PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers will listen to trade offers for Jonathan Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stewart is a bonafide stud......Wi all the #2s the Pats have squandered....could you really complain if you got a guaranteed stud. Dillon worked out.....but Stewart is younger and more versatile. Use a #2....it's a no brainer.....easiest way to get that balanced offense that got us that last trophy.

I Agree! People don't give enough credit to our running game. We have to keep teams honest & run down/out clock in 4th qtr on 3rd & 4th downs. It almost always comes down to a key run to keep chains moving. Brady gets into 3rd & long for bail out throws when it's easier 2nd & 3 or 4. We need a BONIFIED RB. Man would have luv'd to see Forte here. I said it months ago.
yeah yeah I know about $pending money on beefin up our "D" but Pats can make moves especially with picks and we know some of those have turned out?!

Does anyone even have madden 12 on this forum? that trade would never even work, Ridleys rating in the game is like 77, stewarts is 85. That trade would never go down, I would like stewart, I watched him a lot when he was on oregon but I still think were good with Ridley more then him

:eek: Turn off no cap restriction while you're at it.

BB isn't giving a big contract to a RB.

Perhaps he should. Stewart is a bona fide gun. He's a threat in the rushing and passing games whilst being a decent enough blocker. If you can extend him, you fix the running back issue for years.

Perhaps he should. Stewart is a bona fide gun. He's a threat in the rushing and passing games whilst being a decent enough blocker. If you can extend him, you fix the running back issue for years.
I'm a big Stewart fan as well, but I'd rather of signed Tolbert to a reasonable contract to go with Ridley and Vereen or instead of Tolbert draft a RB late or pick up an URFA, and let Ridley lead the way.

It's not just big money which really doesn't make sense at the RB spot (just ask the Titans) but probably at least a 2nd round pick, which could be the next Gronk or Vollmer thats locked up for 4 years on the cheap.

For all we know, Stewart might be thinking like Mike Wallace and want rediculous $$$ which would explain why the Panthers are trying to trade him. What doesn't make sense is why the Panthers locked up DWILL at huge money over locking up Stewart?

I'm a big Stewart fan as well, but I'd rather of signed Tolbert to a reasonable contract to go with Ridley and Vereen or instead of Tolbert draft a RB late or pick up an URFA, and let Ridley lead the way.

It's not just big money which really doesn't make sense at the RB spot (just ask the Titans) but probably at least a 2nd round pick, which could be the next Gronk or Vollmer thats locked up for 4 years on the cheap.

For all we know, Stewart might be thinking like Mike Wallace and want rediculous $$$ which would explain why the Panthers are trying to trade him. What doesn't make sense is why the Panthers locked up DWILL at huge money over locking up Stewart?
That all depends on whether or not you can successfully project or rate Stewart against second round draft pick value in the upcoming draft. Opportunities like this do not present themselves on a yearly basis. The fact that Stewart has been in a committee should help alleviate the massive contract argument, as he doesn't have the huge numbers the elite RB's do despite possessing all their qualities. Add to that he's 25 and carried over 200 times once in his career.

Compared against other RB's, this screams opportunity to me and has for some time. I can't for one second thing Stewart has leverage to command a huge contract given the numbers.

As for Williams, I'm not sure what the Panthers saw as I've always considered Stewart to be the more talented back. Signing Tolbert is interesting given Cam Newton tends to call his own number a fair bit in the run game.

Last edited:
I'd give a 4th round pick and a 3year/$9M contract. Not much more.

I'd give a 4th round pick and a 3year/$9M contract. Not much more.
My guess is it would take a 2nd, and he'd want 4 or 5 years @ 7-8 Mill per year at least.

I have agreed with this thought the whole time.

However, I am coming around to the idea a bit more as of late.

I wouldn't have a problem from a fan's standpoint trading the 3rd round pick, but the contract would likely be the issue.

Then again, the RB's haven't been getting quite as much this off-season, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad as we think.

May at least be worth a look. A viable running game, a viable WR core, the TE's are set...things could be looking quite good with this move.

I still don't think it happens though. One low level FA signing should take care of the RB core, but then we're 'hoping' that the young kids will work out.

My guess is it would take a 2nd, and he'd want 4 or 5 years @ 7-8 Mill per year at least.

even without giving up the draft pick, nobody would give him $40 million.

I have agreed with this thought the whole time.

However, I am coming around to the idea a bit more as of late.

I wouldn't have a problem from a fan's standpoint trading the 3rd round pick, but the contract would likely be the issue.

Then again, the RB's haven't been getting quite as much this off-season, so maybe it wouldn't be as bad as we think.

May at least be worth a look. A viable running game, a viable WR core, the TE's are set...things could be looking quite good with this move.

I still don't think it happens though. One low level FA signing should take care of the RB core, but then we're 'hoping' that the young kids will work out.
Indirectly supa, this is my point. We're hoping that Ridley & Vereen take the next step. Meanwhile, a proven performer who could be had dirt cheap may be available and you'd gloss over that? The Patriots are stocked with draft picks and are in a position to utilize them to strengthen the team now and in the future.

Whilst I agree that the need for another back sits comfortably below others, I can't help but wonder what the Patriots Offense would look like with a bona fide star in the back field.

Last edited:
even without giving up the draft pick, nobody would give him $40 million.
Well @ 27 years old DWILL got...

7/29/2011: Signed a five-year, $43 million contract. The deal contains $21 million guaranteed, including a $16 million signing bonus and $5 million of Williams' second-year base salary. 2012: $5.25 million, 2013: $4.75 million, 2014: $5.75 million, 2015: $6.75 million

and I think Stewart at 25 is better then DWILL, also the cap is supposed to be going up a lot in 2 years, so you could spread that bonus out.

I think maybe your underestimating how good Stewart is?

Indirectly supa, this is my point. We're hoping that Ridley & Vereen take the next step. Meanwhile, a proven performer who could be had dirt cheap may be available and you'd gloss over that? The Patriots are stocked with draft picks and are in a position to utilize them to strengthen the team now and in the future.

Whilst I agree that the need for another back sits comfortably below others, I can't help but wonder what the Patriots Offense would look like with a bona fide star in the back field.
How did you come up with him being available dirt cheap?

How did you come up with him being available dirt cheap?
How often do you think A grade RB's may (and I say may not can) be had for around a 2nd round pick? I consider that dirt cheap (and I'm talking about the trade not the contract).

I'm personally coming around to the idea, and Ausbacker is certainly correct in stating that the offense would be absolutely incredible; but it's the contract that tends to make me believe it probably won't get done.

the only way I could see this happening is if BB was disappointed in Ridley and Vereen in their first year and saw enough of them to think neither are going to be good feature backs. If not then what was the point in drafting them? It's not like he was unaware that there was a chance BJGE could leave this year.

Well @ 27 years old DWILL got...

7/29/2011: Signed a five-year, $43 million contract. The deal contains $21 million guaranteed, including a $16 million signing bonus and $5 million of Williams' second-year base salary. 2012: $5.25 million, 2013: $4.75 million, 2014: $5.75 million, 2015: $6.75 million

and I think Stewart at 25 is better then DWILL, also the cap is supposed to be going up a lot in 2 years, so you could spread that bonus out.

I think maybe your underestimating how good Stewart is?
That DWill contract has been pretty much universally mocked. He got ridiculously lucky. No RB of this caliber will get that kind of money again for a while. Look at the MBush + BJGE contracts.

That DWill contract has been pretty much universally mocked. He got ridiculously lucky. No RB of this caliber will get that kind of money again for a while. Look at the MBush + BJGE contracts.
MBush and BJGE aren't close to the same caliber RB that Stewart is. Stewart isn't a freak RB like AP or CJ, but he's one tier down. As much of a fan as I am in BJGE he's not close to that, neither is MBush.

Stewart is a bonafide stud......Wi all the #2s the Pats have squandered....could you really complain if you got a guaranteed stud. Dillon worked out.....but Stewart is younger and more versatile. Use a #2....it's a no brainer.....easiest way to get that balanced offense that got us that last trophy.

Compare what a 2nd round draft pick makes to what Stewart will command for salary. The cap matters, and therefore it's not a 1-to-1 comparison.

In order to field a team that has the talent and depth to win Super Bowls, you pretty much have to get a lot of production out of guys who are playing on rookie contracts. The Jets' failure to understand that is why don't have the depth to remain competitive, and the Patriots' understanding of that is a large part of why they're okay with drafting a lot of players, even if they miss on (and subsequently cut) a fair share of them. As long as you have a good share of Gronks, Hernandez's, McCourtys, Chungs, Spikes, BJGEs, Ridleys, Mayos, etc. (from last year), you're in a pretty good position. When you start trading your high-round picks for guys who command $5-10M per in addition to the lost pick, your cap structure can fall apart pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes