Welcome to PatsFans.com

Parents question how global warming is taught in schools

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

This is truly upsetting. This is more proof of how a certain movement dominates public education in this country. Brainwash them while their young I guess. :rolleyes:

Global warming discussions in schools

Published: Saturday, March 17, 2007
    By Sky Barsch
    Free Press Staff Writer

Some parents question how global warming is taught in schools

In Montpelier earlier this year, Bill Burrell's sixth-grade students testified before legislative committees about global warming and what Vermont can do about it. The students also are immersed in conservation and alternative energy projects.

In South Burlington recently, a middle school math teacher used a portion of Al Gore's documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," to illustrate linear equations. An English teacher used the movie to spark opinion writing. Another documentary, "Too Hot Not to Handle," was shown in a science class during a climate and weather unit to help illustrate the effect that human beings have on the environment, Frederick Tuttle Middle School Principal Joe O'Brien said.

In Jericho this week, Jericho Elementary School students put on a play about global warming.

As global warming has shifted from the subject of scientific trade journals and alternative media to the center of the public and political arenas, it also has become a hot topic in public schools. That has some parents questioning what their children are hearing. Parents who disagree with the global warming theory, or who chalk it up to environmental alarmists or political hyperbole, are finding that their points of view aren't given the attention afforded the "other side."

This has educators wondering if global warming is the next intelligent design versus evolution debate.

"That's always a very delicate situation, that we provide a balance," O'Brien said of the global warming discussion. O'Brien was contacted recently by parent Linus Leavens, who was upset that "An Inconvenient Truth" and "Too Hot Not to Handle" were shown to his children.

continued here:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070317/NEWS01/303170003/1009&theme=

2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Needless to say, the government has no business entering into the world of theoretical hyperbole.

English, Math and proven, factual science is all they should teach IMO.

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

The job of the NEA is to indoctrinate the next generation of apparatchiks. Parents have no business interfering in the interest of the state and the dems designated unionsin creating the next generation of mindless libs.

4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

A couple of years ago my first grader came home telling me we were chopping too many trees down. I told him to forget about it and go and play. If he's worried about trees in first grade they'll get him on Ritalin by 6th grade :mad:

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

6th grade? My GF is a sped teacher, they drug em all up way before that. :mad:

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

My kids' 2nd grade teacher said we may want to talk to his Pediatrician about Ritalin . . . that conversation didn't go too far. I actually really liked her as a teacher and plan to request her for my younger son but the idea of pumping mind numbing drugs into a 2nd/3rd grader because he has things on his mind other than listening to a teacher every second is beyond ridiculous.

7. Real World

Ratings:
    +580 / 6 / -2

It's disturbing BF. My GF thinks I have ADHD, and in talking to her, I thik that if I were a kid today, I'd be on drugs. Messed up since I think I turned out alright.

8. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

RW, You dropped out of the discussion:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=52771&page=6

after implying your common sense about past weather is more reliable than the work of thousands of scientists. Now you post this crap? Don't you get it Real World, the humankind affected global warming position is the dominant one, not just among liberals, but among scientists and many other groups as well (including some conservative church groups).

Someone might believe the world is flat or that our landing on the moon was actually filmed in NASA's back yard, but it doesn't mean it should be taught. Thousands of scientists believe that global warming is for real, that humankind is playing an important role in it, and that global warming is potentially very dangerous. That's enough for most people. The only ones who are fighting it are the diehard right-wingers and people like you who obviously think they know better than scientists on how to estimate temperatures and weather patterns of the past. By the way, I gather you haven't even read the Skeptics -- even many of those who oppose the hockey stick graph don't dispute our ability to estimate temperatures from years past. The global warming argument is mostly over; there are some skeptics still hanging around, but that's true of many scientific theories.

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Even if Global Warming were true and caused solely by humans, which I'm not stipulating to, btw, but I will for the sake of this thread, it still has no business in schools. Public schools should not be in the business of telling people how they should live their lives. They should teach math, english and proven science. And nothing more.

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Unfortunately the schools are spending more time teaching how to worship as a Muslim, and radical homosexual advocacy. Those are also the cornerstones of education. Well, at least it is these days...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

Which Thousands the IPPC list which includes scientist who asked their names be removed since their work was edited by bureaucrats or the Sociologist and others who were not qualified to write about the science?

12. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Coulter's really drilling it in there.

13. Patters

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

Global warming is proven. Even many of the so-called skeptics don't disagree; they disagree with some aspects of the proof. From what I've read, many scientists agree we are in a natural warming trend, but the human contribution is clear as well. From the point of view of some, very little of science of any kind (Darwinism, relativity, etc.) has been proven.

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +720 / 2 / -9

CARTHAGE, Tenn. - Al Gore has profited from zinc mining that has released millions of pounds of potentially toxic substances near his farmstead, but there is no evidence the mine has caused serious damage to the environment in the area or threatened the health of his neighbors.

Two massive white mountains of leftover rock waste are evidence of three decades of mining that earned Gore more than $500,000 in royalty payments for the mineral rights to his property.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070318/NEWS01/70316074

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Harry points out the real threat to the environment. Al Gore aside, the direct contamination of soil, groundwater and air from mining, fossil fuel combustion, dumping and other human activity is a much more urgent threat to humans. The levels and effects are observable and measurable.

The problem with the "debate" (if you call it that) is that time spent teaching about the issues of pollution and stewardship of the land gets replaced by these popular trendy issues like global warming and multiculturalism. Kids have virtually no education about the stock market and the world economy, which are much more important than these hot-button media driven issues that are now the focus of education. Educating your kid at home in addition to the crap they get in school is more important than ever.

16. iguide

iguide Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If the schools did only as you suggest then they would have never taught the theory of evolution. You are correct about one thing. This damn liberal society we live in is intent on cramming their values down our throats. Like drugging our kids to encourage the behavior they want. You can thank the liberals, drug companies and the feminist for that one.

I love the way you people sit at home at you computes and say this is happening or that is not happening. How do you know? The fact is you do not have a clue. You are inside buildings 80% of you lives and have no real connection to the living world. Most of you can't tell a moose from a deer or where the nearest golden eagle resides. You could not tell a white-throated sparrow from an ovenbird. Never mind identify them by song. You do not know the difference between a mink and an otter what family they are a part of and what other species they might smell like & how they are related. So go ahead and tell everybody that you know this is not happing with our planet. Some of you people know these things, but 87.925% of you do not have a clue even though you think you do. You are so ignorant about our natural world you do not even know it.

While warming and cooling patterns are cyclic and a natural part of the earth’s long-term climate, anyone who says or thinks that mans activities doe not have some influence on the natural word is living in a world-darkened ignorance.

How do I know what I am talking about? I work in the outdoors everyday. My career is interacting and observing nature; it's animals, plants, amphibians, birds, ecosystems and weather patterns. It is my job to do this. I can tell you from first hand life and job experience that the climate is changing. It is getting warmer. Are we causing it? I do not know for certain I suspect that from what I observe, but do not know it as a given fact. However, I do know that somehow our activity as humans is affecting our climate. The plain fact that we exist in it means that we alter it. The question is how are we affecting it?

So now that I have written this all you stay indoors people can now write how you think I am wrong. I know what I see, do you? All I can say is just stay at you computers and keep thinking. That’s what you good at and not much else. I will go out and live my life every day outdoors where the real world is. Not in mans artificial self-important world where most of you are and feel so smug about.

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +294 / 12 / -10

That's a truly bizarre comment. Liberals want troubled kids to have therapy, conservatives don't want to spend the bucks. The result is that troubled kids end up going to a doctor of psychiatrist who prescribes drugs. It's a terrible solution, but the decision to give a kid drugs ultimately rests with the parents. (Personal responsibility, you know.) What do feminists have to do with this issue? That's a weird comment on your part. As far as the drug companies, they give far more generously to Republicans than Democrats:

http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.asp?Ind=H04

Other than that, I thought your post was really good. Many of the global warming skeptics reject visual evidence, arguing that it's merely dramatic and if you go back to another eon you could have found the same thing. (Whether you like him or not, Gore's movie and book have striking photos of the effects of global warming.) My own feeling is that what you wrote is one part of the equation. Add to that the scientific evidence, the photographic evidence, and so on, and you have a pretty convincing argument that we better do something about global warming, regardless of where the responsibility lies.

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +534 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

Most of basic physics, chemistry and biology is "proven".

The cause of Global Warming is not other than the fact that the earth is a little warmer and that is has always gone through warming and cooling periods.

But even if it were, it shouldn't be taught by the government, it's not like e=(mc)^2, it's not some straight fact it's a moral, ethical issue that's for parents and kids not the governement.

19. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If it's true, it should be taught. It's not just a moral issue, it's a scientific one. If the earth is warming (which it is), I want my kids to learn about it just like they learn about other science issues. If the majority of scientists believe humans have a hand in the warming (which they do), I want my kids to learn about it just like they learn about other sciences.

There's not much in any science that's "proven", hell, they're starting to re-think one of Newton's fundamental conclusions (that gravity decays using the same inverse square law that elecromagnetic radiation does). But there's scientific consensus, and your opinion not withstanding, scientific consensus is that the Earth is warming at least partially due to humans.

Now, what to do about it, is a moral issue. The fact that it's happening is purely scientific.

20. iguide

iguide Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007