PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Parcells clip on Pats/Cowboys matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parcells speaks the truth.

Any wonder that BB forced his kickers to play keep away from the Bills and Browns? assesing both clubs you would have to say their returns game was a major weapon for both clubs.

Any wonder that BB forced his kickers to play keep away from the Bills and Browns? assesing both clubs you would have to say their returns game was a major weapon for both clubs.

and romeo did try the same thing this week..Same philosophy.

What would you consider th cowboys two greatest t offensive threats/

I'd suggest it was Romo on a roll out right to Witten or the right side WR is first.

Second, I'd list the Cowboys run game.

How to defeat both?

Roll the zone coverage to the right and split the LBs and shade the LBs Right. Have the strong side LB (Vrabel) play very conscious contain, controlled rush, and maybe even penetrate deeper than normal on his rushes, in order to clsoe off the rollout lane.

Watch for Witten on a crossing route left to right...

With the coverage rolled that way let Asante be prepared to jump some routes and produce INTs, since he has help deep.

Last edited:
What would you consider th cowboys tweo greates t offesnive threats/

I'd suggest it was romo on a rollout right to Witten or the rightside WR is first.

How to defeat both?

Roll the zone coverage ot the right and shade the LBs Right. Have the strongside LB (Vrabel) play very conscious contain, controlled rush, and maybe even penetrate deeper than normal on his rushes.

we need to pressure romo and contain him in the pocket like vick or vince young. They need to take witten out of the game. That guy is more valuable for them then their WR's .
I think TO is going to have a good game -he is physically superior to our DB's but the fear of hits may cause some drops.
Key here is to no let romo roll outside the pocket. i think they might gameplan same way as they did against mcnabb in the superbowl. have extra LB's and less linemen.

do wutever the bills did to scare romo...it shouldnt be too dificult...

What would you consider th cowboys two greatest t offensive threats/

I'd suggest it was Romo on a roll out right to Witten or the right side WR is first.

How to defeat both?

Roll the zone coverage to the right and split the LBs and shade the LBs Right. Have the strong side LB (Vrabel) play very conscious contain, controlled rush, and maybe even penetrate deeper than normal on his rushes, in order to clsoe off the rollout lane.

With the coverage rolled that way let Asante be prepared to jump some routes and produce INTs, since he has help deep.

Is that you Bill?

...and why he nearly ripped off Sauerbrun's head off following his punt to Pacman last year. It was a very telling moment.

On somewhat of a side note, does anyone here still think of the Cowboys as Parcells' team? I have to constantly remind myself that's no longer the case.

It is Bill's team. Wade just holds the head set for Jerry Jones.

Take away Whitten and limit T.O. and win by 14. Done.

Agree To and Witten there running game scare nobody especially julius jones man is he terrible.

Things that I have noticed about Romo that experts fail to recognize, he doesn't throw deep balls very often, if at all. Also, I don't know where they get the idea that Romo has "great arm strength" because if you notice, his passes sail or float alot. I'm not just talking about last nights game against the Bills, I'm talking about ever since he's been a starter. Romo is very accuarate when it comes to short to intermediate passes but he doesn't throw the long ball at all. Almost all of the Cowboys big passing plays came from short passes turning into long gains because of poor tackling. This makes Romo look like he's completing long passing plays. I liked what I saw from the Bills defense making solid tackles whenever a Dallas reciever caught the football, making Dallas really work for their points.

With that said, this is what the Pats need to focus on to neutrilize Dallas's offense. First, Romo is unlikely to take shots deep down field like Brady/Manning do on a regular basis. So I don't think the defense will be worried about that. What the defense needs to worry about is the middle of the field, particularly their recievers running crossing routes underneath the LB's. This is something that Dallas does very well. Jason Witten is Romo's favorite target, plain and simple. He is the safety valve when things break down and clearly has the best hands on the team. The Pats need to find a way to eliminate Witten. One thing that I have seen on a regular basis, is teams focus too much on Owens and not Witten. Their afraid that Owens will beat them deep beat Romo doesn't have the arm strength to launch it deep. Don't believe me? Show me when Romo throws it deep. He doesn't. At times, Witten is so wide open, any joe schmoe could complete a pass to him. However, when teams do put one LB on him, it turns out to not be enough to cover him. In fact, Witten is a very good route runner and gets seperation from his good cutting ability. He isn't the fastest guy, but he will kill teams with his good hands and route running ability if they forget about him.
So it all comes down to, can the Pats LB's and nickel packages control the middle of the field? I feel if they can that away from the Cowboys, they will win the game.

Last edited:
Good stuff from the Tuna

Good stuff from the Tuna

I actually enjoy listening to Tuna and Keyshawn. Parcells gives you more insight
than anybody (he must have learned it all from BB:rolleyes: ) and it's funny to see him needling Keyshawn. You can see why he's been successful with many problem players.

I'm glad he got out of the league before psycho T.O. gave him a nervous breakdown, though.

Last edited:
.... What the defense needs to worry about is the middle of the field, particularly their recievers running crossing routes underneath the LB's. This is something that Dallas does very well. Jason Witten is Romo's favorite target, plain and simple. He is the safety valve when things break down and clearly has the best hands on the team. The Pats need to find a way to eliminate Witten. .... At times, Witten is so wide open, any joe schmoe could complete a pass to him. However, when teams do put one LB on him, it turns out to not be enough to cover him. In fact, Witten is a very good route runner and gets seperation from his good cutting ability. He isn't the fastest guy, but he will kill teams with his good hands and route running ability if they forget about him.
So it all comes down to, can the Pats LB's and nickel packages control the middle of the field? I feel if they can that away from the Cowboys, they will win the game.

If that one linebacker is named Adalius ...
it'll be enough.

The Bills had Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel shoot straight in on every play. They created a pocket and forced Romo to plant his feet and throw, often under duress because they're very good defensive linemen. The Patriots can do the same thing. I don't think the Cowboys have a very good offensive line.

The Bills had Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel shoot straight in on every play. They created a pocket and forced Romo to plant his feet and throw, often under duress because they're very good defensive linemen. The Patriots can do the same thing. I don't think the Cowboys have a very good offensive line.

I agree with this (based solely on the MNF game, as it's the only DAL game I've watched). Running, Jones has been less than stellar and Barber has been good, mainly because he is a strong masher; under-rated back.

The problem with this is that Romo is at his best, possibly THE best (active, thus far) running around. The backers are then required to either a) contain him and support the DL or b) cut off the intermediate pass/smother Witten.

Jarvis Green steps up a la Willie Mac and he'll need to this game. The secondary can support the LBs (who'll be required to two-fold support the DL), but with two solid deep threats, something will have to give at least 3 or 4 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back