Welcome to PatsFans.com

Palin's, "Going Rogue" marketing strategy

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Oct 20, 2009.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

INteresting marketing strategy... Sarah co-autors a book with someone connected to some very obvious racist issues, then presell it at great discounts...guess someone wants to get this book out there... have to wonder what the profit margin for books like these are if they can discount it @ 69% and give it away free...

Guess somefolks want to get this book on every coffee table in america...

Free with a years subscription to Townhall

Going Rogue by Sarah Palin, free with your subscription to Townhall Magazine.

Free with a subscription to Newsmax

Newsmax Magazine: Get Sarah Palin's New Book First and Early!

only $8.95 from newsmax with no subscription

https://www.newsmaxstore.com/nm_mag/going-rogue2.cfm?promo_code=8B24-1

It is a nickel cheaper at Amazon.. with a very healthy discount of 69%

Amazon.com: Going Rogue: An American Life (9780061939891): Sarah Palin: Books
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Yeah, I noticed all that going on, Darryl. It's interesting in a funny-ha-ha kinda way, isn't it?

I doubt it's a money maker for the publisher - but it is good PR, I suppose. It preys on the fact that people are basically stupid and that they'll only look at the number of book sales and not the dollar amount of the sales.

It does beg the question, tho, why don't other authors need to do the same in order to have million mark book sales? Could it be that people actually want to read a book badly enough to spend the $35 or $40 dollars usually charged for a "best seller" and that the publishers are highly aware of that fact?

From personal experience, I'm an avid reader and I'll read anything and everything someone puts in front of me. That being said, I've yet to read a book that I received "free" and found it worth the price.
  3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

My wife released a book two weeks ago, its suppose to retail for $17.95 but can be had for about $12.00. Its about philanthropy so i don't think it will be a hit like Palins will be with the 28% er's ..... The point is from what i understand its not unusual to discount books when they hit the market, it sounds like a good marketing strategy to me. Although a 70% discount says something.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

Giving it away free with a subscription to a magazine says even more, doesn't it?

Congratulate your wife for me, Reflex - good for her - and best of luck with her book sales.
  5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Oh shes Very excited, she watches the sales on Barnes @ Noble in one day it went from apprx. 186,000 to 86,000 on the sales list. Colleges are thinking of using it as a text book which would be good.
  6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

That's extremely exciting, Reflex!! Double good for her!! I've got a poem in an anthology which is the #4 best seller in Amazon's best selling "Inspirational and Religious " catagory and I'm thrilled about just that.

If the book gets picked up by the colleges that'd be wonderful. I don't think there's anything more personally validating than being chosen to teach something.

Somehow, regardless of how many copies of Sarah's book are sold or given away I doubt that it will be remembered for very long or that anyone is going to learn anything of value from it.

I'm not too crazy about "ghost writers" anyhow. I know it's an accepted thing but it just seems like cheating to me. Either you can write or you can't - and if you can't then admit it and allow someone to write your biography - don't use someone else's words and talent and call it "autoiographical."

Although it was amusing when what's-his-name, T.O., complained that his autobiography contained lies.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Congrats, good for her...
  8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I don't like the idea of ghost writers myself. But since i obviously can't spell, or us correct punctuation so in my case if i had something to write i would be dictating it.
    As far as my wife goes shes considered one of the best in the country in her field and has authored numerous papers and lectures at university's and colleges. After one of her lectures she was approached to write a book about the subject....what an ordeal, i'm sure you know this its a lot harder to write a book than it looks even if you know what your talking about.

BTW i do have ideas for childrens books, we both do, so this is also an opening to pursue that avenue now that we have contacts in the buisness. Obviously I won't be doing any of the spelling or typing. :D
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

I have a book in my head, not sure I could pull it off.. look for it to be more of a personal cathartic issue, than something that would appeal to the masses... would like to spend the winter in an isolated place with no media distractions except for the computer and my thoughts.
  10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I'll tell her you both give her congrats, she'll be very appreciative. If they make a movie i want say as to who plays me. :D After all the books dedicated to me.
  11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

That's what editors are for!!!

I used to think even that was "cheating" but the Mr. has convinced me I'm wrong. He's much more educated than I am and his command of the English language and all of it's nuances and various pronounciations and acceptable spellings is far and away superiour to my own.

He always checks and rechecks my grammer and spelling on every poem I write before I consider it "finished" and therefore acceptable to submit for publication. It doesn't change what I've thought of on my own or what I've said, it merely cleans it up and helps to present it in the most favorable light.

If I really feel he (or anyone else) has contributed mightily to something I've written- or caused me to drastically change the concept of a poem or a short story I list them as a co-author in respect for their having shared their knowledge and their idea with me.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Writing can be a real joy, have written policy and procedure manuals for work, but the greatest joy have ever had was writing columns for a small newspaper in Western Maine...

Remember one I did right after 9-11, we felt crazy so we went to Boston for the weekend, and coincidentally the annual hempfest was going on.. it was an interesting contrast, and reminded me that life goes on despite the endless crawl of news updates below CNN... I needed to go to Boston,and needed to write the article.
  13. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

First MSPFV whats the name of your book, your book of poetry? And congradulations on it you must be proud.

Ms. Flex cringes when ever she sees my writing, she can't stand misspelling, she will get annoyed if she sees misspelling in papers, books, notices etc.

Editors wow, imo their both good and bad from what i saw. They wanted this book by a certain date but would constantly ask for changes. They always wanted it condensed more but at the same time to explain more. Its difficult to cover everyone from an experianced person to a novice in grant writing.
  14. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +60 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I'm glad you find such joy in writing, i hate writing, its like slow torture to me, i agonize over every word, on top of that as you have seen for three+ years i can't spell very well. Its the main reason i only write a few sentences here. I have to concentrate on my typing so many times i forget what i want to say. Writing in long hand is fine, blue book test were my favorite, but typing is different for some reason.

I mentioned in an earlier post having ideas for childrens books, thats true i have a few but physically writing them down .....no i couldn't
    A perfect example, i wanted to make it a point to say to MS-P that she sounds fine to me, i don't think Mr. P is writing these posts for her but forgot because i was paying to much attention to my typing.
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

No, not "my" book - an anthology with one of my poems in it. Maybe someday a book of my own, but not yet. Not ready yet. Maybe never. I was proud of having the poem chosen to be in the anthology, though. It's a book written by and about hungry and/or homeless people - and all proceeds go to shelters and food banks and the like. The name of the book is "Empty Shoes."

LOL She'd get along fine with Mr.PFnV.

Every once in awhile I'll get a poem accepted by some magazine and the editor will want extensive changes made - generally I just get irritated and pull the entire poem. I can't imagine what doing a book would be like.

Good editors are really important, though. They can be the difference between a successful book and a failing one. I'd never have the patience - occasionally someone will ask me to help them on a poem or story they are stuck on - and the improvement needed always look crystal clear to me but getting them to agree with me is something else entirely. LOL It takes a lot more tact and diplomacy than I possess to edit anything or anyone.

And deadlines just plain suck.
  16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +516 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

My little "secret" for spelling is to run any word I'm unsure of through my email - and use spellcheck. It only takes a few seconds and it gives the illusion that I know what I'm doing. :)

Nah, MrP doesn't write for me - but he does get sick and tired of me constantly saying, "how do I spell ________?" or "What's another word for _____________?"
  17. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +264 / 10 / -26

Just read where Sarah is going to appear on Oprah.. so all you righties set your tivo's, prepare for the joy of Sarah on prime time.
  18. cupofjoe1962

cupofjoe1962 Rookie

Ratings:
    +51 / 13 / -9

The Kazinsky shack is no longer available.
    They moved it to a museum in Wasshington D.C.
  19. Roland

Roland Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

PALIN is going commando? That would be worth a vote or 2.
  20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +538 / 2 / -9

Playing you (Tom Hanks)