want Randall to come back from that hamstring too soon.

“They didn’t want him to re-aggravate it or possibly tear it. I just believe it shows their commitment to Randall.”
Good luck Blue! :rocker:

When he's healthy, Gay is a considerable upgrade over Andrews or Spann.

I agree. In fact, if Spann is on the 53 on Opening Day, then this secondary will not be as strong as it needs to be.

With Gay in the fold, the # of DBs on the roster is now 18. I am including Samuel, and crossing my fingers.

Near-certain locks (barring injury, of course):
SS RHarrison
SS JSanders
FS BMeriweather
DB EWilson
CB ASamuel
CB EHobbs

Kids who will be given every chance to earn a spot:
DB RGay
DB WAndrews
CB MRichardson

Declining vets who need to prove that they still have some gas in the tank:
SS MMitchell - looking forward to see if he can be a legit backup SS
DB TJames
DB AHawkins
DB CScott
My preference is that the larger James and Scott work at FS, while the smaller Wilson, Hawkins and Andrews work at CB.

They really have to make a giant leap, and still hope for injuries/ineffectiveness:
DB LAnam
DB EJackson
FS RBaker

Don't bring a change of shorts:
DB ASpann
CB GWilliams

My personal top ten:
SS - Harrison, Mitchell, Sanders
FS - James, Meriweather
CB - Samuel, Wilson, Hobbs, Gay, Anam

I believe Gay can be a starting corner in this league. He's got the physical skills, and some experience at the position. This year could be the year he puts it together and breaks out.... I actually think he can compete with Hobbs, which will make both of them better.

Manza-Young...
http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_pats25_05-25-07_3U5P78B.35ec9db.html
With Gay now officially in the fold, the Patriots have a baker’s dozen of players on the roster capable of playing corner: Gay, Asante Samuel, Ellis Hobbs, Eugene Wilson, Tory James, Chad Scott, Eddie Jackson, Antwain Spann, Willie Andrews, Gemara Williams, and rookies Brandon Meriweather, Mike Richardson and Larry Anam.

Samuel, who is coming off a career year with 10 interceptions and two more in the postseason, has been designated as New England’s franchise player for this season, but not only has he not signed the one-year tender, talks between his agents and Patriots brass have been at a standstill for some time.
Get off the stick Asante.

Declining vets who need to prove that they still have some gas in the tank:
SS MMitchell - looking forward to see if he can be a legit backup SS
DB TJames
DB AHawkins
DB CScott
My preference is that the larger James and Scott work at FS, while the smaller Wilson, Hawkins and Andrews work at CB.

Captain -
How is Mitchell, at 28, a declining vet? Mitchell is a damn good gunner and special teamer who has also seen starting time with the Saints.

The others, I agree with you. In all honesty, I don't know if Hawkins makes this team. Same with Chad Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down