PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Parcells: QB pick Brissett, character-wise, is a "Curtis Martin, Troy Brown" type...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing Parcells compare Brissett to Curtis Martin and Tedy Bruschi certainly made me feel better about the pick but it also touches on the reason the Patriots draft board is so different than the generic rankings we all go by in the lead up to the draft. I read long ago that Belichick ascribed to personality testing that tries to discern the traits found in "winners." The Celtics and other pro teams were using these psychological tests years ago and Belichick places value in them. Imo it's these qualities that allow athletes to develop to the best of their abilities and make them more likely to succeed than athletes who may have more natural ability but never make the most of it. Every prospect is going to say they are hard workers focused on being the best but only a fraction have the will and commitment to do so. Figuring out who they are in advance is tough to do but I think it's something the Patriots are always trying to discern. I don't think they are alone in using this kind of metric and I think it's still hit it or miss but if you are going to bring kids in and hand them millions then you want to know as much as possible about how they will handle themselves when they have what they wanted but still have to do the work. Given that the Patriots are always picking at the back of the pack it's difficult for them to get the blue chip prospects so they have to choose from groups of prospects with similar ability, so they try to find the ones who will work the hardest when they are pro's instead of just taking the ones who shined when they were trying to get to the pros.

Weird, I thought this forum already decided he was worse than Kevin O'Connell and only has a chance in the NFL as a running back.

Both of our backup QBs appear to have the potential to be starters in this league, in particular being on a team that has a track record of being able to develop QBs bodes well for them.

The intangibles about Brissett is what catches my attention, since that was the first thing about Brady that I remember hearing about, and why the coaching staff loved him before he was close to replacing Bledsoe.

Not saying that is going to happen here, but we have every reason to think the Pats QB situation going forward post-Brady will be in good hands.

We would love to have one of Jimmy or Jacoby to emerge as a top notch state for obvious reasons, but the added benefit of watching the collective heads of the opposing teams' fans, owners, and the NFL* front office exploding would be priceless, as the Pats continue to contend without going through the down cycle and multiple misses in finding a new QB that other teams go through.

It would be almost enjoyable watching the NFL* machinations of trying to handicap the Pats in the future.

I love Tuna. Always will.

I grew up with the 1980s era Giants and he was a god to me.

What he did leading up to the SB will never be forgotten but I've forgiven him.

No Tuna here means most likely no BB.

I love Tuna. Always will.

I grew up with the 1980s era Giants and he was a god to me.

What he did leading up to the SB will never be forgotten but I've forgiven him.

No Tuna here means most likely no BB.
He had a LOT to do with the dynasty. He totaly changed the culture of the team and the fans. I agree about '96-ill never forget but ive also forgiven. But thats just me. Lifes too short to hold grudges. And BB has long since mended fences and wants Tuna in the pats HOF. As do I.

I'm guessing Grop is gone after next year and Brissett will be groomed to be the eventual starter. Brady has 4 years left on his contract? It's enough time for brissett to learn the system and hold the clip board.

He had a LOT to do with the dynasty. He totaly changed the culture of the team and the fans. I agree about '96-ill never forget but ive also forgiven. But thats just me. Lifes too short to hold grudges. And BB has long since mended fences and wants Tuna in the pats HOF. As do I.

Fans who don't like parcells have to realize that he was fueding with kraft, not the players and fans. And if parcells did not stand up to kraft then kraft would never have given BB full authority over personnel. Kraft learned his lesson.

Orthwein brought us the Tuna and Kraft. Without him and his wanting to move team to SL, we might still be talking about baseball spring training during the winter months.....

For f*ck sakes man! Why didn't you tell me it was a BSPN article. I just freaking clicked on it! GOD DAMN IT MAN!:(

For f*ck sakes man! Why didn't you tell me it was a BSPN article. I just freaking clicked on it! GOD DAMN IT MAN!:(

:confused:

3c868699af170403efbe1bd588664f97.jpg

Dunno if its been mentioned already but he balled out in this one. Against 2014 #1 FSU

Thanks. Nice video. He needs to learn to hook slide more and protect the ball while in the pocket (not just rely on those huge mitts) better, but was doing a lot right (Throw aways) while under lot of pressure.

The more I read about this kid and the kinds of props Charlie and Tuna are giving him and the rash of injuries he had to deal with at NC State to skill players I'm liking this pick more and more.

No idea if he'll be good but the judgement of the pick seems very solid.

Dunno if its been mentioned already but he balled out in this one. Against 2014 #1 FSU

Looks Big Benish. Might do well.

Weird, I thought this forum already decided he was worse than Kevin O'Connell and only has a chance in the NFL as a running back.

I'm not sure if there are any other running backs that run a 4.94 40 in the NFL. :D

That said, he is a smartly elusive runner, and he certainly is strong as an ox. Watching that game against Florida State he seemingly would get swarmed by a sea of defensive jerseys and then either the ball would squirt out for a completion, or he would somehow shrug everybody off and buy extra time for a completion. That part (shrugging off defenders when seemingly in the grasp), at least, really does remind one of Roethlisberger (not saying he will be as good).

Boy. What a game! Thank you to bring back the memory.

Looks Big Benish. Might do well.
Yes. Say what you want about Big Ben as a person but the guy has had an amazing career.

I'll take that in a heartbeat.

And a captain on a Rex Ryan coached team.

Lance Zierlein compared him to Jameis Winston with the caveat that Winston came out of college well developed whereas Brissett still needs some of that development. Most of Winston's stats were better but I'll leave you with this one. In Winston's final two years, he threw 100 more passes than Brissett's last two years. In that time, Winston threw 28 interceptions, Brissett threw 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes