PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Palmer's doctor: "knee injury potentially career-ending," "worse than expected"

Status
Not open for further replies.
it was too close to be called late and that isn't really my point. You don't hit QB's that way period. I mean you weigh 300lbs and dive right at a knee, then hold on to it, what is supposed to happen?

Why was he able to have surgery so soon when Rodney had to wait 6 weeks?

Best wishes to Carson!

PATSummerallofthe80s said:
You don't think any of these people who agree it wasn't intentional, haven't looked at the replay?
I think some of the people who say it wasn't intentional say so publicly but privately believe otherwise. But since it can't be proved and the resulting controversy would get truly ugly for the NFL they say nothing.

Last edited:
BradyisGod said:
Yep, he must have forgotten to use his Defensive Lineman ESP, or put on his "I can see 360 degrees" helmet.

OK, there is a rule that a defender can't hit a quarterback if he takes two steps to get to him after the ball is gone. Kimo was on the ground, so there is no two step rule to apply, but he still shouldn't have all day to continue his rollup and manhandling with his hands on Palmer's leg. From what I saw, he was doing that stuff late and long enough that he could have looked up to see where the ball was. I'd bet some new legislation comes out of this.

Bill's Girl said:
Why was he able to have surgery so soon when Rodney had to wait 6 weeks?

Best wishes to Carson!
Very good question, I wondered the same thing. Didn't Rodney have to wait for the swelling to go down?

Bella*chick said:
Very good question, I wondered the same thing. Didn't Rodney have to wait for the swelling to go down?

Was Rodney just an ACL?

Two possibilities based on my limited medical knowledge.

1. Palmer's injury was not a momentum based injury, which can cause more serious surrounding tissue trauma and swelling.

2. Palmer's injury was so signficant in scope and severity that the surgeons couldn't afford to wait for swelling to subside.

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:
Why don't they just give him a bionic leg? I remember back in the 1970s, there was this guy, Steve Austin, who was in a plane crash, and they gave him like a bionic eye and a bionic arm and bionic legs.

I would have to think they've got even better technology by now, don't they?

Yeah, and remember the episode that guest starred --- I think it was --- Larry Csonka, Bubba Smith, **** Butkus, or maybe one or two of those?

Meanwhile, when Palmer signed his recent extension, did he get ANOTHER signing bonus? I feel bad for him and the Bengals about the injury. In a coldly practical way, it would help keep the Patriots from having one more up-and-coming team to worry about. (Meaning if Cinci had a bunch of dead money they had to count towards their cap each year.) Still not the way I like to see things happen.... Get well Carson!

Last edited:
If I'm KiVo, I at least offer to help him through rehab

shakadave said:
Meanwhile, when Palmer signed his recent extension, did he get ANOTHER signing bonus?
Yes, 15M, though it won't actually be paid until next month.

JoeSixPat said:
Was Rodney just an ACL?

Two possibilities based on my limited medical knowledge.

1. Palmer's injury was not a momentum based injury, which can cause more serious surrounding tissue trauma and swelling.

2. Palmer's injury was so signficant in scope and severity that the surgeons couldn't afford to wait for swelling to subside.

OK. Here is my opinion based on my own experience with an ACL tear (complicated by a damaged meniscus) and with was has been published in the news about Rodney.

I don't believe that Rodney's injury was as bad as reported (3 full tears). I say this because Rodney waited for the surgery, not because of the swelling, but because he started rehabbing before the surgery. In fact, one of the reports said that Rodney even attempted to RUN. Now, there is NO WAY Rodney could be doing rehab, never mind attempting to run, if all 3 ligaments in his knee were torn. This is why I believe that it was probably only a FULL ACL tear with slight tears to the MCL and PCL. This would allow Rodney to bear weight on his knee and rehab, but would still require the surgery.

With all the advances in arthroscopic knee surgery (they no longer have to open your knee up to do an ACL repair, it can be done arthroscopically), they actually start you rehabbing PRIOR to the surgery UNLESS your are incapable of bearing weight on your injured leg. And, that is what I believe the case is with Palmer. Because he was incapable of bearing weight on his knee, they did the surgery immediately. This will help lessen the amount of muscle atrophy that he will suffer because there isn't a long wait between the surgery and the rehab.

DaBruinz said:
OK. Here is my opinion based on my own experience with an ACL tear (complicated by a damaged meniscus) and with was has been published in the news about Rodney.

I don't believe that Rodney's injury was as bad as reported (3 full tears). I say this because Rodney waited for the surgery, not because of the swelling, but because he started rehabbing before the surgery. In fact, one of the reports said that Rodney even attempted to RUN. Now, there is NO WAY Rodney could be doing rehab, never mind attempting to run, if all 3 ligaments in his knee were torn. This is why I believe that it was probably only a FULL ACL tear with slight tears to the MCL and PCL. This would allow Rodney to bear weight on his knee and rehab, but would still require the surgery.

With all the advances in arthroscopic knee surgery (they no longer have to open your knee up to do an ACL repair, it can be done arthroscopically), they actually start you rehabbing PRIOR to the surgery UNLESS your are incapable of bearing weight on your injured leg. And, that is what I believe the case is with Palmer. Because he was incapable of bearing weight on his knee, they did the surgery immediately. This will help lessen the amount of muscle atrophy that he will suffer because there isn't a long wait between the surgery and the rehab.

Now that makes sense, and it is actually kind of an upper regarding Rodney's injury, although a definite downer about Carson. Thanks for the explanation!

DaBruinz said:

Thanks everyone! I'm not a doctor.....

KDPpatsfan said:
I don't doubt that he feels badly but if you watch the play again ( I taped the game) he is not blocked into him..he DIVES into his knee. IMO that is a dirty hit. I doubt he intended to cripple the guy but nonetheless it was a cheap shot considering the ball was gone.

I've got the thing TiVo'd and I've watched it about 20 times. Here is what is clear to me:

1) KVO could not see that Palmer had released the football.
2) KVO was not blocked into Palmer. He was clearly going for the sack under his own power.
3) Although he was going for the sack under his own power, he may not have neen in complete control of his body. The result was him hitting the knee with his shoulder instead of just grabbing Palmer's leg with his arms, which is the normal way you would bring down a QB in that situation.
4) All of Palmer's weight was on the knee since it was necessary for him to make the completion. No doubt this fact contributed significantly to the injury.

Personally, I think it was a reckless play by KVO, although it may not rise to the level of being dirty or illegal.

I'v got nothing but respect for Palmer. He had a great season, actually completed that pass, and has handled this whole situation with total class. I hope he comes back at 110% and lights up Pittsburgh as a divisional rival for years to come.

I too hope Palmer comes back as before and this does not hurt his career. He is going to be a HOF QB. The fact that his first pass (and only, unfortunately) in the playoffs was a 66 yard completion is impressive.

I hate to see such a good player suffer a injury like that. Hopfully Carson can get healthly and help his team next year.

Attachments

• ThrowbackAuthenticHelmet.jpg
    ThrowbackAuthenticHelmet.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
DaBruinz said:

I have heard the same thing as you had said about Rodney. thanks for bringing it up again because there are still people who think Rodney won't be able to make it back.

He will be able to make it back but it may take him until mid season to get back to what he was.

But, read the banner below:

PATSNUTme said:
I have heard the same thing as you had said about Rodney. thanks for bringing it up again because there are still people who think Rodney won't be able to make it back.

He will be able to make it back but it may take him until mid season to get back to what he was.

But, read the banner below:

I am unfortunately a veteran of 4 knee surgeries. ACL twice. I am also medically trained, so when they talk about specifics, I would say that I have a better than average understanding.

Rodney had substantial swelling for several weeks after surgery and thus, delaying the repair. All knee injuries result in some degree of swelling, some worse than others. So I am going with Rodney's swelling didn't go down as fast as the Doctors expected. But, I know several Orthapaedic surgeons pretty well, and I will ask them thier opinion and update us here at a later time.

I would bet that Carson will return and you will see a change in (or tighter calls) regarding hits to a QB below the waist.

I also think that Rodney will be back, but will he be as fast? Not so sure.

Kimo himself said he was trying to sack the quarterback when he was asked what he was doing on that play. I still don't think he intentionally hurt him, though, these things sometimes just happen.

PATSNUTme said:

You really can't predict these things - we'll just have to wait and see

Everyone reacts differently to injury - whether its Palmer or Harrison - and heals at a different rate

Much also depends on how they use their knee - an RB or WR who runs and cuts routinely, and a CB who needs to do the same (without knowing where the WR is going no less) require different levels of recovery than a pocket passer or lineman

Additionally, there should be no understimating the psychological effect of such a trauma

My knee did a "Joe Theisman" on me and while repaired, the fact that my leg went Gumby the way it did has had a profound impact on my ability to go full out in athletics ever since

I saw the same thing with Dee Brown for the Celtics - he never again played with the same abandon

In Harrison's case we all hope and need him to play with complete abandon, using his body as a weapon without thought to his knee injury. If anyone can do it, he can.

Is this injury Willis McGahee/Robert Edwards-type or is it different? Haven't heard those guys' names mentioned and they were devastating. Still feel bad for RE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes