Welcome to PatsFans.com

Palestinians to seek full U.N. membership: Abbas

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Palestinians to seek full U.N. membership: Abbas - Yahoo! News

"We are going to the United Nations to request our legitimate right, obtaining full membership for Palestine in this organization," Abbas said in a televised speech.

"We are going to the Security Council," he added, to rapturous applause from his audience of Palestinian leaders in Ramallah, signaling his determination to press ahead despite efforts by U.S. and European officials to dissuade him.

2. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Why not? The list of member nations doesn't exactly scream democracy and human rights.

United Nations Member States

3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 12 / -10

I don't see how they can ask for statehood without first clarifying their political situation. Do they hope to become two states, one controlled by Fatah and the other by Hamas? At any rate, I think Israel is playing with an increasingly weak hand given the new realities in the ME, and statehood for the Palestinians would actually be in Israel's interest.

4. Gainzo

Gainzo In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -2

#11 Jersey

Look at Afghanistan & Iraq (both UN members). Religious and ethnic sects rule those places. Let the Palestinians in.

5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +574 / 6 / -2

I wonder what would happen if they followed through? I would love to see a two state solution, but realistically speaking, I don't think I'll see peace there in my lifetime. Too many generations of burned in hatred and distrust for peace to become a reality anytime soon. Even if 99% of the people there wanted peace, that 1% loon would blow up a cafe, or gun down some innocents at a checkpoint, and they'd be back to square one again. It's a pity too, cuz I couldn't imagine living so boxed in and restricted as the Paestinians do.

6. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

The Palestinians are still committed to the destruction of Israel. Why do we think the Israeli's want to commit suicide?

7. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 8 / -12

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

The palestinians have the American Left Wing on their side, how can they lose with people like Whoopi and MSNBC supporting them.

10. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Honestly, it would be more logical for the left to align with Israel 100% down the line. For the life of me, I see no commonality between the Palestinians cause and the American left wing. Israel on the other hand seems the logical people to sympathize with for liberals.

Just my 2 cents...

11. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

Your right and thats the way it used to be then along came 9/11 now America has a real live enemy "Radical Islam" this enemy also happens to be Israel's SWORN enemy, the hard core Far Left Wing Liberal will usually sympathize with any enemy of America, Israel being a friend of America is now naturally on "The Liberal Left Wing Sh!t List"

The American Liberal now sees the Muslim as a cause to slobber and fawn over, The Muslim & The Left Wing Liberal are now an Item, a love affair touched off by the Savagery of 9/11, the Left Wing Liberal does their best to ignore this savagery in other parts of the world commited by their New Lovers, Israel is in big trouble, a little country surrounded by people who want them eradicated from the face of the earth, the American Left Wing has chosen sides, they have thrown Israel under the bus.
    Very Strange for a group who claim to be kind, caring, sensitive and champions of human rights.

:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Why?..........
    I see no reason for a liberal to side with either.

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

Because liberals seem to side/sympathize with those who have historically been oppressed and no group of humans has ever been oppressed more than Jews.

That's why....

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Disagree. I thought we were talking about Israel, not Jews.

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +416 / 4 / -15

#18 Jersey

I don't think liberal sympathize with Islamic extremists at all. In America, I think they hate them as much as any other American.

Muslims are not synonimous with Islamic extremists Harry. If we view Americans as Americans and forget the partisanship, I'd bet we all hate Islamic extremists equally.

They have no valid cause or justification for the atrocities they've committed.

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

We are not only dealing with extremists we are dealing with their RELIGION that is the dangerous side of it when push comes to shove Musims all over this country and the world are going to stand with their RELIGION.

17. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +291 / 12 / -10

That's absurd Harry. According to statistics in France (by Muslim religious groups), for instance, only 10% of French Muslims are practicing Muslims. Muslims are no different than the rest of us. Some are religious nuts; the vast majority are not. But, just like Christians, who are fairly quiet even after Pat Robertson said that it was okay for a man to divorce his wife if she has Alzheimers, most Muslims will not speak out actively against their religion. How many times have you seen religious folks in this forum blast Christian leaders who made outrageous comments?

18. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

Time will tell, I could be wrong, their numbers grow daily in many country's and if they should come into power it will be The Islamic Religion that rules, seperation of church and state will be wiped out.