Welcome to PatsFans.com

Palin fires a shot across the bow; she's learning fast

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Wake-up call for the "haters". One correction, though: this is no "offensive" on Palin's part; it is purely 100% defensive, and she is absolutely entitled to it.

[size=+3]Sarah Palin attorney warns press on 'defamatory material'[/size]

By JONATHAN MARTIN | 7/4/09 10:23 PM EDT
    Text Size

Ratcheting up her offensive against the news media, Gov. Sarah Palin’s attorney threatened on Saturday to sue mainstream news organizations if they publish “defamatory” stories relating to whether Palin is under federal investigation.

In an extraordinary four-page letter, Alaska-based attorney Thomas Van Flein warns of severe consequences should speculation that until now has largely been confined to blogs — about whether Palin embezzled funds in the construction of a Wasilla, Alaska, sports arena — find its way into print.

“This is to provide notice to Ms. Moore, and those who republish the defamation, such as Huffington Post, MSNBC, The New York Times and The Washington Post, that the Palins will not allow them to propagate defamatory material without answering to this in a court of law,” Van Flein warned, citing Alaska liberal blogger Shannyn Moore.

Much like Palin did in her Facebook statement Saturday, Van Flein savages the news media in his letter.

Sarah Palin attorney warns press on 'defamatory material' - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

//
  2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Her warning is meaningless.
    MSNBC and the rest of them have lawyers as well.
    This changes nothing. If anything, it may make her look guilty.
    But if she is, she will probably just blame the media.
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Your objectivity and "innocent until proven guilty" attitude is .... somewhat lacking.

//
  4. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Your objectivity and "innocent until proven guilty" attitude is .... somewhat lacking.

But I guess "that's the Democrats for ya".

//
  5. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Ooooh, she's got lawyers!
    Golly Gee!!
    Poor Sarah needs protection from the big bad media.
    I love it, I hope she NEVER goes away.
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Gee, Dave, now I see why you call yourself "Crazy". You really ARE!!!

Stay on your meds and you'll be just fine. Nobody's out to steal your fire engine. Don't worry.

//
  7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Bottom line is her shot across the bow is nothing.
    She said Don't say bad things about me, or I'll get my lawyer.
    Is this even news?
  8. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

It will be if the media whores go after her without cause.

Stay tuned. ;)

//
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +483 / 1 / -9

Watch Out Democrats Sarah's Gonna Getcha
  10. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Don't egg 'em on, Harry. So many exploding heads will be bad for the environment!!! Toxic waste, you know.

//
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +387 / 6 / -9

Yet more legal bills to pay for her.

Hey Foggy, here's a thought: maybe the vanishing breed of elected Republican governors (as opposed to those who have to fill in terms for Palin and soon Sanford) do some inside-the-beltway politics as usual and freakin' SCRIPT their press conferences???

And maybe not hold them in front of a flock of geese???

Yanno, there's a reason people do "the usual" when dealing with the press, which just loves random wacky stories like this... it's called controlling the message.

Palin = Fail.

Well, we're still waiting for whatever she's most paranoid about to appear... or maybe it's true, Governor just didn't make enough scratch for her, and she needs money.

Who knows. Who cares. She managed a grand total of 1 1/2 years as a governor before going down in flames.

Buh-bye Sarah.
  12. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

She's coming to see YOU, lost in DC boy!! She'll be ringing on your high-rise any day now. Get out the welcome basket and get ready to kiss her butt. :rofl: Handlers keep books on those who don't show proper respect, as you well know. :eek:

Hey, why doncha join DarrylS in the sweat-tank. She won't be up to Pawwwwwtuket for a while. He'll be the one with black feathers coming out his mouth. :D

:singing:.......................:singing:.................................:singing:

//
  13. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +483 / 1 / -9

One of the greatest mystrey's in American Politics "why do they hate this women so" there have been other VP candidates that were considered "not ready" look at the Moron we presently have as a VP, there is something about Sarah Palin that drives them nuts, The Obama News (NBC/MSNBC) spent all day yesterday Trashing Palin, they even put her ahead of Prince Barry in Russia, if Sarah is so unworthy of anything, if she is just a "dumb broad" why is the Obama News Agency so obsessed with her, Sarah made them forget all about Bush.
  14. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

"make her look guilty"
    "if she is"

Just keep throwing it out there guys with nothing whatsoever. Hey here's something new and exciting. Why don't we give her some semblance of a benefit of the doubt.....just once?

BTW don’t MSNBC and the rest of them and their lawyers make them look guilty or does that just work one way?

I get it though. It's ok to speculate about anything because she's Sarah Palin and she sets herself up. She brought her kids out on stage so let's defame them too. She deserves baseless speculation because she did a bad interview with Katie Couric and preaches abstinence. I think 17 frivolous ethics charges is just a good start and they need to keep coming in. She’d be a bad president so let’s ruin her and her and her family. It will be fun. It's time to teach that hypocrite republican a lesson. How dare she resign. Whats $500k in legal bills to a middle class family with 5 kids anyway? Saying the course will only run that up another million or so. Suck it up Sarah. Hopefully she will understand why she has no legitimacy for anything she does whether it be fishing, hunting or choosing to keep her baby. Maybe then she will come over to the good party, you know the once that preaches tolerance. See, it's all for her own good. Gosh I feel good now.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I think a lot of people don't like Palin because she's blindly ambitious.

That said, Harry, you do have a point. Strong women are often unfairly attacked in this society. Hillary was too shrill, Albright too unattractive, and Condi too unassertive -- sexist criticisms not usually used with men. The same is happening with Palin. The same thing happened with Shanon O'Brien when she ran for Governor against Romney. In fact, though I didn't like them politically, I felt the same thing happened with Swift and Healey. Perhaps some of your attacks on Hillary and Pelosi are of the same order.
  16. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Actually it's a very sharp strategy. The standard for defamation of public officials is New York Times malice ( Sullivan v NY Times 1964) which is knowledge of falsity or reckless disregard of falsity. If she puts them on notice of the falsity of it ( federal investigation) and they subsequently publish, it puts much higher burden on them to disprove a known falsity.
    What she was saying was in essence, publish what you want BUT there is no truth to those rumors and if still publish it, you will be held accountable. I'm no fan of hers but after the mainstream media onslaught, can you blame her?
  17. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

/agree. He twangy speeches annoyed me, and I probably wouldn't vote for her in most cases, but I understand why she is doing this. They've been pretty much teeing off on her since she was announced. Some of it was legit criticism, but much of it was stuff that they would never dare pull on any other non-R female politician (mocking her for the price of her clothes for example).
  18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +483 / 1 / -9

Yes I agree Patters, I can't stand Hillary/Pelosi and I have attacked them both especially "Their Teeth" Hillary's hang out and Pelosi is constantly sucking hers and lubricating them, it drives me crazy.
    We Americans do these things with our celebrity's........
  19. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Wow, that was quite a reach.
    Is msnbc warning her not to say things about them?
    Ruin her? She did that herself, that's why she has no credibility with the majority of americans.

Once again, she plays the victim.
    Sounds like that's not Change We Can Believe In
  20. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I wonder what Republicans would have given her if she had the same political "philosophy" but was a fat, ugly, man from Ohio.

Pleeeeease! Stop whining about her being over-vilified for her gender or looks! Either the women's movement for equality was real or it wasn't. I always tell my wife "you wanted equal rights? Go mow the lawn" to which she replies, "Yeah, OK tough guy...just as soon as you can nurse the baby!". That usually shuts me up and I'm outside behind the mower in five minutes.