PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Parking is $40 at Foxborough these days?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. You said in a earlier post that you were not criticizing anyone in this thread. Apparently, you would regard being called a "sucker" as complimentary.

No, I pointed out that it's a personal thing, and that I'd likely have spending habits which would lend themselves to the same term in your eyes. I'm criticizing the price, not the people who pay it. If you want to be fool enough to shell out the cash for that, that's on you. As I noted, I used to drop $200 plus on dinner for two at the Cafe Budapest and not think twice about it. I'm sure that a lot of people would find that to be an act of ridiculously overpaying for a meal, and a foolish thing to do. Hell, when you realize that an extra value meal costs somewhere around $5, you can look at that $200 as 40 meals. Taken in such context, it can be seen as absolutely idiotic to drop the 2 Franklins for 1 meal. Nonetheless, I personally felt it was worth it.

2. You get an "F" in introductory economics if you think that a product for which the demand greatly exceeds the supply is overpriced. Thats' pretty basic stuff.

You're misusing the term. That's not my problem, it's yours. You're focused on "costs too much" as if it's a specific financial number when it's not. If I think something is overpriced, it's overpriced to me. It's a subjective term.

3. I wouldn't pay $9 for a beer, but others do. If that's what is sells for, that's what it's worth. Not everyone has to buy it for it to be a good deal for both the buyer and seller.

No, it's not "what it's worth". That's what the consumer has agreed to pay for the beer, whether he thinks it's truly worth that much or not. It's market price, and overpriced or underpriced don't necessarily equate to that, but can. The law of supply and demand doesn't determine an object's concrete value based upon the highest dollar amount paid anywhere in the world. Frankly, this argument is getting ridiculous. Even in context of NFL salaries, people freely talk about players who are overpaid, or who have outplayed their contract. The terms are understood, which is why this discussion is beginning to enter areas which make no contextual sense.

4. I regret that sports has become such a big business, but that's what it is. It's expensive and that leave a lot of people out. That's sad, but it's also reality.

5. When the time comes that the team is no longer competitive, people will see less value and less will be willing to spend the money.

Indeed, because it will be considered overpriced by more and more people.

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct, sir. When the Cafe Budapest was open in Boston, dropping $200 minimum on a meal for two was something I expected to do, and looked forward to doing as frequently as I could.

That's how I feel about Al Forno in Providence.

Don't worry about them. I do appreciate that you've kept them in your thoughts.

No, I will find those bastards!

You know what REALLY irks me? The cost of corn flakes. Imagine! A box of flakes of corn costs $4+? Ridiculous. :rolleyes:

An fairly irrelevant thread reaches 7 pages ? Hmmm...you kinda new that Deus would be in here somewhere :D

No, I will find those bastards!

They may have a different name over there.

Here's a description and explanation of their use:

Szechuan peppercorn - Kitchen Dictionary - Recipezaar

Here's a picture:

Szechuan-Peppercorns.jpg

And, if you find them, please don't worry about sending any to me. You might want to get some and use it for the 10 spice powder I mentioned so that your search isn't for nothing, but don't worry about my end of things. They are once again available in the United States:

Spices at Penzeys Spices Szechuan Peppercorns

Although, at about $19 a pound here, they're probably overpriced. ;)

Last edited:
They may have a different name over there.

Here's a description and explanation of their use:

Szechuan peppercorn - Kitchen Dictionary - Recipezaar

Here's a picture:

Szechuan-Peppercorns.jpg

And, if you find them, please don't worry about sending any to me. You might want to get some and use it for the 10 spice powder I mentioned so that your search isn't for nothing, but don't worry about my end of things. They are once again available in the United States:

Spices at Penzeys Spices Szechuan Peppercorns

Although, at about $19 a pound here, they're probably overpriced. ;)

Thanks, I'll let you know what I can find. Maybe I'll throw some at a parking attendant.

$40 to $50 for parking is insane!!!!!!!!!! Fans are fools to pay it. You go open a business then charge your customers $50 to visit your business. You will go bankrupt very fast unless your customers are fools like Pats fans.

After the debacle loss to the Giants in the Superbowl, parking and snacks should be FREE.........

I would like to believe the last line is in jest, but if not I would suggest only a fool remains with an endeavor that rewards time invested with misery. Feel free to find that special team out there that makes you happy and does not waste your time. If you feel Pats fans are fools, I would ask why you have been visiting a message board for Pats fans since 2006. As the saying goes, and I'm paraphrasing of course, fool me once shame on you, fool me 1378 times (the approximate number of days since your first visit), shame on me.

And as for why Kraft doesn't give the stuff away, I expect that is why Kraft has not asked you to run the financing of a $700 million dollar enterprise. And, since it is a business, what does he get in return for his capital outlay in exchange for giving his product away, your unfaltering loyalty?

Directed to the overall discussion, and applying basic market principles on what the market will bear, along with the basic fact that about 52,000 people are waiting for the opportunity to get season tickets to Patriots games, there seems to be quite a few placing value in the "experiece" of seeing a game. For those claiming otherwise, the answer is simple - don't go. Value is a subjective concept, and I would view buying a $200 meal comprised of ingredients individually valued far below that price as a foolish expenditure. To each his own.

It also costs far more in parking to see the Red Sox (if memory serves lots were clocking in at $60 or more), unless you want to find a $20 or $30 lot and mass transit to the game. The Celtics games were not much cheaper. These events are not high school games, and, much like apartment and home values, the lousy locales charge dirt for a fee, the sought after locales charge more. You can complain that an apartment costs 6 times more in NYC than it does in some tiny town in Utah, but it does not take a master economist to explain why that is the case.

Value is a subjective concept, and I would view buying a $200 meal comprised of ingredients individually valued far below that price as a foolish expenditure. To each his own.

Exactly, and well said.

You kidding me? That one made me laugh.

Sometimes real life is funnier than fiction. I don't recall the exact amount but I think its $10 per car.

I'm sure that someone can find out the exact amount and for how long they have to pay that.

But Disney World is open 365 days a year (or thereabouts). The sheer number of people who go there allows them to keep the parking charges low.

The Pats get 65,000+ fans to show up at their stadium 8 times a year. That's why parking is so expensive for football games (not to mention Bob Kraft is losing his shirt with Patriot Place). Even if you factor in concerts, the stadium is not used anywhere close to Disney's theme parks.

Theme Parks don't pull in anywhere near the amount of money that a top sports Franchise does (ie, The Patriots). Disney is in a league of their own. They generally pull in a combined 65 million customers between their 6 parks in the US. Obviously Disney doesn't just do parks, they are a huge entertainment corporation.

As for everybody else, the top Parks see less than 5 million visitors a year. The average Six Flags park sees under 2 million customers a year. A non-chain park rarely ever sees attendance top 1 million a year. The ticket prices are A TON cheaper than any sports tickets. The average price for Six Flags tickets are about $40, but there are TONS of discounts. They offer season Passes for anywhere from $50-$80 and they are good at ALL of their parks. A LOT of people purchase season passes. Parking at Six Flags parks is $15 right now. The company is actually IN DEBT, yet they don't charge ridiculous prices for parking.

A lot of smaller parks charge under $10 for parking and some are even free. Parks also don't share revenue (outside of chains), they don't get ridiculous TV contracts, and they don't sell any where near as much merchandise (nor for as much markup).

Simply put, there is no reason on than greed to charge such ridiculous rates for parking.

Last edited:
It also costs far more in parking to see the Red Sox (if memory serves lots were clocking in at $60 or more), unless you want to find a $20 or $30 lot and mass transit to the game. The Celtics games were not much cheaper. These events are not high school games, and, much like apartment and home values, the lousy locales charge dirt for a fee, the sought after locales charge more. You can complain that an apartment costs 6 times more in NYC than it does in some tiny town in Utah, but it does not take a master economist to explain why that is the case.

If you try to take a car right to the game you are either stupid or rich. Everyone knows that you take the train to that game. There is a big difference here though and it's space. There is VERY little space to put a big volume of cars near Fenway, the space just doesn't exist. There are a ton of ways to get to Fenway: take a bus, take the T, park in a regular $20 lot and walk, find FREE street parking and walk a couple blocks. I've gone to many many Sox games and I never pay more than $5 bucks for transportation.

Seriously? They charge *FORTY* dollars to park a car in the middle of nowhere, where there is absolutely no lack of land?

Are you KIDDING me?

How on earth has this gone on without RIOTS? Isn't anyone else completely outraged?
It's Randy's fault. Everything else is these days...

If you try to take a car right to the game you are either stupid or rich. Everyone knows that you take the train to that game.

I strongly advise against taking the train to Gillette. It is unreliable and time consuming. It's a roll of the dice whether you get to your seat before kickoff. I've done it three times. Once missed half the first quarter because the train was late, another time had to literally run to the stadium and got to our seats just before kickoff. It sucks.

I strongly advise against taking the train to Gillette. It is unreliable and time consuming. It's a roll of the dice whether you get to your seat before kickoff. I've done it three times. Once missed half the first quarter because the train was late, another time had to literally run to the stadium and got to our seats just before kickoff. It sucks.

Did you miss the part where I was responding to a quote about... the Red Sox?

You know what REALLY irks me? The cost of corn flakes. Imagine! A box of flakes of corn costs $4+? Ridiculous. :rolleyes:
And milk, the last time i looked milk was four or five dollars a gallon. If you were really hungry that would cost eight or nine dollars.

2. You get an "F" in introductory economics if you think that a product for which the demand greatly exceeds the supply is overpriced. That's pretty basic stuff.

3. I wouldn't pay $9 for a beer, but others do. If that's what is sells for, that's what it's worth. Not everyone has to buy it for it to be a good deal for both the buyer and seller.

I am sorry but the F in economics goes to yourself on this one you are assuming that value and price are the same thing that is very much not the case.
In bar X I can buy a bottle of 330ml bud for £2 and bar Y it is £4 it is over priced I can buy two bottle in bar X. The product is no different that makes the products value £3 one place is under priced SCORE! One place is over priced boo.
It's all about profit margin bar Y is making greater profit per product for being overpriced.
Is a parking space really worth $40 I doubt it if other places charge less for this service if the price was once lower then they are only doing it to increase profit if you can park at a private lot fairly close by then it is overpriced

The parking situation is a total ripoff.

I don't think I could ask someone for $40-$50 to park their car for a few hours with a straight face.

Capitalism at it's best ... but seriously. Property taxes have to be paid on those lots and it's not like they're used all year long. The businesses that charge for parking around there are raking in though because it's extra gravy for them. Cash no less ... report to the IRS what they feel like ... no paper trail. The IRS probably knows how many cars can park normally, but they squeeze in more for some serious skimage.

The problem is they have you by the balls. I guess it's the price you pay for having a good team.

If you try to take a car right to the game you are either stupid or rich. Everyone knows that you take the train to that game. There is a big difference here though and it's space. There is VERY little space to put a big volume of cars near Fenway, the space just doesn't exist. There are a ton of ways to get to Fenway: take a bus, take the T, park in a regular $20 lot and walk, find FREE street parking and walk a couple blocks. I've gone to many many Sox games and I never pay more than $5 bucks for transportation.

Wow. That would be very perceptive and insightful (and, may I add, confident) if it actually addressed the post and the parking question. I was referring to parking in the vicinty of the stadium, but thanks anyway for your pearls of wisdom. I guess it takes somebody "stupid or rich" to read the actual post before responding. If those free or cheaper lots are near the stadium and do not require a lengthy walk or a ride on available mass transit systems, what you're saying might make sense.

Whether in Boston or Foxboro, it also costs nothing to walk to either stadium. Big savings there for thrifty individuals like yourself. It shouldn't matter that you live 25 miles from your destination. There are also trains to Foxboro (there might even be buses, I don't know). The point is parking elsewhere and commuting back and forth to the lot costs time, and usually lots of it. If you have all day, park in some neghborhood in Foxboro and walk a few miles. That doesn't cost much either.

As for the value issue, the event is what drives the price up, not the price of real estate. If you are talking income necessary to fund the investment in real estate, Boston requires a higher monthly income to pay for the initial investment and reach the break even point. However, commercial property in Foxboro is not free, certainly not in that area. If the Boston lots are $60 during non-event times (and I went to school in that area), somehow the signs with that price tag are missing during non-event times, which sounds like the event drives the price. Not many people I know would throw big money down to park in that area but for the game. The same applies to Foxboro. People need to park for a game and will pay to do so. It costs nothing to park in "The End Zone" during the week, but it costs plenty during a game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back