PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Paddy Chung unhappy (possibly fit?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy why do you get so upset when people speculate - i dont get it?

This is a fan messageboard - thats what happens on messageboards.

I dont see you ripping Mike Reiss for going along with the speculating.

Big $$$ extension for Chung isn't happening regardless of the tweet.

We need to make sure we get Vollmer done and also Donald Thomas who is a FA after this year.

Thankfully the TE are and Mayo are done but we also need to be thinking about Solder, Spikes and McCourty in the not too distant future. Spikes only has one more year, Solder and McCourty have two.

you mentioned all these ppl....what about welker?

But that's just the point - he is speculating as well when he takes the position that maybe the tweet and its subsequent deletion mean nothing which is why I, like you don't understand the necessity to berate other people for something that he's doing as well.

Last edited:
Chung was playing poorly before he got hurt. So was everyone else in the secondary. But, like McCourty, he has played effectively in the past. When he is playing well, he brings value especially against the run which, by the way, is something the team has been struggling with a bit while Chung has been out. BB has not given up on him or he would not be on the roster. So I am still holding out hope for his return to see what he can add to a more effective secondary than the one he left.

As Tedy Bruschi pointed out on the latest podcast, durability is the most importent skill. By that scale Chung dump hardly and would be pointless to cast $ after a player, who might if lucky, be ready 8/16 games a year.
Then you can talk about the secondary, the biggest issue Patriots had for years.. Mayby if a group of ppl have the opportunity to play together as a unit, impovements might follow aswell. Consisdensy might be the thing we missing mostly right now! Not only are they a young but talented group, but they also getting new players each week.

As Tedy Bruschi pointed out on the latest podcast, durability is the most importent skill. By that scale Chung dump hardly and would be pointless to cast $ after a player, who might if lucky, be ready 8/16 games a year.
Then you can talk about the secondary, the biggest issue Patriots had for years.. Mayby if a group of ppl have the opportunity to play together as a unit, impovements might follow aswell. Consisdensy might be the thing we missing mostly right now! Not only are they a young but talented group, but they also getting new players each week.

I think "Chung Dump" is the operative name..

I'm not upset. I'm just pointing out that I find it silly that people jump to conclusions without any basis of facts. It happens all the time around here, and you would think people would learn.
I would criticize Reiss for speculating without facts (in fact I'm sure I have) if you put him doing that in front of me.

Andy, the problem is you asked why anyone should assume there's a problem with Chung because of a tweet which he subsequently deleted.

On the other side of that equation is why you assume that things are just fine with Chung and that a tweet like that should be dismissed.

Because nothing has changed since he was starting and got injured.

I'm not upset. I'm just pointing out that I find it silly that people jump to conclusions without any basis of facts. It happens all the time around here, and you would think people would learn.
I would criticize Reiss for speculating without facts (in fact I'm sure I have) if you put him doing that in front of me.

If people could only talk about what is factually proven, this message board wouldn't exist, and neither would sports talk radio, or even ESPN. What is the matter about discussing conjecture? Chung tweeted something that raised some eyebrows and then deleted it right away. Do we know for sure what he was trying to say? No. Should that fact alone discourage any type of speculation around the topic? Obviously not. This is pretty much why places like PatsFans exist.

Last edited:
Patrick Chung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF5qh6yGvZM

He was not a "healthy scratch" the past four weeks. Players and training staffs are often at odds over whether a guy should play. Let the medical people do their thing and this will be fine. I like that he's sounding frustrated. It means he wants to play and is building up some determination to play well.

Chung at 100% is a good player, closes very well and is a heavy hitter. If he cannot run or doesn't have the burst needed due to a bad hamstring (which take a long time to heal), he's a liability.

If he gets all the way back for the Texans game, that is the one that counts most in the seeding. A foursome of McCourtney, Talib, Chung and Gregory is what we need to see the Patriots have available for the playoffs.

It's going to be interesting to learn whether or not he was a healthy scratch. To me, the tweet just sounded like a guy who thought he was ready to go, the training staff disagreed, and he disagreed with the training staff. Still, the "business" part is interesting as is the fact that the tweet was almost instantaneously removed. I'll stick with my instincts on this one, but wouldn't be surprised if it comes out later on that he was indeed a healthy scratch.

With that in mind, the safeties should remain McCourty and Gregory. Chung has had an absolutely horrid season vs. the pass.

Patrick Chung: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF5qh6yGvZM

He was not a "healthy scratch" the past four weeks. Players and training staffs are often at odds over whether a guy should play. Let the medical people do their thing and this will be fine. I like that he's sounding frustrated. It means he wants to play and is building up some determination to play well.

Chung at 100% is a good player, closes very well and is a heavy hitter. If he cannot run or doesn't have the burst needed due to a bad hamstring (which take a long time to heal), he's a liability.

If he gets all the way back for the Texans game, that is the one that counts most in the seeding. A foursome of McCourtney, Talib, Chung and Gregory is what we need to see the Patriots have available for the playoffs.

He can build up a determination to play well all he wants. The fact of the matter is that his issues against the pass that he came into the league with still have not been corrected. He's a liability back there and will continue to be one regardless of how determined he is.

A covert Jets fan trying to trick BB into fielding 13 men on defense during the playoffs? Penalties, fines and draft pick loss to ensue. :mad:

Last edited:
A covert Jets fan trying to trick BB into fielding 13 men on defense during the playoffs? Penalties, fines and draft pick loss to ensue. :mad:

Not so. Nevertheless, you quoted the foursome of McCourtney, Talib, Chung and Gregory as the wrong grouping - what is better?

Dennard, Talib, McCourtney and Gregory? I like Dennard but he still makes rookie mis-reads. For the playoffs, where the QBs will be the best in the business, assuming Roethlisberger is back, I like McCourtney and Talib as the corners. The Patriots will be better in the seam and outside.

Wilson instead of a healthy Chung? Wilson has been a pleasant surprise in his rookie season, but definitely not the hitter that Chung is and he doesn't have Chung's experience.

Last edited:
Patrick Chung falls into that very large category of being "not as good as we hoped, and not as bad as he's perceived".

I think one of the problems a lot of people have have here is there are only 3 categories of players - All pros.. potential all pros...and JAG's/Busts. If you aren't one than you are the other. When healthy, Patrick Chung has been generally a solid safety, good in run support, and a liability in coverage. But the fact is that 90% of the safeties in the NFL are liabilities in coverage, especially "run support" guys like Chung.

The fact is that the Pats secondary is better WITH Chung in there than it is when he isn't. He made a huge difference when he came back last year. That's undeniable. NFL players are perhaps among the most competitive people on the planet. Injured players always think they are ready before they are. Chung's reaction to not being activated was natural, especially in an important contract year.

I think its fair for those who are making speculative interpretations of his short tweet. That's what we do, and that's why its so astonishing players and celebrities still do it, but that 's another topic. This is clearly "much ado about nothing". Chung will be back this game or next, and he will help. After the season, the Pats will give him a price they think he's worth and he'll take it or not....and that will be that. Same as it will be with the rest of their FA's. Only Volmer and Welker will merit much negotiation. The rest will mostly be take it or leave it.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Chung active again and see if he can redeem his season.

Not sure if this is worthy anything, but he's done at least three public autograph signings in the past three weeks.

Patrick Chung falls into that very large category of being "not as good as we hoped, and not as bad as he's perceived".

I think one of the problems a lot of people have have here is there are only 3 categories of players - All pros.. potential all pros...and JAG's/Busts. If you aren't one than you are the other. When healthy, Patrick Chung has been generally a solid safety, good in run support, and a liability in coverage. But the fact is that 90% of the safeties in the NFL are liabilities in coverage, especially "run support" guys like Chung.

The fact is that the Pats secondary is better WITH Chung in there than it is when he isn't. He made a huge difference when he came back last year. That's undeniable. NFL players are perhaps among the most competitive people on the planet. Injured players always think they are ready before they are. Chung's reaction to not being activated was natural, especially in an important contract year.

I think its fair for those who are making speculative interpretations of his short tweet. That's what we do, and that's why its so astonishing players and celebrities still do it, but that 's another topic. This is clearly "much ado about nothing". Chung will be back this game or next, and he will help. After the season, the Pats will give him a price they think he's worth and he'll take it or not....and that will be that. Same as it will be with the rest of their FA's. Only Volmer and Welker will merit much negotiation. The rest will mostly be take it or leave it.

Chung is solid against the run, and might be useful in a "big nickel" type of package where he's taking on TE's. However, as a starting safety, he's pretty bad against the pass. He's constantly out of position (which is why he's usually a second or two too late to the play) and isn't useful as a big hitter because of his size and the fact that he's so prone to injury. Though we lose a little against the run with McCourty, we gain that much more against the pass. Keep McCourty and let the front seven handle the run.

Because nothing has changed since he was starting and got injured.

Really? How do you know? Do you have some sort of special connection to the Belichick injury report that the rest of us don't know about?

Face it, you're speculating just like everyone else.

Though we lose a little against the run with McCourty, we gain that much more against the pass. Keep McCourty and let the front seven handle the run.
Why can't McCourty and Chung play at the same time?

But that's just the point - he is speculating as well when he takes the position that maybe the tweet and its subsequent deletion mean nothing which is why I, like you don't understand the necessity to berate other people for something that he's doing as well.
So saying there is no valid information from which to speculate equals speculation in your world?
2+ _____ = 6 is speculation.
2+ _____ = I don't know because there isn't enough information is not.

Exactly who did I BERATE and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back