Welcome to PatsFans.com

Part 1 of series: Which of these FA linebackers would you want on next year's team?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Jan 14, 2009.

?

Which of the UFA LBs would you like to see added to our roster in 2009?

Poll closed Jan 24, 2009.
  1. Ray Lewis

18.5%
  2. Karlos Dansby

29.8%
  3. Mike Peterson

1.6%
  4. Bart Scott

17.7%
  5. Jon Vilma

8.1%
  6. Angelo Crowell

2.4%
  7. James Farrior

17.7%
  8. Willie McGinest

4.0%
  9. Eric Barton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Jordan Beck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I will have a series of polls that lies on areas that this team sorely needs upgrading - Today starts the Linebacker position whether its inside or outside

Some of these guys maybe franchise tagged but lets go with all available right now

Which of these linebackers would you want most of next years Patriots team?

If its another LB not on the list feel free to explain ....

Poll to follow ....
  2. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Re: Part 1 of series : WHICH OF THESE FA LINEBACKERS WOULD YOU WANT ON NEXT YEARS TEA

Ray Lewis and it's not even close.
  3. LoganMankinsPancakeBlocks

LoganMankinsPancakeBlocks Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Re: Part 1 of series : WHICH OF THESE FA LINEBACKERS WOULD YOU WANT ON NEXT YEARS TEA

Other: Terrell Suggs, and it's not even close for me.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. j00fek

j00fek Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

James Farrior, suggs
  5. Lampshade

Lampshade Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Other: Suggss. I don't see that happening though.

Realistically, I think Angelo Crowell would provide best value.
  6. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Suggs would be ideal, but if he's not available then Dansby would be pretty great too.
  7. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Suggs would be ideal, but if he's not available then Dansby would be pretty great too. I'm skeptical of Bart Scott in general.
  8. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The idea of Jarrod Mayo playing next to and learning from the best middle linebacker in the history of the game, is too hard for me to pass up. The other players are good, but Ray Lewis is a Patriot type of player. He "does his job" and he does it well. Plus the guy is one of the greatest emotional leaders of all time.
  9. Seels

Seels Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Vilma. Lewis is old, Farrior / Scott / Dansby would cost too much. Vlima has proven this year that he is still a good - great linebacker in the 3-4.
  10. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I dunno, there's no doubt he does what he does well, but in our system, at SILB especially, he'd be ask to stay in his gap, take on big offensive lineman, and shed them in time to make the tackle. That is Ray Lewis' worst nightmare.
  11. Lampshade

Lampshade Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I wonder how well that rah-rah type leadership would go over in an already established veteran locker room.
  12. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Good idea for threads.

I vote Dansby, but he could be too high priced, given we'll be allocating money to Cassel.
  13. patsfanofNC12

patsfanofNC12 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I vote Lewis, rest of the players are all good also, but I would love to have him with Mayo
  14. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Vilma wasn't a great LB in the Jets' 3-4...
  15. Walpole Pats Fan

Walpole Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Suggs or Farrior...
    I'd say scott but i think he's a jacka$$
  16. BradyFTW!

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Yeah, may not be entirely fair, but after his meltdown against the Pats in 2007 that may have cost the Ravens the game, I don't exactly see him in a positive light.
  17. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I'd agree about that with all the Ravens LBs. Suggs is the best one imo, and I'm willing to make an exception :)
  18. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

I voted Scott, but I would love to have Suggs. I figure Dansby will be franchised again so I didn't consider him. I wouldn't mind Farrior or Lewis, but at their age I am not getting overly excited if they are added since they would be a one or two year fix.

Vilma sucked in the 3-4 under Mangini, but that might have been because they didn't have a real NT. I know Belichick loved the guy coming out of the draft. He could go after him, but considering he struggled in the 3-4 and his potential price tag I would bet on it.
  19. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I would love to have Suggs on this team. If the price is right of course.
  20. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Suggs and it's not even close.
  21. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

David Harris didn't have a real NT last year (2007), and he did fine. That was the same reason I didn't vote for Vilma either. Though I would love to see him play the Jets twice a year
  22. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

why isnt Suggs on the list
  23. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Lewis is a thug, is too much of a bigmouth "me first" to fit in the Pats' system and has no place playing SILB in our 3-4 defense as he hates to take on blockers. He won't leave Baltimore anyway, as he is an icon there, has the owner's ear, and can get away with being a prima donna.

Dansby would be a great fit at SILB. He would also fit in to the Patriots' system nicely. Suggs (not on the list) would also be great. Both are likely too expensive, especially Suggs. With all of the talent coming out in the draft we will be in good position to develop a future Dansby and Suggs, but the draft is never a sure thing.

It will never happen but Suggs-Dansby-Mayo-Thomas would be a thing of beauty to behold.
  24. Urgent

Urgent Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If the question is who would I like to see, then it's Dansby. The team really needs to add some pressure from the outside.

However, if the question incorporates value, I think you look at Vilma. He might be good in an ILB rotation, and won't cost top money.

I think the Patriots really need a top young athletic OLB. I'm not sure Crable or Redd are the answer. Vrabel is not going to improve, and seemed to generate less pressure than in year's past. Thomas is also at the point where he is not going to improve, but could contribute more. The team needs a replacement for Vrabel soon, and still has a year or more where a young player could learn under him.

Further, adding a high-priced LB to the payroll will essentially prohibit spending money on a similar DB, where I think the need is higher.

So I would look at a decent ILB free agent, to play with Mayo, Guyton, and Bruschi, and hope to add a long-term solution at OLB in the draft.
  25. Calciumee

Calciumee PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Suggs. Hands down.
  26. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Monty Biesel...and it's not even close........................................wife is HOT
  27. TealSox

TealSox Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No doubt Ray Lewis would be an asset to the Patriot defense. Mayo and Guyton could learn a lot from him by just watching him in practice. I can't see him not returning to Baltimore, because him leaving would be like Montana leaving the 49ers. I know it could happen, but it just isn't right for the franchise and their fans.

That all said...

I say Karlos Dansby.

The guy is completely underrated and is just as much the player Bart Scott is, but unfortunately he is on the AZ Cardinals. While Bart Scott has Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Suggs, Ngata, McAlister and Rolle, Dansby has Adrian Wilson and A. Rolle. He is big, quick and young. I venture to say that he has yet to put up his best numbers, whereas Scott and Lewis will never put up better number than they have already.
  28. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Terrell Suggs.. even though it is a pipedream.. do not see Ray Lewis fitting into this salary structure and his ego is to big...
  29. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Re: Part 1 of series: Which of these FA linebackers would you want on next year's tea

keep ray away from the pats...

as for suggs, hes not on the poll, otherwise i would vote for him

right now though, ill take dansby...

for value i see vilma as well
  30. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I didnt list Suggs as not only would it be the obvious choice among most others but the chances are slim the Pats would have anywhere near the cap space Suggs would demand
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.