PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Palmer's doctor: "knee injury potentially career-ending," "worse than expected"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/rs...n.palmer.surgery.ap/index.html?section=si_nfl

'Potentially career-ending'
Doctor says Palmer's knee injury worse than expected
Posted: Thursday January 12, 2006 7:22PM; Updated: Thursday January 12, 2006 7:22PM

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Carson Palmer's knee injury was "devastating and potentially career-ending," involving numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap, his surgeon said Thursday.

The Cincinnati Bengals quarterback tore ligaments in his left knee when he was hit by Pittsburgh's Kimo von Oelhoffen on his first pass during the Steelers' 31-17 playoff victory Sunday.

The team announced that he had torn the anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments. The damage was much more extensive and severe, but Dr. Lonnie Paulos said surgery went well and Palmer could be back for the start of the season.

Palmer had surgery Tuesday in Houston. Doctors used grafts from other parts of his body and donated tissue to fix the damage during an operation that lasted more than two hours. Palmer headed back to California on Thursday to do his rehabilitation.

"It's not just like it was a torn ACL," Paulos said Thursday, in a phone interview from Houston. "It's a magnitude more difficult to recover from and repair. It can and has ended careers, without a doubt.

"However, I feel very comfortable with Carson as an athlete and the heart that he's got. In the end, that's the bottom line. I can see the look in his eye already. He's ready to get going."

Paulos, an orthopedic surgeon who has worked with the U.S. Ski Team since 1983, replaced the anterior cruciate ligament, which runs through the middle of the knee and provides stability. He said the medial collateral ligament, which runs along the side of the knee, was damaged "real bad."

"On a scale of 1 to 3, it was a 4," he said. "It was off the chart. It was pretty badly damaged -- shredded is the better term."

The kneecap dislocated when Palmer was hit, damaging tissue around it. There also was some cartilage damage, he said.

Paulos was able to repair the knee without removing pieces of cartilage or soft tissue, a good sign.

"The things that were torn could be repaired," he said. "They were not torn beyond repair. So he's got all his parts in there, which is good. We're optimistic, actually."

If rehabilitation goes well, Palmer could be running in a couple of months and might be able to play in the first regular season game, Paulos said. The 2006 schedule hasn't been set.

Palmer has worn a protective brace on the left knee since he sprained it near the end of the 2004 season. The knee bowed inward on von Oelhoffen's hit even though Palmer was wearing the brace,

"The brace didn't function well in this environment and should have done better than it did, frankly," Paulos said.

The plan is for Palmer to wear more substantial braces on both knees when he returns.

"No brace is perfect," Paulos said. "No brace can prevent every injury, but they do help."

Paulos saw the replay of the injury and wasn't surprised at the extent of the damage it caused. Palmer has absolved von Oelhoffen, saying he didn't think the lineman was trying to hurt him. The lineman said he was trying to sack Palmer, not injure him. He wasn't penalized for the hit.

Palmer made the Pro Bowl in only his second season as a starter, throwing an NFL-leading 32 touchdown passes. The club extended his contract through the 2014 season.

Jon Kitna, who has been Palmer's backup and mentor the last two years, can become a free agent. Palmer's injury will force the Bengals to make sure they have another reliable quarterback on board.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

That sucks. I hope that Pittsburgh guy that hit him feels like crap. (cuz he should)

re

Great article, I was just about to post it myself.

The doctor didn't hold anything back - it sounds like the knee was ground to shreds and then reconstructed. Just so unlucky for Palmer and the Bengals organization.

By the way, I'm not sure we're allowed to post entire articles on message boards. Something with intellectual property rights, I believe.

Wow...truly sad if he can't play anymore or not play well. He seemed like a real bright star for the future as well as a classy guy. And I still think it was a questionable hit.

If this happened to Peyton, Polian would push for the NFL to ban tackling.

KDPpatsfan said:
Wow...truly sad if he can't play anymore or not play well. He seemed like a real bright star for the future as well as a classy guy. And I still think it was a questionable hit.

It is very sad that this happened. A healthy Carson Palmer is a great thing for the NFL. The hit was not questionable. Nobody of prominence has said that it was. Here's to hoping that Carson Palmer makes a full recovery.

PS....If you didn't think Kimo Von Olhoffen didn't feel bad about what happened, then I guess he is an unbelievably talented actor.

PATSummerallofthe80s said:
It is very sad that this happened. A healthy Carson Palmer is a great thing for the NFL. The hit was not questionable. Nobody of prominence has said that it was. Here's to hoping that Carson Palmer makes a full recovery.

PS....If you didn't think Kimo Von Olhoffen didn't feel bad about what happened, then I guess he is an unbelievably talented actor.
I don't doubt that he feels badly but if you watch the play again ( I taped the game) he is not blocked into him..he DIVES into his knee. IMO that is a dirty hit. I doubt he intended to cripple the guy but nonetheless it was a cheap shot considering the ball was gone.

KDPpatsfan said:
I don't doubt that he feels badly but if you watch the play again ( I taped the game) he is not blocked into him..he DIVES into his knee. IMO that is a dirty hit. I doubt he intended to cripple the guy but nonetheless it was a cheap shot considering the ball was gone.

I respect your opinion. But don't you think there would have at least been a flag/penalty if the officials thought that. Even the head of officials was on the NFL Network today and he said after reviewing the tape that it was no late hit.

Boy, that is tough. I thought that I had heard earlier today that they expected him to be ready for training camp.

PATSNUTme said:
Boy, that is tough. I thought that I had heard earlier today that they expected him to be ready for training camp.

The best thing Carson Palmer has going for him in this situation is that he is young, and strong. If anyone can make a comeback from this, he sure can. Not a great analogy but if you remember Theisman's injury (it happened pretty late in his career).

Just shows what the Steelers will do to win - there was absolutely no reason von Oelhoffen had to keep his arm and hand tightly gripped around Carson's lower leg as he rolled into his knee. This has gotten huge attention in the press.

Oh, god, I feel so bad for Carson right now. That is just awful.... I literally gasped when I read this and my husband demanded to know why and when I told him, he gasped too.

Get better soon, Carson. The docs will always give the worst case scenario, but don't give up!

Why don't they just give him a bionic leg? I remember back in the 1970s, there was this guy, Steve Austin, who was in a plane crash, and they gave him like a bionic eye and a bionic arm and bionic legs.

I would have to think they've got even better technology by now, don't they?

As terrible as a thing that injury is, let's not forget the dude just signed a huge $100MM contract. Not to mention his #1 overall signing bonus.

If you want to feel sorry for someone, feel for the kids playing NCAA ball for no salary, make millions for their universities, then get hurt their junior season and never get drafted.

And don't give me the free education rap: The FSUs of the world aren't exactly encouraging the students to go to class and plan for the future.

lobster said:
Just shows what the Steelers will do to win - there was absolutely no reason von Oelhoffen had to keep his arm and hand tightly gripped around Carson's lower leg as he rolled into his knee. This has gotten huge attention in the press.
You're right, it has gotten a lot of attention, with almost EVERY radio, TV, and written personality saying that they don't believe it was intentional. Add most coaches to that as well.

This almost puts him in Pennington's league going forward, though he certainly had/has far more talent and potential. Marvin might want to consider trading Chad now for a package of draft picks and pro bowl linemen. If they can get Palmer back on his feet they'll have to protect him like the US Treasury. They can always find another WR - QB is the name of the game.

Good thing Felger isn't our GM. He was arguing a few weeks back when Carson got his $118M contract after his second year breakout season, that any GM who wouldn't take Palmer over Brady today to start a franchise was stupid. Sure Brady had a track record, but Carson was more mobile and younger. :rolleyes:

BradyisGod said:
You're right, it has gotten a lot of attention, with almost EVERY radio, TV, and written personality saying that they don't believe it was intentional. Add most coaches to that as well.

Maybe they are saying that, but if you look at the replay, there was no-one else around Palmer anymore. Somehow, I think Kimo could have sensed that the ball was long gone.

Fanfrom1960 said:
Maybe they are saying that, but if you look at the replay, there was no-one else around Palmer anymore. Somehow, I think Kimo could have sensed that the ball was long gone.

You don't think any of these people who agree it wasn't intentional, haven't looked at the replay?

Fanfrom1960 said:

Yep, he must have forgotten to use his Defensive Lineman ESP, or put on his "I can see 360 degrees" helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots