PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers scare me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised no one has posted pic yet of the famous "'its a trap" pic for the 'Trap Game' weekend.

...this game can certainly be considered a trap game with Denver on the schedule the following week and with a potential bye week berth tiebreaker on the line.

The Panthers defense is good and worrysome,but the players better not get involved in looking at Manning vs. Brady Denver vs. NE too early.

Yall done sure could ave used me - could have told you some stuff - could have won you some games - maybe another super bowl - gettin old here now - didnt want to pay me then did you?

Dear Julius--

We would have loved to have had the opportunity to see you in Foxborough wearing the flying Elvis.

However, there's this little thing that most of the other NFL teams don't pay much attention to called the salary cap. We kind of feel that it's important to our past, current, and future success around here...

Sincerely--Pats fans

PS--We are paying some young, first round pick named Chandler Jones a base salary this year of 761,000 dollars. He is currently on pace to record FIFTEEN sacks for us.

You are costing about 10 million plus in base salary this year, and on pace to record FOUR sacks. Call us back when you can show that kind of value and production. We'd still love to have you on the cheap in a couple of yrs down the line.

If the Patriots OL gives TFB time in the pocket, IMHO the Panthers are the ones who should be concerned. I see the Patriots O as on the cusp of being in high gear. The weapons have finally fallen into place. Gronk's rust is almost faded and confidence has returned. DA's rust is markedly fading and it looked like his confidence has returned. Dobson looks like he has put it into the next gear. We finally! have a real passing threat out of the backfield that also brings the added wrinkle of running on third down in seemingly passing situations (think of how much Woodhead could provide on third down/how much we have missed that? Then consider that has been all but completely missing until this coming Sunday). And both KT and JE have proven in multiple games to be threats to get open and solidly produce. And to very nicely compliment the passing game, BB/JM finally!! appear to be making Ridley the clear main back with Blount being used as the change up at the right time and best use of his style. Ridley is just too good/too productive to not get the ball in his hands approaching 20 times a game.
The pieces are now here, the offense's high gear is about at hand. How high is that high gear? IMHO it comes down to (A) BB/JM using the parts of the puzzle correctly, (B) TFB getting into a rhythm, (C) the OL playing consistent. C is what has real concern for me yet I have great faith in Dante.

In terms of how "scary" good the Panthers D is? I think the jury is still out on "scary". That D has played consistent no doubt, and they owe no apologies for their very solid work. But since week 1 against Seattle that D has faced: SF, Atl, Minn, TB, STL, AZ, Giants, Buff. In terms of scoring offenses that list contains 2 teams in the top 16/top half (none near top 5). 1 team is Minnesota who arguably is among the weakest offenses to be ranked in the top 16. The other team, SF, probably is another to deserve that honor ((SF in terms of real offensive scoring adjustments probably drops below 16 -- and that doesn't even take into consideration that their defense has been providing a lot of very good field positions that virtually guaranteed at least a 3).

This is a good chance for both the Patriots and the Panthers to make a statement. With the Panthers playing a top offense, if they perform as they have been for most of the season and keep the Patriots to below 17, it sends a clear message that their defense is to be considered scary. For the Patriots, they have the opportunity to show that TFB/the new Patriot passing game is unchanged in terms of the potency expected by scoring 24 or more.

Bottom line, the Patriots' offense is about to be put back on the map starting this Sunday. Let's hope I'm right.....

I have looked at their wins and losses. Their losses have been very close (mostly: 1, 16, 5) while their wins have been blowouts (mostly).

This is not going to be an easy game and I can't understand why a lot of us seem to be blowing it off as a guaranteed win.

Where did you see that? I actually don't really see much of anyone saying cakewalk, definitely not "a lot". I see some people saying Carolina has played a lot of bad teams (and a few knocks on Cam) then concluding (a) they're not as good as is being billed by the media/some posters here and (B) they think the Patriots will definitely win. Yet anyone not recognizing Carolina is one of the tougher games on our schedule? Those people are probably fooling themselves.

I think the Patriots are the better team and should win. That's not a guarantee, pretty far from it, that's me calling it the way I see it. But if my hubris proves misplaced, at least it gives you something to talk about on the board in the wake of what surely will be another mass suicide watch. :D

They have a good front 7 and a secondary thats been pretty cohesive. You should note that San Francisco is a probably the worst passing team in football and with VD out they're even worse than that. They are pretty one dimensional and Carolina didn't have to sell out to stop the run by any means. They can and will be exposed by a team that picks up the blitz and can move the ball through the air. They're built similarly to seattle except they have more talent in the front 7 and way less in the secondary. On offense they have more talent at the skill positions but the offensive lines and QB play are a wash.

I usually think of the Pats as being an excellent team at picking up the blitz. But one casualty of the RB youth movement seems to have been blocking, and I'm not sure blitz adjustments can be relied on yet with the new receivers.

Meanwhile, I won't touch your Newton/Brady comparison.

BB has been given almost two weeks to scheme for this team... that is usually very dangerous for the opponent.

Pats under BB are 10-3 after the bye... so put it together, always concerned, but not "ascared"...

I am surprised no one has posted pic yet of the famous "'its a trap" pic for the 'Trap Game' weekend.

...this game can certainly be considered a trap game with Denver on the schedule the following week and with a potential bye week berth tiebreaker on the line.

The Panthers defense is good and worrysome,but the players better not get involved in looking at Manning vs. Brady Denver vs. NE too early.

I think this year is largely devoid of the possibility of the 'trap game' phenomenon. The Patriots have had to fight scratch claw tooth&nail for its victories (at least many of them), just scraping by, just holding on. And unlike recent years where enough of the victories were easy, where stats were mostly real good, where accolades were piled on, where the players were fed they are "Ohhh, Patriots!", this year they have frequently had to explain themselves after victories. This season is very interesting and odd from the standpoint of, so far, it's been a modest fall from grace for the Patriots...... except in the win column. ((On a side note, let's hope that scratch-fight-claw ability being hones will pay dividends come playoff time)).

I think what makes 'trap game' also not applicable here is this week is a bye. BB appears to have an outstanding performance in focusing the team coming out of a bye.

Given those two items I don't think there is even a slight chance they are looking past Carolina (not to mention Carolina has rightfully earned the respect of their opponents). The fall from grace has been big enough that even this board has had few mentions of the marquee/Denver game coming up except to say things like the Patriots don't have much chance to win.

Last year in 2012, we played 5 of the top 10 Ds...Look what happened...

- 31 points vs Broncos (2nd ranked D overall) - win
- 34 points vs 49ers (3rd overall) - loss (1 or 2 turnovers affected by rain)
- 42 points vs Texans (7th overall) - win
- 49 points vs Jets (8th overall) - win
- 20* points vs Seahawks (4th overall) - loss

Our offense is obviously different, however I believe that with Brady's growing chemistry with Dobson (finally an downfield threat/X receiver), a healthy Amendola, Gronk's dominance, and an increased roll for Vereen, we can be just as good. The attention of the opposing D around Gronk helps out Dobson so much.

This game reminds me of the Texans last season. Hot team with great defense and suspect offense. The Panthers are the flavor of the month. Let's see how they do in the featured game of the week.

Nothing for nothing, but they seem like a bunch of arrogant A holes to me. A few good seasons sure turns fans into ****s. They already have their plans for throwing it in Pats fans faces "when" they win. It aint over till the fat lady sings. Sure we might lose, but we've seen that thinking get turned on it's head this season. Crying about losing next week sure isn't helping. I personally think we will win.

I respect them massively, but when I look at their schedule it really makes their stats look a lot less impressive.

Bills, Giants (very out of form at the time), Cardinals, Vikings, Rams, Buccs and the injury riddled Falcons....and they just faced San Fran who are heavily dependant on their ground game and lacked their best receiving threat for more than half the game.

They should be massively respected as they have a very good ground game and their defence shouldn't be shot down because of their opponents...but this is the first real test. We just came off of a blow out win and will have our shut down corner and our second string RB back...and he's arguably the most dynamic player on the field.

Nothing for nothing, but they seem like a bunch of arrogant A holes to me. A few good seasons sure turns fans into ****s. They already have their plans for throwing it in Pats fans faces "when" they win. It aint over till the fat lady sings. Sure we might lose, but we've seen that thinking get turned on it's head this season. Crying about losing next week sure isn't helping. I personally think we will win.

Ohh they are def ass clowns. Hilarious that they dog the AFC east, but forget they lost to the Bills....

With that said, our "representation" their as been equally embarrassing..

Very well said. Perhaps I read too many R.A Salvatore books in my youth! And yeah.. if no one gets that, thats cool. I'm a nerd.

Bivrip....

Nothing for nothing, but they seem like a bunch of arrogant A holes to me. A few good seasons sure turns fans into ****s.

Theyre probability Duke Blue Devil fans too. So, they do have experience at being doosh bags.

They already have their plans for throwing it in Pats fans faces "when" they win.

Southerners are still butt hurt about the civil war. They know where all the Yankees live or where to find one at times like this.

It aint over till the fat lady sings. Sure we might lose, but we've seen that thinking get turned on it's head this season. Crying about losing next week sure isn't helping. I personally think we will win.

The Pats are going to lose more games this season. 12 - 4 is how it likely plays out. This is Carolinas Super Bowl. So, it would not surprise me if NE lost.

Their D line is going to be tough. However, BB has a fantastic record coming off the bye. I'm slightly more worried about playing Denver on a short week and the repurcussions that game might have for home field, etc.

The pats are not out of the woods yet from their first half struggles. One game against Pitt does not solve anything, but things are looking a bit more promising.

I usually think of the Pats as being an excellent team at picking up the blitz. But one casualty of the RB youth movement seems to have been blocking, and I'm not sure blitz adjustments can be relied on yet with the new receivers.

Meanwhile, I won't touch your Newton/Brady comparison.

Vereen is a very good blocker. That should help.

It's a little early for the "few good seasons" attitude. The Panthers have not broken .500 with Cam Newton, last saw .500 in 2009 and were last better than .500 in 2008. At 6-3, with 2 games against the Saints, and games against the Dolphins (which, despite the problems just beat a good defense in the Bengals), the Jets (a surprise which beat the Saints and also boasts a good defense), and Pats to go, now may not be the time to talk too much smack. If things turn badly, .500 and out of the playoffs may not be out of the question.

Celebrate a good win over the Niners. The Panthers earned it. And the team has a talented defense. However, the passing defense is inflated by virtue of having never played against the better passing QBs. Ryan is a good QB, but he relies on his receivers and in the last three games is left with his 3 or 4 option (thus 4 picks and a 47 QBR against the great Cards defense). Kaepernick is not a great passing QB (after blistering the lousy GB defense, he has thrown for more than 200 yards in exactly 1 game this season and had the same type of game he had yesterday when he played the mediocre Colts defense).

The Panthers have a defense but little offense (at present, they look more like the mid-2000s Bears than the 2003 Panthers). The Pats will likely focus on defending the run and let Cam Newton try to win the game through the air. The Pats have as many sacks and 1 fewer INT, having played 1 less game on the schedule. And they may want to take note that the Steelers, the team with a better passing defense (4th in the NFL) than the Panthers statistically, just got shredded by the Pats for 4 TDs and 432 yards. With two weeks to prepare for the Panthers, if that is a sign of things to come, and the beginning of the Pats finding a groove with all the pieces back on offense, it isn't the Pats fans who should be scared right now.

They're pretty damn arrogant for a team who hasn't had a winning season since 2008. 10 points on O isn't going to cut it in Foxboro, even with the greatest D of all time that they supposedly have

It is always kind of sad to go to an opposing website of a team that has sucked for years and is finally having a good year. They get soo excited and start talking crap before the game is over, or even started. Wait until the game has been played, act like you have been there before. They usually just end up looking silly.

Consider this. On offense I'd prepare to have a jumbo 2 TE offense with Svitek if healthy as the extra TE for pass protection and power run formation. If the secondary is as relatively weak as claimed the extra second will give TFB the time to find the open man without resorting to extra WR formations. Start whichever RB is the best at pass protection, with his emphasis being countering pressure up the middle. As the game goes on and the pass rush tires, then go to the extra wideout to increase the point margin.

On D, agree with the strategy of stop the run via Hawaiians and Spike and force Newton to throw. The deeper the better.

They're pretty damn arrogant for a team who hasn't had a winning season since 2008. 10 points on O isn't going to cut it in Foxboro, even with the greatest D of all time that they supposedly have

But the game isn't in Foxboro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing