Welcome to PatsFans.com

Palin's "Star-Turning Performance"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by cupofjoe1962, Sep 4, 2008.

1. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 12 / -2

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Fully agree, grand slam speech.

Palin v Biden should be fun.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

No doubt she did a very good job, but let us see when she is away from the Cocoon of the RNC and having to answer the difficult questions.. I think there is only so much mileage you can get out of the Obama bad stuff, need some substance here.
  4. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Agreed. Time will tell if she is for real or a one trick pony.
  5. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Any person familiar with politics knows that one job of the VP is to bash the the other party's Presidential and VP nominees. That's the way the game is played.

I look forward to Sarah hitting the talk-show circuit and of course the VP debate. I think, again, she will be underestimated, which plays in her favor.

She passed the first test, two to go.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

We will see, interesting you tube video by Ben Stein, saying something to the effect that she needs to be babysat by Henry Kissinger... when she is away from the handlers, time will tell..
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

She will clean biden's clock too bad there will only be 1 VP debate. The fear for the dems will be if BO mr uummmm,aaahhhh who can't speak without a teleprompter has to talk during the debate. HE was awful in the R Warren forum, I can see why his campaign ducked the townhall meeting format debates with McCain.
  8. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

Absolutely. Total ballwashing or whatever the phrase would be by the right-wing media. I do wonder whether this plays to Americans or just the right wing extremist base.

Seems like she'll be just fine in the attack role though :)

PFnV
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +128 / 7 / -13

Spin boy, even the demmie talking heads said the speech was great. We'll se what happens with the debate with Biden. I wish there were more than 1 VP debate.

Evidence of her effectiveness? Biden decided today to make a number of unscheduled appearances on the morning shows.
  10. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

It was a well written and well delivered speech.

Now lets check the facts, on Sarah Palin.

PALIN: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

THE FACTS: As mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. While Palin notes she rejected plans to build a $398 million bridge from Ketchikan to an island with 50 residents and an airport, that opposition came only after the plan was ridiculed nationally as a "bridge to nowhere."

PALIN: "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform — not even in the state senate."

THE FACTS: Compared to McCain and his two decades in the Senate, Obama does have a more meager record. But he has worked with Republicans to pass legislation that expanded efforts to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. The legislation became law last year. To demean that accomplishment would be to also demean the work of Republican Sen. Richard Lugar of Indiana, a respected foreign policy voice in the Senate. In Illinois, he was the leader on two big, contentious measures in Illinois: studying racial profiling by police and requiring recordings of interrogations in potential death penalty cases. He also successfully co-sponsored major ethics reform legislation.

PALIN: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars."

THE FACTS: The Tax Policy Center, a think tank run jointly by the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute, concluded that Obama's plan would increase after-tax income for middle-income taxpayers by about 5 percent by 2012, or nearly $2,200 annually. McCain's plan, which cuts taxes across all income levels, would raise after tax-income for middle-income taxpayers by 3 percent, the center concluded.

Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly, including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credits for larger families.

He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see taxes rise.

MCCAIN: "She's been governor of our largest state, in charge of 20 percent of America's energy supply ... She's responsible for 20 percent of the nation's energy supply. I'm entertained by the comparison and I hope we can keep making that comparison that running a political campaign is somehow comparable to being the executive of the largest state in America," he said in an interview with ABC News' Charles Gibson.

THE FACTS: McCain's phrasing exaggerates both claims. Palin is governor of a state that ranks second nationally in crude oil production, but she's no more "responsible" for that resource than President Bush was when he was governor of Texas, another oil-producing state. In fact, her primary power is the ability to tax oil, which she did in concert with the Alaska Legislature. And where Alaska is the largest state in America, McCain could as easily have called it the 47th largest state — by population.

MCCAIN: "She's the commander of the Alaska National Guard. ... She has been in charge, and she has had national security as one of her primary responsibilities," he said on ABC.

THE FACTS: While governors are in charge of their state guard units, that authority ends whenever those units are called to actual military service. When guard units are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, for example, they assume those duties under "federal status," which means they report to the Defense Department, not their governors. Alaska's national guard units have a total of about 4,200 personnel, among the smallest of state guard organizations.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_fact_check
  11. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://www.smh.com.au/news/us-elect...-enquirer-story/2008/09/04/1220121383123.html
    Sarah Palin's Alaskan story
    Video: As Sarah Palin accepts the nomination for Vice President, a look back at her rise to power.
    Palin revs up convention
    Video: Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin lashed out at Democrat Barack Obama and the US media.
    Palin attacks Obama
    Audio slideshow: Vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin speaks at the Republican Convention.
    Who is Sarah Palin?
    Audio slideshow: Former communications director for John McCain says Sarah Palin is a risky choice.

Miranda Devine: Feminists roll out guns against Palin
    Palin lets them have it: a pitbull with lipstick
    Sarah Palin: in her own words
    Under the spotlight: Sarah Palin's pregnant daughter and boyfriend meet John McCain
    'Old rich white boys' heed advice
    Palin Derangement Syndrome fever
    'Redneck' boy
    Vetting 'thorough'
    Palin picks abstinence
    A bump on the road to the White House
    Annabel Crabb: If only our mob could say boo to a moose
    Obama 'offended' by Palin rumour claims
    McCain surprise No. 2: Palin reveals teen daughter is pregnant
    Advertisement
    Anne Davies
    September 4, 2008 - 10:07AM

The McCain campaign has vigorously denied a report in the National Enquirer magazine that the Republican's vice-presidential pick, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, has had an extramarital affair with her husband's business partner.

The story, which appeared just hours before Mrs Palin was due to address the Republican convention, was branded "scurrilous" by the chief strategist, Steve Schmidt. He said it was totally untrue.

"The smearing of the Palin family must end. The allegations contained on the cover of the National Enquirer insinuating that Governor Palin had
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  12. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Is the same National Inquirer that the bloggers here were heralding for breaking the Edward's story well in advance of the "liberal media" such as Fox and the National Review? Are their two National inquirers because not long ago I was hearing how they were the only paper willing to speak the truth?

And speaking of Edwards can someone explain to me why the Edwards affair speaks horrible of his character, but McCain cheating on his 1st wife with a women 20 years younger is irrelevant.
  13. ljuneau

ljuneau Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

If you don't know the difference, you'll never know - your mind is too closed to the truth.
  14. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Apparently you have to parse this one too fine for you to put it in words, but it's good to see the family values party finally own up to its true values by embracing adultery and premarital sex. I wonder if Larry Craig will make a surprise appearance tonight?
  15. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +300 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

We had a thread about the EITC a while ago, noting that many people derive an income from it. They pay little to no tax and their tax "refund" is actually income. Ironically it was started by GJAJ15 - who is a big Obama supporter in this election. Not trying to pick on him, it's just one issue, it's just ironic. Anyway, if you guys like this, great, but the income tax system being a place where individuals derive income - and Obama wanting to increase this significantly - is questionable policy at best.
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +113 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

The media has foamed at the mouth for th last 5 days looking under every grain of sand to find dirt on Palin. The same media constantly looked the other way on Edwards despite long standing rumors of his affair.
  17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

Palin is an unknown, so every story about her is news. There's been a feeding frenzy because she's such an entertaining character, and she sells newspapers. There were rumors not only about Edwards, but about McCain as well. Let's hope the National Enquirer investigates those rumors, too.

http://www.capitolhillblue.com/cont/node/4611

And, maybe we should complain to the MSM for picking up the Palin story and, eventually, the Edward story, but not the McCain story.

So far, Obama and Edwards seem to live traditional family values far more than McCain and Palin. It must be hard for Republicans to wallow in this type of hypocrisy? Or maybe the Republican Party no longer really stands for anything.
  18. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I am a big fan of EITC.

I know that there are some purest free traders who could care less if people are living significantly below poverty. But that tends to be somewhat rare at least if you believe the rhetoric of the elected republicans. And their argument typically against a program is does it work or it is too expensive for what it does do.

So starting with that assumption.

EITC encourages legal employment. You can only collect it if you are working and working legally.

Although I do support raising the minimum wage and it in theory it should be high enough that if someone is working 40 hours per week at minimum wage their family should not be living in poverty.

But the problem with raising the minimum that high is that it eliminate many of those minimum wage jobs: either the business could no longer operate profitable, send the job overseas or replaced with automation.

Most other programs foodstamps etc. don't have the "encourage legal employment" aspect.
  19. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +300 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

20. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Really.......... I though you you were pro-choice and all for a woman's right to choose?

Yet, Palin's CHOOSING to work despite the fact that she has 5 kids is somehow "newsworthy" and notable, instead of NON-OF-YOUR fukcing concern :confused:

For that matter, her daughter CHOOSING to bang her boyfriend and then B]CHOOSING[/B] to take ownership and responsibility for the consequenses of those actions is somehow, something we need to "dwell over" and "discuss ad nauseam".

Normally, I would think you'd be all for "a woman's right to choose". So much for that idea I guess. I'm pro-choice myself...... apparently a lot more so then you are it seems.

You have zero credibility at this point. Does that bother you, in the least?