PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Papelbon

patriotspride

Banned
Reaction score
does anybody remember the last time pap had a clean inning? because i dont. he needs to start throwing something besides his fast ball because other teams are sitting on it. hes the redsox biggest concern because hes not a lock to shutdown anybody anymore. hes become all to hittable

Last edited:
Just checked Pap's stats.. Tonight is the first time he's given up an earned run since July 13 (that's two months ago).. And opponents are hitting .204 against him and he's given up 3 homers all season.. It's also his first blown save since June 22.. Yeah, he wasn't good tonight, but saying he's 'all too hittable'?? You're overreacting...

5 appearances ago against NYY. Although his outing on Monday was pretty dominant, even if he did allow a single in 1.1IP.

He's allowed a lot of baserunners this month, but prior to this 4 game stretch of allowing 8 hits in 4IP he's been fine. 5 of his 11 outings in August were perfect, and he only allowed one baserunner in another 4. 4 of his 9 July outings were perfect, and in another he allowed 1 baserunner. 7 of his 11 outings in June were perfect.

Overall his 0.90WHIP this season is third best among active closers in the majors, only behind Rivera and Soria. Better than KRod. Better than Jenks. Better than Nathan. Better than Percival and Wheeler. Better than any other closer likely to make it to the postseason.

If this was a trend that was season long it would be something to worry about, but for now it just looks like a bump in the road that should hopefully pass soon. I'm not worried just yet.

Papelbon is a concern now? bwahahahahahaha

Papelbon is a concern now? bwahahahahahaha
watch the games. stats can be misleading . hes giving up a hit or a base runner every game he goes into lately. for a closer who often comes into a game with base runners in a 1 run game that's a concern. its not time to panic or anythiing. but its something to watch that's for sure.

Last edited:
I think we should mix Masterson in as our closer a little when Papelbon needs some rest, it's obvious Masterson has the balls for being a closer.

watch the games. stats can be misleading . hes giving up a hit or a base runner every game he goes into lately. for a closer who often comes into a game with base runners in a 1 run game that's a concern. its not time to panic or anythiing. but its something to watch that's for sure.

I watch all the games. I agree that he has given up some hits in his last 4 appearances but I don't see the cause for concern. He was dominant when he came in to get out of Lester's jam and just didn't get it done last night. Maybe working 3 nights in a row got to him or you just have to give the Rays players credit. Either way I won't waste any time thinking about how Papelbon is goin be.

I watch all the games. I agree that he has given up some hits in his last 4 appearances but I don't see the cause for concern. He was dominant when he came in to get out of Lester's jam and just didn't get it done last night. Maybe working 3 nights in a row got to him or you just have to give the Rays players credit. Either way I won't waste any time thinking about how Papelbon is goin be.
hopefully your right and there is nothing to be concerned about. i just think hitters are making a lot more contact against pap when they used to swing and miss.

hopefully your right and there is nothing to be concerned about. i just think hitters are making a lot more contact against pap when they used to swing and miss.

I heard that he was trying to pitch to contact sometimes to keep his pitch count low. I don't know if this is true or not but it might explain some of the recent appearances. I just want the 2 K an inning Papelbon.

another three hits and two runs given up by papelbon today:eek:

He is starting to scare me now, hopefully he gets some rest and gets back to normal.

The hitters were just sitting on his fastball, he's having trouble with the splitter, hopefully he gets that straightened out soon.

This public embarrassment has just gotten in his head, he lost his scary-man edge. :p

Youtube.com /watch?v=91WtaKofZoA

This public embarrassment has just gotten in his head, he lost his scary-man edge. :p

Youtube.com/watch?v=91WtaKofZoA

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back