Welcome to PatsFans.com

Palin-Backed Republican Plagiarized Obama Speech

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, May 25, 2010.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +221 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

On this, we agree. In the Internet age, when Google can be used to fact check or to check for plagiarism, is there any excuse for it?
    I'd love to hear the logic of the Mensa member who thought, " yeah, let's steal from President Obama's speech 6 years ago. nobody will ever know."

And I took the picture from Google images in the interest of full disclosure

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It was probably some lazy speechwriter who stumbled upon those words somewhere and didn't know specifically what they were from originally. Ironically, the candidate probably doesn't really deserve any blame (beyond hiring the idiot in the first place) but of course that's where it will all be placed.

Nevertheless, to tie this into Sarah Palin is pretty weak. As if she has to be personally responsible for some candidate she endorsed's speechwriter. But I guess that's because no one would give a care if the headline said "Guy Nobody Outside Idaho Has Ever Heard Plagiarizes Obama Speech"

5. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +775 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

His website is also a hodge-podge of quotes and positions which he's cribbed, word for word, from other politician's websites.

Ward's position statements cribbed from other websites - Spokesman.com - May 13, 2010

The Marines have also taken issue with Mr. Ward for violated a Pentagon directive prohibiting the impression that his campaign is supported by the military - which necessitated his removing a commercial from the television media.

Marines tell Idaho congressional candidate Vaughn Ward to pull campaign ad | Election 2010 | Idaho Statesman

All of these things are pretty funny....but his not knowing what Puerto Rico was is absolutely priceless.

At a debate Wednesday night, answering a question about Puerto Rican statehood, candidate Vaughn Ward repeatedly referred to the territory as a separate "country." When his opponent in the debate, who was actually born in Puerto Rico, pointed out his error, Ward responded, "I really don’t care what it is."

Congressional Candidate Revels in His Ignorance of America -- Daily Intel

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +452 / 12 / -14

Hopefully the speechwriter didn't crib Obama's statement about visiting 57 states....;)

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

Most liberals would see it as a matter of personal responsibility to assume responsibility for the mistakes one's staff makes.

8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +775 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

And what about the rest of it, WP? The bogus commercial, the stolen website quotes and ideas, the not knowing what Puerto Rico is - and then the not caring? Are those all the fault of "some lazy speechwriter," too? When does a candidate become responsible for what he/she says?

And when does the person endorsing him have to accept responsibility for that endorsement?

And make no mistake, Sarah DID endorse him....and campaign for him - more than once. From the tone of her endorsement, however, one has to wonder if she's truly interested in who actually wins or just who loses - or who she owes. One must especially wonder at her choice when her beloved Tea Party actually endorsed the Republican running against Mr. Ward.

Tea Party Boise endorses Raul Labrador | KTVB.COM | KTVB.COM | Boise, Idaho news

From Sarah's endorsement of Vaughn Ward:

After returning from Iraq, Vaughn went to work for the McCain/Palin campaign. I was grateful for his support then, and I’m happy to support him now because I know that he believes in the same commonsense conservative ideals that we cherish. Vaughn knows that real job growth comes from the private sector, not government. He believes in free market reforms, tax relief for families and small businesses, and a return to a constitutionally limited government that lives within its means. He’ll carry the conservative banner to Washington and will rein in the reckless growth of government to get it back on our side. And remember, a vote for Vaughn is a vote to remove the gavel from Nancy Pelosi’s grip

Sarah Palin: American Heroes Ready and Willing to Serve in Congress | Facebook

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +775 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

And most Conservatives wouldn't let them off that easy.....

10. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +246 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

11. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +246 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Right.....

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +775 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Do you honestly think that even the laziest of speechwriters or the dullest of advisors don't have access to or know about web sites such as UnCoVer.Com or the other hundred web sites which are devoted to plagiarism checking?

UN.CO.VER protects your articles from content theft and copyright infringement. It also helps avoid duplicate content and the negative impact it can have on your SEO and page rank.
    The desktop tool checks your text against millions of Web sites for duplicate content at the touch of a button. The results, which are shown by the percentage of words that match your article, can easily be exported.

UN.CO.VER can be used for a wide variety of sources

a single URL
    manually-entered text (copy & paste)
    an entire Web site, including domains and sub-domains

Unique Content Verifier (UN.CO.VER)

13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let me clarify my statement:

The politician is ultimately responsible, no doubt about it. All I am saying is that realistically speaking this particular blunder probably isn't his fault.
    It is a weak tie at best. Sarah Palin endorsed a Republican - groundbreaking!
    Every single person in this thread acknowledges that Sarah Palin endorsed him. For you to spend a couple paragraphs and doing all sorts of accompanying research trying to establish something that isn't in dispute shows quite an unhealthy obsession on your part.

14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

:rofl: This from the biggest Ted Kennedy apologist on the planet! :rofl:

But please, tell us all again about how liberals are all into personal responsibility! :rofl: :rofl:

15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Relax, sweetheart. I made a hypothesis on what I think probably happened based on an article I sort of half-read while watching the Super Bowl vote. And I gladly admit that it's a hypothesis just as likely to be wrong as right.

I know you feel you have to argue with every single thing I say on this forum but you really don't. I'm actually starting to feel some sympathy for your husband. His behavior is starting to make more senes.

16. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That is some weak ass sauce. Don't get so whiny just because your posts suck and a woman tells you about it. And PR is already our resident "Most Threatened Poster".

17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,123 / 3 / -10

It's Palin And Bush's Fault

:singing::singing::singing:

18. apple strudel

apple strudel Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Nothing can be Palin's fault because she hasn't done anything. :singing::singing:

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Palin would've quit the endorsement halfway through

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +569 / 22 / -19

Why are you changing the subject? Besides, it sounds to me that if Ted Kennedy was a Republican you might say, "It's not his fault. His aides should have kept a better eye on him.":rofl: