PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers scare me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by [B said:
GrogansArmy[/B] ]
I have looked at their wins and losses. Their losses have been very close (mostly: 1, 16, 5) while their wins have been blowouts (mostly).

This is not going to be an easy game and I can't understand why a lot of us seem to be blowing it off as a guaranteed win.

Where did you see that? I actually don't really see much of anyone saying cakewalk, definitely not "a lot". I see some people saying Carolina has played a lot of bad teams (and a few knocks on Cam) then concluding (a) they're not as good as is being billed by the media/some posters here and (B) they think the Patriots will definitely win. Yet anyone not recognizing Carolina is one of the tougher games on our schedule? Those people are probably fooling themselves.

I think the Patriots are the better team and should win. That's not a guarantee, pretty far from it, that's me calling it the way I see it. But if my hubris proves misplaced, at least it gives you something to talk about on the board in the wake of what surely will be another mass suicide watch. :D

I think this game could go either way and a lot depends on how Car chooses to attack and how Soapoaga fits in w/ his 2 more weeks to practice.

If I were Car, I would use the Stanford model on the pats and try and keep TB off the field; run, run, run. So, If TB can hit some 3rd downs early on and move chains - score; that will blow up that strategy. I feel confident Pats get at least one pick off Newton -- more if Car feels Newton has to keep pace w/ TB because they are moving the ball.

If Pats cant keep their own drives moving early.... I think Car can dominate in the trenches and win. Pats DL theoretically could still turn it into another low-scoring slug-fest like Car just won yesterday if Soap fills the Wilfork-Mayo hole; but I am not expecting him to completely fix the run-stopping deficiencies. So I think is more on Brady and O (& more likely for them) to come through than D to stuff the CAR run game.

This game has "coming out party" for the panthers just like the seahawks game did last year.

The panthers will try....no, they will run the ball down patriots throat.

I don't think the panthers can stop gronk, amendola, and dobson, but i don't think the patriots offensive line can hold up long enough to get to them.

Brady needs to get his ice ready because he's going to be on the ground all night long.

They're pretty damn arrogant for a team who hasn't had a winning season since 2008. 10 points on O isn't going to cut it in Foxboro, even with the greatest D of all time that they supposedly have

they are playing in Carolina....

The bye is barely over and already the chicken littles are lining up on the ledge. The teams the Panthers have beat, prior to facing the 49ers, had a combined 9-33 record.

This game has "coming out party" for the panthers just like the seahawks game did last year.

I don't think the panthers can stop gronk, amendola, and dobson, but i don't think the patriots offensive line can hold up long enough to get to them.

Brady needs to get his ice ready because he's going to be on the ground all night long.

Have you considered offering your accolades directly to the Panthers board? They would love to hear it as you sound like a Panthers fan with 1500 posts here. Apparently, from your post

(1) The Panthers will run for 300+ yards, no matter how many defenders are in the box,
(2) Brady will be unable to throw as he will be sacked every time he tries to, so
(3) Panthers 28, Pats 0, and Brady lost for the season after he gets buried in the Carolina turf?

It's a crying shame the 2-7 Pats have to go up against the undefeated Panthers this week. I had hoped this was the week the Pats might turn it all around.:rolleyes: Oh yeah, worst 7-2 team in the history of the NFL. And, in contrast, the Panthers have earned their 6-3 record against the cream of the NFL, like the Giants, Vikings and Rams. Let's pray for a miracle, and that BB hasn't foregone game-planning for the past 8 or 9 days in order to flee from this imminent disaster.

and the patriots defense is nothing compared to the 49ers.

We don't even know if the 55 points the patriots put up were a fluke.

Well so far, it is the anomaly, not the norm for this season. The Panthers are playing great D, and great defense will keep you in games, meanwhile the Pats D have been regressing.

Hey everyone, panther fan returning.

Looking forward to a good week of football talk leading up to a good game on monday. I remember you guys being a good bunch to talk to the last time we played.

It's true, the panthers D hasn't really faced a dynamic pocket passer on brady's level this year. I'm not sure how we're going to defend you. We play a lot of zone coverage on defense and we're showing more of a tendency to blitz. These are two things that brady has made a habit out of exploiting.

But I think our offense will have plenty of opportunities against your D. Cam has been the best passer in the league on 3rd downs this year and we lead the league in time of possession per drive.

I bet the espn people are drooling over having this matchup on monday night. Time for them to fire up the hype machine.

cheers.

The Panthers had their coming out party yesterday. They have earned their legitimacy by beating the 49ers. I think that plays in the Pats' favor. A very tough, physical conference battle against one of the elite of the conference followed up by a night game against an elite team from the other conference coming off the bye. Typically, it would say that Carolina is more likely for a let down than really stepping up and showing the world they are elite.

I will say there are things that make the Panthers a bad match up for the Pats. I don't know if their running game is one of them. They are above average in rushing, but not elite. In fact, the Pats have more YPC and YPG on the ground than the Panthers.

Looking forward to a good week of football talk leading up to a good game on monday. I remember you guys being a good bunch to talk to the last time we played.

It's true, the panthers D hasn't really faced a dynamic pocket passer on brady's level this year. I'm not sure how we're going to defend you. We play a lot of zone coverage on defense and we're showing more of a tendency to blitz. These are two things that brady has made a habit out of exploiting.

But I think our offense will have plenty of opportunities against your D. Cam has been the best passer in the league on 3rd downs this year and we lead the league in time of possession per drive.

cheers.

Welcome back to the board. I'd love to hear your thoughts on your team, offense and defense, as a fan who has watched all the games - what the Panthers have done well and not so well this year. I have watched a little of the Panthers, but don't claim to know that much about them. The Pats fans here are usually pretty good at pointing out the good and the bad with the team, and what has gone on in the course of this season.

Again, welcome back.

The Panthers had their coming out party yesterday. They have earned their legitimacy by beating the 49ers. I think that plays in the Pats' favor. A very tough, physical conference battle against one of the elite of the conference followed up by a night game against an elite team from the other conference coming off the bye. Typically, it would say that Carolina is more likely for a let down than really stepping up and showing the world they are elite.

I will say there are things that make the Panthers a bad match up for the Pats. I don't know if their running game is one of them. They are above average in rushing, but not elite. In fact, the Pats have more YPC and YPG on the ground than the Panthers.

I agree with this. Panthers in the past have gotten a little full of themselves so I'm hoping for a let down. I'll be there Monday Night

Have you considered offering your accolades directly to the Panthers board? They would love to hear it as you sound like a Panthers fan with 1500 posts here. Apparently, from your post

(1) The Panthers will run for 300+ yards, no matter how many defenders are in the box,
(2) Brady will be unable to throw as he will be sacked every time he tries to, so
(3) Panthers 28, Pats 0, and Brady lost for the season after he gets buried in the Carolina turf?

It's a crying shame the 2-7 Pats have to go up against the undefeated Panthers this week. I had hoped this was the week the Pats might turn it all around.:rolleyes: Oh yeah, worst 7-2 team in the history of the NFL. And, in contrast, the Panthers have earned their 6-3 record against the cream of the NFL, like the Giants, Vikings and Rams. Let's pray for a miracle, and that BB hasn't foregone game-planning for the past 8 or 9 days in order to flee from this imminent disaster.

I sound like someone who understands the blueprint to stopping the patriots. I don't think the pats can run on the panthers and i think the line will have trouble protect brady.

I bet the espn people are drooling over having this matchup on monday night. Time for them to fire up the hype machine.

cheers.

Welcome.

I don't know much about the Panthers' defense except that they have a big and strong d-line. If they are mostly in zone scheme though, that isn't good playing against Brady. Brady picks apart zone coverages with ease. He struggles more against man coverage.

If the Panthers are going to stay in a zone coverage, they MUST pressure Brady. That is the only way this won't turn into a blood bath. Carolina is pretty good at getting to the QB, but it isn't their strongest suit. They will have to get to Brady (not sack him, but pressure him) with a four man rush.

This post stuck out at me

Pats offense:
-bad passing team
-below average running team
-dobson's nothing
-none of their WR can exploit our secondary
-good o-line, but we have a GREAT DLine
-we have the best cover LB in the league

uh they average the same amount of yards on the ground per game than the panthers do

I am certainly not scared of the Panthers. I feel we are a better team than the Panthers and should be ready to go after the bye. The Panthers D could definitely cause problems for our offense however and the security blanket of a strong defense may be absent with all the injuries.

I'm looking at the list of QB's the Panthers have beaten, and they're either horrific, or the team itself has already given up on the season.

the panthers are frauds.

Welcome back to the board. I'd love to hear your thoughts on your team, offense and defense, as a fan who has watched all the games - what the Panthers have done well and not so well this year. I have watched a little of the Panthers, but don't claim to know that much about them. The Pats fans here are usually pretty good at pointing out the good and the bad with the team, and what has gone on in the course of this season.

Again, welcome back.

Our biggest strengths on offense:

1. Cam. He's really started to reach a comfort level making the tough throws. He seems to live for 3rd downs where he passes for over 10 yards per attempt and has a league-leading quarterback rating on that down. The result has been tons of 10+ play drives and gobbling up clock. He runs on designed runs less now than ever. Our lone touchdown yesterday was a counter play where we used cam as a decoy in a triple-option formation.

2. Mike Tolbert. He gets the tough yards on short yardage situations like you'd expect, but you wouldn't expect the way he can catch the ball and change directions. And then once he runs over you, like commentators like to say, 'it's like trying to tackle a fire hydrant'.

Weaknesses on offense:

1. Offensive line. You'd never know it, but our traditional running game from an I formation/single back has been mediocre at best. We've been decimated at guard. After numerous injuries, we brought back Travelle Wharton off the street and he's been serviceable. We converted a backup DT to right guard in Nate Chandler. And another injury at RG forced us to convert Sione Fua, a DT that we cut earlier in the year to guard to be his backup.

Byron Bell at right tackle is an undrafted guy that has started for us for a couple of years, but he's been really weak against good edge rushers. (gave up 4 sacks to Mario Williams)

2. Receivers. Steve Smith is basically a 5'-9" possession receiver now. He's not going to take the top off any defense. The crew behind him all have incomplete developments as receivers to say the least. All of them have had a big problem with drops this year at times, including Smith.

Biggest strength on Defense:

1. Defensive Tackles: Under rivera, this has been a weakness. But the rotation of our rookies Lotulelei and Short have made our interior line play 10 times better than before. Quarterbacks are finding that they're not getting a good pocket to step up into. Opposing interior linemen can't get to the second level, and as a result our linebackers can run free.

2. Linebackers: aided by the DTs in front of them, they are flying around to the football. And in passing, there may not be any better linebackers in coverage than Kuechly and Davis.

Biggest weakness on defense:

1. Corners: Another area that was roiled by injury, this crew that is lacking in overall talent has come together and performed admirably. However, they lack the top end speed to cover deep shots. If brady can get some time, there is big play potential in this secondary. Our safeties are aggressive and can be caught out of position when it comes time for them to provide help over the top.

2. Zone defense: Like I said, we play a lot of zone. An experienced QB like Brady should be able to move the ball if he knows where to find the soft spots. Often times we leave Kuechly alone to cover the middle of the field, and he can't always shut down the elite tight ends up the seam.

Special teams may play a role. They've been playing great for the most part. Kick and punt coverage has been good. Gano takes kickoffs out of the end zone 3/4s of the time. Ted Ginn and our punter, Nortman, have flipped the field position game numerous times. The thing that keeps happening to us, though, is having a punt hit one of our punt return blockers for a muff. I think we've lost 3 of those this year.

cheers.

I'm actually really excited for this game. The panthers are one of those teams that i dont hate, and have no real animosity towards since they are an NFC team.

Their style is pretty fun to watch so having this be a prime time game should make for some exciting football.

This kind of feels like a potential superbowl preview.

This post stuck out at me

Pats offense:
-bad passing team
-below average running team
-dobson's nothing
-none of their WR can exploit our secondary
-good o-line, but we have a GREAT DLine
-we have the best cover LB in the league

uh they average the same amount of yards on the ground per game than the panthers do

Pats Avg more YPG running...

I'm looking at the list of QB's the Panthers have beaten, and they're either horrific, or the team itself has already given up on the season.

the panthers are frauds.

They have faced a few good QBs (Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, and Eli Manning), but even then they had some favorable situations (like no Julio Jones or Roddy White). Even yesterday, they faced Kaepernick (who the rest of the league seems to have caught up with) without Vernon Davis for most of the game.

I don't think they are frauds. I don't think they are as good as their box scores indicate though either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes