Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pakistan says US not hunting bin Laden on its turf

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Jul 12, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

One, why aren't we.
    Two, They won't let us look for OBL.....Fvcking SWINE

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080712/ap_on_re_as/us_pakistan

Pakistan says US not hunting bin Laden on its turf By JOHN HEILPRIN and PETER JAMES SPIELMANN, Associated Press Writers

Pakistan's top diplomat said Saturday there are no U.S. or other foreign military personnel on the hunt for Osama bin Laden in his nation, and none will be allowed in to search for the al-Qaida leader.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi said his nation's new government has ruled out such military operations, covert or otherwise, to catch militants.

"Our government's policy is that our troops, paramilitary forces and our regular forces are deployed in sufficient numbers. They are capable of taking action there. And any foreign intrusion would be counterproductive," he said Saturday. "People will not accept it. Questions of sovereignty come in."

The United States has grown increasingly frustrated as al-Qaida, the Taliban and other militants thrive in Pakistan's remote areas and in neighboring Afghanistan, and has offered U.S. troops to strike at terror networks. Critics in Washington also have expressed frustration with the new Pakistani government's pursuit of peace deals in the region.

Bin Laden is believed to be hiding somewhere along the rugged and lawless Afghan-Pakistan border region.

Pakistan's .......
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +40 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I absoulutely know for a fact that al-Qaida has been working out of Pakistan and are free to roam the country without fear. They come across the Afghan boarder and do their work, then flee back to Pakistan under the protection of the GOV. Pakistan cannot be trust and the are a safe haven for terrorist. I have seen it first hand.
  3. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I believe you. I believed that they come across the border before I read the article. The fact that we play patty cake with Pakistan pisses me off. This was/is the guy that has hounded us for over ten years and killed thousands of people, and to think that were just letting him run free well......pisses me off.
    I know damn well the Pakistanies aren't going to do squat about him the whole things a freakin joke.
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  4. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The answer to question one is easy, they won't let us, and they are a nuclear nation with a large contingent of radicals waiting for the government to give them reason to stir up sentiment for a coup (like cooperation with the US allowing incursions onto their soil and missions that will almost certainly result in unintentional civilian casualties). As crappy as they may be acting (and we don't really know what's going on behind the scenes, there may be more cooperation that the Pakistani gov't doesn't want to admit to), its better than the alternative of going in without their permission and risking destabilization of their gov't, ruining our relations, or worse.
  5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Bingo, I believe we have bingo.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

So much for our "resolute tough-guy" in the White House. He's like the school bully who talks tough but beats up on the skinny nerds.
  7. jack

jack Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://powdertracks.blogspot.com/2006/07/super-cia-agent-gary-bernsten-and.html
    After the Presidential debates where John "Grades D" Kerry was claiming President Bush and Donald Rumsfeld "outsourced" the fighting to Afghan warlords and The Bush' Administration's statements that they did not know where Bin Laden was. Bernsten 48, who is an avid Bush supporter and Republican retired from the agency to write this book.
    "When I watched the presidential debates, it was clear to me ... the debate and discussions on Tora Bora were — from both sides — completely incorrect," said Berntsen, who won't provide details until the agency finishes declassifying his book. "It did not represent the reality of what happened on the ground."
    Gary Berntsen, the recipient of two of the CIA's three highest medals, one for preventing Islamic extremists from assassinating the Indian prime minister in 1996 describes and recounts the attacks he coordinated at the peak of the fighting in eastern Afghanistan in late 2001. It's also about decision-making: "Who stepped up, who didn't in all of this," and includes how U.S. commanders knew Bin Laden was in the rugged mountains on the Pakistani border and the Great Escape!Per Bernsten's book Bin Laden escaped in a fog of U.S. domestic political considerations. Berntsen explains how Tommy Franks and the White House feared an unacceptable number of U.S. causalities, thus nixing his appeals to throw more special forces troops at Bin Laden.
    "As the CIA's key commander coordinating the fight against the Taliban forces around Kabul, and the drive toward Tora Bora, Berntsen not
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/08/20060821.html
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 5 / -2

You saved me the trouble of typing a reply Stokes. ;)
  9. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

You're right, but would you rather he destabilize the country to the point that the radical Islamists take over and have control of nukes? As awful as it is, we have to try and keep those radicals out of the seat of power in that country, which means putting up with Musharraf.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 5 / -2

People need to try to understand the reality of the situation. Pakistan was on the brink of complete chaos because they were openly helping us. We shot missles into a Madrassa to zap some AQ members, and 80+ people died. that action was the end of open aid. Mushareff had 3 assasination attempts against him, and Bhutto is dead. That part of the country is incredibly volatile. There are regions there that they have never controlled. India and Pakistan aren't friends either, and both are nuclear nations. It's a very dangerous part of the world for lots of different reasons.
  11. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +588 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

So why is the Bush Administration giving them billions?
  12. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't think that's really a fair way of looking at it. Do you think he should invade the mountains of Pakistan, consequences be damned? Ignoring the consequences of doing that would be very much like invading Iraq and hoping for the best, except this time we'd be doing it to a country we KNOW has WMD. Didn't we all want a President that would more carefully consider the ramifications of his actions before sending in the troops? Or do you think Iraq has gone well?
  13. Boston Boxer

Ratings:
    +40 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

yup, its a big joke...and they do it right in front of our faces
  14. Boston Boxer

Ratings:
    +40 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

that is a great question that i do not have the answer to.
  15. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +403 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

For correctness, it's the Democrat led congress that authorizes spending.
  16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +58 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Since when has that ever stopped "W" from doing what he wanted when i comes to matters such as these?
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +403 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm sure Bush is plenty to blame - as I keep saying, I don't like him - but we also need to get facts straight. The Dems have controlled Congress for almost two years now and they haven't done anything that I can see; although gas prices have certainly gone up since the Dems took over ;)

Just something to remember with the upcoming election - don't expect too much as the Dems in Congress have done . . . nothing.
  18. shmessy

Ratings:
    +588 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

Ridiculous. They've had slight majority in Congress for 18 months and this is all their fault?

The Senate is 49 to 49 with 2 Independents who caucus with the D's

The HOR is 232-202-1 (53%-47%)

There must be dayglo sunsets on your planet.
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +403 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

What have they done ? Other than get gas prices sky high ? The way I remember it they were elected to end the war by not funding it.
  20. shmessy

Ratings:
    +588 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

What CAN they do, BF!?! Read the damn numbers I added in the above post.

They GOT gas prices sky high? You mean Cheney/Bush aren't running the country? Are you kidding???????

Please tell us how they can defund the war with only a 53-47% edge in HOR and a 50-50 (you know Lieberman won't defund) with Dickie Halliburton as the tiebreaker in the Senate. Stop insulting everyone's intelligence here.

Anyhow, defunding the war would be merely defunding the troops and their safety - - Bush/Cheney have played that into a checkmate. They cannot vote to force Bush/Cheney to bring them home and you know it. Stop being disingenuous.