PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Party Hecklers (Rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so this past weekend was the first family gathering on my wife's side since the Patriots lost to the Ravens. Within her family I'm basically known as the "Patriots nut" so naturally that's what they wanted to talk about. The manner in which it was approached got under my skin though.

You wouldn't believe what they were saying. Ahhh, what happened. The Patriots suck. They are losers. I would rather they have a bad record and just stop teasing us only to let us down.

They suck, they haven't won a Super Bowl in 8 years. They choked again. They can't win the big game.

They weren't just busting my chops, they meant it. That just goes to show the 'what have you done lately attitude'.

How could they be the toast of the town one week and on the verge of the Super Bowl to being a team that SUCKS?

I mean c'mon, they were one of the final four teams left standing out of 32. People seem to forget that there are 31 other teams with players and coaches that get paid to achieve the same goal. That we are consistently in the running is an achievement in itself. Even if there are four GREAT teams every year, only 1 can win.

The Pats haven't won in eight years?!? Well, yes, in fact, only 6 teams have won Super Bowls in the past 8 years. But you mention 8 years and NOT 9 years because they did win it the season before that.

The Patriots choked again? Is it choking when when you make it to the AFC Championship game and are playing a quality opponent? When two great teams play each other only one can win. That's the simple matter of it. ONly one of those teams can win, and that doesn't mean the other one choked.

They can't win the big game? Really, if you classify the AFC CHampionship game as 'the big game' then you would be wrong, because they did in fact win that last year. No, last year the big game was the Super Bowl. Oh ok, so yes let's discredit all the victories each season and focus on their last loss.

You'd rather have a losing team? Um, are you sure about that. How much fun did you have watching your Red Sox last year. I'm willing to debate things with some people, but let's not be stupid. I'd take a team with seriuos championship potential over a losing team anyday.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to pull my hair out. Trust me, I'm as disappointed as anyone that the Pats didn't win the Super Bowl. I want that more than you could know, but I'm also realistic. I'm smart enough to realize that it's not a given that if you have a good team you will win the Super Bowl. After all, we won the Super Bowl in 2004 wiht a 14-2 while beating a Steelers team that went 15-1. Did that mean the Steeler's choked? I just wish other fans were reasonable and realized that their expectations are unfair and to realize that making it to the AFC Championship Game still qualifies as a good season.

Ok, so this past weekend was the first family gathering on my wife's side since the Patriots lost to the Ravens. Within her family I'm basically known as the "Patriots nut" so naturally that's what they wanted to talk about. The manner in which it was approached got under my skin though.

You wouldn't believe what they were saying. Ahhh, what happened. The Patriots suck. They are losers. I would rather they have a bad record and just stop teasing us only to let us down.

They suck, they haven't won a Super Bowl in 8 years. They choked again. They can't win the big game.

They weren't just busting my chops, they meant it. That just goes to show the 'what have you done lately attitude'.

How could they be the toast of the town one week and on the verge of the Super Bowl to being a team that SUCKS?

I mean c'mon, they were one of the final four teams left standing out of 32. People seem to forget that there are 31 other teams with players and coaches that get paid to achieve the same goal. That we are consistently in the running is an achievement in itself. Even if there are four GREAT teams every year, only 1 can win.

The Pats haven't won in eight years?!? Well, yes, in fact, only 6 teams have won Super Bowls in the past 8 years. But you mention 8 years and NOT 9 years because they did win it the season before that.

The Patriots choked again? Is it choking when when you make it to the AFC Championship game and are playing a quality opponent? When two great teams play each other only one can win. That's the simple matter of it. ONly one of those teams can win, and that doesn't mean the other one choked.

They can't win the big game? Really, if you classify the AFC CHampionship game as 'the big game' then you would be wrong, because they did in fact win that last year. No, last year the big game was the Super Bowl. Oh ok, so yes let's discredit all the victories each season and focus on their last loss.

You'd rather have a losing team? Um, are you sure about that. How much fun did you have watching your Red Sox last year. I'm willing to debate things with some people, but let's not be stupid. I'd take a team with seriuos championship potential over a losing team anyday.

I want to pull my hair out. Trust me, I'm as disappointed as anyone that the Pats didn't win the Super Bowl. I want that more than you could know, but I'm also realistic. I'm smart enough to realize that it's not a given that if you have a good team you will win the Super Bowl. After all, we won the Super Bowl in 2004 wiht a 14-2 while beating a Steelers team that went 15-1. Did that mean the Steeler's choked? I just wish other fans were reasonable and realized that their expectations are unfair and to realize that making it to the AFC Championship Game still qualifies as a good season.

Sounds like grounds for divorce. Your wife should have your back in those situations and tell them to shut the eff up.

They're just jealous! And this is proof why you have to crawl under a rock until the draft when the Pats lose!

They're doing it because it upsets you.

Look, we all like football, we all like the Patriots, and it hurts us all when they lose, especially in a big game.

But to be a well-adjusted human being, you have to figure out how to avoid letting the failures of a sports team that you have no control over affect your relationships with other people. If you didn't let it bother you, they'd stop pretty quickly, just like anything else in life.

I have a friend who's similar. He hates football, couldn't care less about it, and celebrates when the Pats lose simply because it means he doesn't have to hear about them anymore. It's infuriating in the moment after they lose, but I've learned the best way to handle it is just not engage him. Let him get his gloat out and after a few days, meh, who cares.

Except for the one year where, after the playoff loss to the Jets, he sent me a text message that was just the death jingle from the original Super Mario Bros. I have to admit that gave me a brief chuckle.

So if Baltimore loses than they will suck even worse because they haven't won in even longer. Is this really a difficult argument to win?

Borg is an in-law of yours?

Sounds like he writes for the Globe.

Just say what I always say: I'm fortunate to be the fan of a team where making the conference championship game and losing is an extreme disappointment. About 20 other NFL teams would kill to have a season like the one we just had and would be talking about how much of a tremendous success it was.

They're doing it because it upsets you.

Look, we all like football, we all like the Patriots, and it hurts us all when they lose, especially in a big game.

But to be a well-adjusted human being, you have to figure out how to avoid letting the failures of a sports team that you have no control over affect your relationships with other people. If you didn't let it bother you, they'd stop pretty quickly, just like anything else in life.

This is the most likely explanation, and is probably 100% spot on.

I too, have to endure the same kind of stuff living in the middle of Steelers nation here in Pittsburgh. Believe me, everyone that I know gets a kick out of trying to get me going when these kinds of opportunities present themselves, and it's a downright shame because I hardly ever bring it up myself so it's not like I'm making myself an easy target. Is it possible that you are making yourself a much easier target by relishing in the success in the past years?

I would simply remind everyone that Brady has taken them to the AFCCG or better in 7/12 years of playing, and that those are pretty good odds. Letting them know that the team itself is in good shape going forward always shuts them up pretty quickly too.

Usually I just say something like "it's nice to be able to have competitive football deep into the year every year, and it's a shame that they fell short." That usually leaves it at a point where not much else can be said.

With a dead serious look, you should have admitted how disappointed you are in the Pats, but how did they feel when O.J....I mean Ray Ray couldn't find his bloody suit.

You are getting some really crappy advice.

You have to do it like Sean Penn in Bad Boys.

Find the biggest douche or the leader of the "ïn-law" taunt squad and smash his face in with a pillow case full of unopened soda cans. (or was it bars of soap?)

The rest will back off.

This is the result of our championship success in the 01-04 days and being competitive year after year since. It's like when people celebrate the Yankees losing when they don't win the World Series.

If/when Brady and Belichick win another SB, the trash talk will die down. Behind the trask talk is an underlying fear that the Pats will win it all. I can just see fans of opposing teams watching us in the playoffs with their heads nervously rotating between the ground and tv "praying" the other team wins.

Find the biggest douche or the leader of the "ïn-law" taunt squad and smash his face in with a pillow case full of unopened soda cans. (or was it bars of soap?)

It was a pillowcase full of soda in cans...but that's Hollywood.

The reality is the "lock in a tube sock" move...you take a couple of shiny combination locks, stuff 'em in a sock and well...use your imagination...

It was a pillowcase full of soda in cans...but that's Hollywood.

The reality is the "lock in a tube sock" move...you take a couple of shiny combination locks, stuff 'em in a sock and well...use your imagination...

Missed that part of my education.
Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill