PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Panthers, Delhomme agree to extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Carolina is bordering on desperation in an attempt to free up cap money due to Peppers being franchised. $20 million guaranteed to Delhomme in order to free up less than $3 million cap dollars.

Alternate link for those boycotting espn: Charlotte Observer: Panthers extend Delhomme

haha wow. If that bum can get that much, how much is Cassel going to get.

As I said in another thread, if the Panthers are dumb enough to do this deal for Delhomme, the Patriots could get Peppers for nothing. Maybe those reports that the Panthers only want a second rounder for Peppers and don't want a first are true since they are stupid enough to give a QB in his mid30s, a year removed from Tommy John surgery, had an average year last year, and almost single-handily lost their playoff game last year a huge deal as if he was 30, in perfect health, and a top 5-10 QB.

I'm sure Cassel is happy now that he hasn't worked out a long term deal. I mean the guarantee money is more than what people have said Cassel would get and Cassel has far more upside than Delhomme.

The new deal is worth $42.5 million over 5 years and includes $20 million in guaranteed money, a source said.

Source: Carolina Panthers give Jake Delhomme 5-year extension - ESPN
At my age, there isn't much that stops me in my tracks anymore. This, however, is stunningly dumb. My best friend lives in Charlotte (he's a transplant since the '70s from our home town here). He's a life-long Pats' fan, but, understandably, adopted the Panthers as his #1 team when the franchise started. I don't have the heart to call him and tell him what a mistake this was. Something tells me, I don't have to.

You can say goodbye to the Sanchez to Seahawks rumors then. That is huge money + signing bonus for Delhomme. They can't afford to pay a backup QB top 4 rookie money.

How many superbowl apperances does Cassel have? Dude couldnt even lead his team to the playoffs. I'm going to be laughing so hard when he falls on his face in KC and never gets a starting gig again. Boom....... roasted.

How many superbowl apperances does Cassel have? Dude couldnt even lead his team to the playoffs. I'm going to be laughing so hard when he falls on his face in KC and never gets a starting gig again. Boom....... roasted.

I was thinking that was harsh, but then I saw who posted it :)

John Fox is Dumb. Everyone in Carolina wants a different QN than Delhomme
except for him. For some reason he will sink or swim with Jake. I believe in 2 yrs both of them are out of Carolina. They will do nothing this year and miss the playoffs with or without Peppers.

That is something I really didn't want to see. I don't know how much this frees up in cap but it does look like Carolina is really desperate to pay Peppers' tag. How the hell do you pay Delhomme that kind of money? Specifically to a guy who is aging and threw 5 picks at home playoff game to an average defense (Arizona). Talk about teams not getting it. Carolina should have traded Cassel for Peppers straight up.

Last edited:
since they are stupid enough to give a QB in his mid30s, ....a huge deal as if he was 30, in perfect health, and a top 5-10 QB.

5 years, 42M, 20M guaranteed isn't top 5-10 money. Its bottom of the barrel starter money. Top 10 guys make twice this. Manning makes 3 times. Seriously, good starters are getting 12-15M a year.

Last edited:
Man- if he was a decent starter-caliber QB, this would be a good contract. But he sucks, so it isn't.

And how did your Jets do last year...Dink?

5 years, 42M, 20M guaranteed isn't top 5-10 money. Its bottom of the barrel starter money. Top 10 guys make twice this. Manning makes 3 times. Seriously, good starters are getting 12-15M a year.

First, it isn't the overall deal. It is the guaranteed money and money in the first three years that you judge a deal . $20 million in guarantees is top tier money.

Second, name one QB who is making $15 million a year. Manning's deal , which I am still the biggest among QBs, was for $14.17 a year which is not three times as much as Delhome who is averaging $8.5 million a year with his new deal. In fact that isn't even twice as much. And if Manning still has the best deal for a QB, no one else is making twice as much as Delhomme either.

Third, as far as I can telll the only QBs who are currently playing who are in the range you talk about are Manning, Roethlisberger ($12.75 mil per year), and Carson Palmer ($13.2 million). Even Brady is only making $10 million a year. Aaron Rodgers got what was considered a blockbuster deal last year at $10.8 mill per year with the same amount guaranteed as Delhomme. Tony Romo averages $9.6 million a year. McNabb makes $9.58 million per year. I think Matt Ryan is more, but it has been publicized that his deal is much less than advertised. So I am not sure what his average is although the inflated number puts him at $12 million. I still don't think you can find more than 4-5 QBs who average over $12 million even with bogus years included.

So I think you are way off on your numbers. I bet that if you look at the per year average and the guaranteed money, Delhomme probably ends up in the lower part of the top ten in compensation.

Last edited:
First, it isn't the overall deal. It is the guaranteed money and money in the first three years that you judge a deal . $20 million in guarantees is top tier money.

Second, name one QB who is making $15 million a year. .

Brady's cap hit is 15M. So is Cassel's. Manning's is almost 22M. Roethlisburger is 13.3. Rodgers is getting 13+. Favre made 12M in salary alone last year, so his earnings counting the divided bonus were in the 15M range. Rivers, Cutler and Manning 2 will all sign for deals in excess of 15M a year in the next 2 years.

Second, name one QB who is making $15 million a year. Manning's deal , which I am still the biggest among QBs, was for $14.17 a year which is not three times as much as Delhome who is averaging $8.5 million a year with his new deal. In fact that isn't even twice as much. And if Manning still has the best deal for a QB, no one else is making twice as much as Delhomme either.

Third, as far as I can telll the only QBs who are currently playing who are in the range you talk about are Manning, Roethlisberger ($12.75 mil per year), and Carson Palmer ($13.2 million). Even Brady is only making $10 million a year. Aaron Rodgers got what was considered a blockbuster deal last year at $10.8 mill per year with the same amount guaranteed as Delhomme. Tony Romo averages $9.6 million a year. McNabb makes $9.58 million per year. I think Matt Ryan is more, but it has been publicized that his deal is much less than advertised. So I am not sure what his average is although the inflated number puts him at $12 million. I still don't think you can find more than 4-5 QBs who average over $12 million even with bogus years included.

So I think you are way off on your numbers. I bet that if you look at the per year average and the guaranteed money, Delhomme probably ends up in the lower part of the top ten in compensation.

Not at the position.

Eli got $20M+ guaranteed on his rookie deal. He'll get $40M guaranteed on his new deal later this year.

Manning got $34.5M in signing bonus and $45M over his first three in a deal signed in 2004.

Last edited:
I have a soft spot in my heart for the Panthers, living in North Carolina, and I know how much this hurts their fans to the core. Cats fans DESPISE Delhomme, as shown by the constant barrage of boos shouted throughout the game. I don't think that franchise will never make it past the mark of mediocrity with a numbskull like Delhomme at the helm.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Panthers, living in North Carolina, and I know how much this hurts their fans to the core. Cats fans DESPISE Delhomme, as shown by the constant barrage of boos shouted throughout the game. I don't think that franchise will never make it past the mark of mediocrity with a numbskull like Delhomme at the helm.

I kind of agree. I think delholme is a terrible qb who just happens to have an elite WR keeping him looking average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back