Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Hurney denies trade talks on Peppers - NFC South - ESPN

Hurney denies trade talks on Peppers
March 16, 2009 7:20 PM

Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney has issued a statement denying there have been any trade talks with the New England Patriots about defensive end Julius Peppers.

However, don't write this scenario off. As Hurney points out in his statement, Peppers is a non-exclusive-rights franchise player and that means he and his agent can pursue potential contract talks with other teams. Something still could happen on this before the draft, but it's a pretty fair guess the Panthers would like to get more than a second-round pick in exchange for Peppers. It's possible another team could step in with an offer the Panthers like better.

We've got more than a month until the draft, so stay tuned on this situation.

Doesn't mean that Peppers agent isnt talking to the Pats.

Re: ESPN: Panthers GM Hurney denies trade talks on Peppers

Carolina isnt allowed to admit discussions on this issue as Peppers hasnt signed the tender.

Carolina isnt allowed to admit discussions on this issue as Peppers hasnt signed the tender.

Yeah I'd assume he's just saying what he's legally bound to.

Also John Clayton says he's skeptical, so get your Peppers jersey.

Last edited:

Peppers Agent is probably making a contract deal with the Patriots as we speak(speculation) or its probably done. If we hear something about Peppers signing the tag in the next few days then there is something going down!!Jest fans will cry :scream: as the whole football league will be bowing to BB :youtheman:

So let it be written so let it be done

Why, if there were no talks, would the Carolina gl want to reveal this. Let other teams think the patriots are in play. Furthermore, the isn't a case of denying rumors to appease peppers; that ship has already sailed.

IMO this validates the rumor to some extent....well if the rumor is true this statement would make sese too.

In my theory the Patriots and Peppers have agreed to a deal...and the reason this isn't done is because we still need to satisfy the Panther's hence Carucci's rumor says we will discuss at the owners meetings and hope to get something done between then and the draft.....This statement by the Panthers is to try to up their hand but as we get close to the draft they will want their pick this year so we will get some hand back...as the Panthers just pointed out they cant find the trade while he is unsigned Peppers has too so my timeline makes sense. Hopefully we can satisfy the Panthers and they dont ask for too much....stay tuned kids

Last edited:

I hope all of this goes our way. Our defense would be so super that Goodell and polian would somehow make a new rule to prevent us from slamming Qb's to the ground, meaning the mannings

IMO this validates the rumor to some extent....well if the rumor is true this statement would make sese too.

In my theory the Patriots and Peppers have agreed to a deal...and the reason this isn't done is because we still need to satisfy the Panther's hence Carucci's rumor says we will discuss at the owners meetings and hope to get something done between then and the draft.....This statement by the Panthers is to try to up their hand but as we get close to the draft they will want their pick this year so we will get some hand back...stay tuned kids

This whole day ive been trying to calm myself because i would really want Peppers to come here but, you never know what will happen. We need to wait and see. Remember Patience is a virtue!

You have something with this theory!! But do you think its weird how Vic says its only phase 2??

Exactly why would they

Whether the story is true or not, no one is going to admit it is. Whatever you hear out of either side should be taken with a grain of salt.

Why did Clinton saying "I. did not. have. sexual. relations. with. that. woman."

Just pop into my head?

Last edited:

He can say what he wants but when the clock stops and the chicken dont notice someones gotta be accountable. Its just a smokescreen. Like calling mom from the fridge before stepping out to drink. Dont worry Peppers is ours.

If/when he comes here, I am going to get his jersey for my birthday present [luckily my birthday is in april :D]

My take is the Pats are negotiating with Peppers agent now and will reach a deal before the meetings that take place in a week, then during those meetings or possibly even before then the Pats will work out compensation directly with the Panthers and the trade will be finalized.

Not counting money for signing draft picks and injury replacements during the season, the Patriots are about a happy meal under the salary cap. To get Peppers even a moderate linebacker salary, the Patriots would probably have to restructure pretty much every major contract they have on the books.

It's possible that some move is in the works. On the other hand, not every denial is a lie. Either way, just read the message boards from other teams and enjoy the responses. That's half the fun of the offseason.

If/when he comes here, I am going to get his jersey for my birthday present [luckily my birthday is in april :D]

so is mine :D i have my refund check coming in at the end of march so i will def be buying a Peppers jersey is he does come to New England :D

IMO this validates the rumor to some extent....

Agreed........

Anyone think Jarvis is gone? I just can't see this without dumping some salary somewhere. Then again, that uncapped year probably allows for some fairly creative financial planning ;)

Last edited:
Not counting money for signing draft picks and injury replacements during the season, the Patriots are about a happy meal under the salary cap.

This has me confused. How the hell can they sign him, when they have no money? Oh well, Im going over to the Jets board for a laugh. They must be dying by now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes