PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Painful announcing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
prov pat said:
I could not believe how many times Sharp said the word "outstanding" - every play seemed to bring out this overused adjective. After about the 500th time he refered to some play or player as "outstanding" I had to turn the sound off - too damn annoying!

And the "Brady/Cassel favorite receiver is the open receiver" comment from him was almost as bad - in my opinon, he had nothing to say and no great understanding of the team so he just babbled incessantly spewing the same things over and over to fill the space.

I thought Sharpe gave us all hope that if we could get on the playing field and open, with Tom Brady, we could declare ourselves his favorite receiver.

dryheat44 said:
Huh. I thought that despite his use of the word "decisiveness" 498 times, Sharpe was excellent. He actually made many relevant points. Spero was a JAG, which was fine, but I thought Sharpe gave one of the best ex-Jock performances I've heard in a long time, and he should improve.

I wouldn't call him excellent but his analysis was well above average for the medium and at times he made some very good points - especially as the game unfolded. Problem with all these broadcast teams is they are encouraged to fill the air at all costs and in the end that leads to incessant babbling from guys who sound like they are wound to tight. Because they are just fill, as opposed to radio guys who have to set the stage and paint the picture, they sacrifice quality of actual game observation for quantity of observations in general. Much of what they focus on is based on the pre game media briefings, and in many cases (though not in NE) HC's are providing talking points and using them to spin their position. Add to that the league was obviously pushing the Leinart debut to garner ratings and interest for a national broadcast.

Sharpe would be pretty good teamed with a stronger play by play announcer - and the basketball guy wasn't it. But for pre season it was way better than those Crique-Glanville debaucles we've been subjected to in the past.

I think NFLN made a long term mistake for short term gain in not letting systems outside of MA carry the feed. Sure it would cut into their ratings last night, but it would have broadened the base their get NFL Network message reached. What's the point of preaching to the choir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes