PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Parcells' coaching regret

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the combination of Parcells and Kraft would have gotten the best out of Bledsoe and company. Parcells (without Jones' meddling) seemed to get what Bledsoe needed the most out of any coach Bledsoe ever ended up having.

Good safety valve options, good blocking and a respectable rungame. Oh...and he knew when to give Bledsoe the business to keep him focused.

As wrong as he was to do what he did the way he did it, there's an excellent case to be made that he was forced out.

As wrong as he was to do what he did the way he did it, there's an excellent case to be made that he was forced out.

Make the case.

He's the one who wanted his contract shortened to avoid having to pay a buyout. That was when Kraft and Parcells still had a good relationship. Parcells has always been about money, and his relationship with three team Presidents (G Young, Kraft and J Jones) hasn't been stellar.

maybe we dont know the whole story

A voice of reason!

Let's just say IMO Mr Kraft learned a great deal for the Parcells situation.

Let's also not forget that several of the keys to the championship teams were brought here by Bill Parcells

Having said that I wouldn't want any other coach than Bill Belichick

Re: Parcells Coaching Regret

HAVING TO....?

Bill, are you getting senile? You CHOSE to leave New England and f'ed them over in the Super Bowl by coaching with your head already firmly in New York.

He was afraid he was going to starve to death because he wasn't allowed to cook the dinner.
Looking at him now, it's clear that that fear wasn't realized. He's a regular Emeril in Miami.

He's a regular Emeril in Miami.

Really? What has he done since he's been there? Sure, the 'Phins won the division but they had to do it on tie-breakers.

And they still have the sorriest collection of WR's in the division and no one to throw them the ball.

Make the case.

He's the one who wanted his contract shortened to avoid having to pay a buyout. That was when Kraft and Parcells still had a good relationship. Parcells has always been about money, and his relationship with three team Presidents (G Young, Kraft and J Jones) hasn't been stellar.

When your boss gradually takes away your power and gives it to an incompetent many executives feel they are being squeezed out.

How do you know Kraft and Parcells ever had a good relationship? Parcells was hired by Orthwein and explicitly given control of personnel. He had personnel people, but I've found quotes where he explicitly had that power.

What information do you have about his relationship with Kraft and Kraft's ideas about control of Personnel? None, I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Parcells regrets that he didn't spend more time with patriots. And for saying this, we should flame him??????

Because he's being somewhat disingenuous...yeah. He had to leave because he couldn't have it all his way. Same reason he always leaves. Same reason anyone with half a brain knew it wouldn't work out with Jerry. Two guys who want to be in charge and perceived as the architect. One of whom is the owner.

I think he went to NY specifically because he thought he could leverage his way into ownership with Leon Hess' health in decline. I recall he was rumored to be putting together ownership groups that he would head as the brains behind the money. Didn't materialize and he left after Woody was awarded the franchise.

One of the many ways he and little Bill are different as night and day. Parcell's felt limited as a HC and even defacto-GM. Big Bill is big picture oriented, little Bill is detail oriented. Parcell's didn't want to have to explain his vision or answer to anyone. I think he wanted to be the modern day version of Al Davis. Bill Belichick is a teacher at heart. For him there was satisfaction not only in coaching players and building infrastructure but in educating a bright ownership willing to learn and eager to be partners in a vision who would primarily handle the bigger picture marketing end of the operation he has no interest in. He just wants to win football games. He doesn't have the ego that makes building concensus difficult. As his relationship with Pioli underscored. And he doesn't have a problem interacting in a mutually respectful way with the guy who signs his checks.

Parcell's has mellowed over time and he probably regrets not making the effort to win Kraft over as opposed to imposing his will. He hasn't remained anywhere long enough to succeed at the highest level since. I'm surprised he didn't bail on Miami over the sale of the franchise. But so far the new owner seems to be more concerned with adding celebrity backers to his entourage than elevating his profile within the owners fraternity. Year three is when BP starts to get the itch, so it will be interesting to see if he finally fulfills a contract or again moves on and maybe finds another rebuilding gig post lockout...

Really? What has he done since he's been there? Sure, the 'Phins won the division but they had to do it on tie-breakers.

And they still have the sorriest collection of WR's in the division and no one to throw them the ball.

What? Sorry to burst your bubble but Devon Bess and Greg Camarillo are very good WRs. Yes, Tedd Ginn has been a bust, but that wasn't Parcells. Brian Hartline had a very good rookie season.

Chad Henne is turning out to be a pretty good QB for them.

I think that you grossly underestimate the WR corps in Miami.

There are three possible explanations for his remark:

1) He's in such denial over what most regard as his responsibility for creating the situation that led to his departure from the Pats that he has created his own revisionist version of the history of those weeks, which exonerates him from that responsibility.

2) There was more going on behind the scenes than we know and the Kraft family really was signalling him that they didn't like and weren't comfortable with him, as some have speculated, based on rumors and hearsay.

3) He sincerely regrets creating the situation that resulted in the inevitability of his departure.

I'd say that 1) is 90% likely, 2) is 10% likely and 3) is so unlikely as to be barely measure-able (less than one percent).

Parcells is a very polarizing guy. Mention him to Cowboys or (most) Jets fans, and they hate his guts. Most Patriots fans do resent him. I personally have never really had an issue with Parcells other then the Patriots situation. But taking out all of the controversy, he is a historic name with a great philosophy and a tremendous coaching tree.

But his power struggle with the FO has always plagued him. And it's fine if he regrets leaving the Patriots, but he left (like someone else said in here) because he wanted to run the show with the Jets. His constant angling for that power has always been a detriment.

Tedy Bruschi
Willie McGinest
Ty Law
Lawyer Milloy
Ted Johnson

He left us with some great parting gifts.

How does he get credit for great drafts? If I recall correctly the reason why he got pissy and left was Kraft wouldn't let him shop for the groceries.

Make the case.

Didn't know if there would still be news articles. This is enough. Parcells never had the title of General Manager, didn't seem common in those times. He was part of a management team. His control of personnel derived from a promise Orthwein made, which caused Parcells to promise in his contract, he would fulfill it.

Since Kraft made no such promise and Parcells didn't have the title, Parcells could have taken any move by Kraft to be undermining the authority Orthwein gave him as a personal promise.

But what did concern Parcells was that he would be part of a management team, which he never was with the Giants, where Young ultimately makes the key personnel decisions. With the Patriots, Parcells reports only to the owner...

Orthwein promised Parcells that he would be able to tell Forte what he wants and that Hausmann would then attempt to sign the players.

Parcells, saying that he was now part of a management team but stressing that "this wasn't about power," nevertheless made a telling point when asked about picking players:

"I think I have the most experience at this table in picking talent."

Orthwein said: "As far as who's going to pick whom, we haven't gone to the expense of picking Bill Parcells not to use his expertise."

PRO FOOTBALL - PRO FOOTBALL; If Some Ignore Parcells, The Patriots Surely Don't - Biography - NYTimes.com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey