PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pacman Jones suspended for season, Henry for 8 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: pacman jones suspended!!!

I disagree with this. Goodell should've waited until there was a conviction or at the least until charges were filed. A lot of Pacman's troubles haven't stuck legally, and I think that he could've sent a better message there. I find it troubling that a player (Merriman) can openly cheat, attacking the integrity of the game on the field, and have a minimal suspension and be awarded a Pro Bowl and DPOY considerations, while this is handled so harshly. I'm all for upholding the code of conduct when players are convicted, but let due process play through first. Then send your message.

You are missing a major transgression of Pacman's--he didn't inform the NFL of some of his legal troubles, as all players are required to do (regardless of conviction). This nullifies your argument since it isn't related to being convicted. No one know how big a part of the suspension this part was, but apparently it was considered very significant.

Negative. If I have a policy in place, say a policy similar to one my office holds. We refuse to hire based on felony convictions or violent misdemeanors. Therefore, if you are the most qualified applicant, and I turn you away because your background check turns up say a dropped charge of battery, I'm in some deep trouble. You can theoretically latch on to one of the protected classes pretty easily (and believe me, I get something almost daily coming across my desk like this), and the EEOC will be knocking on the employer's door. Title VII is a good place to read up, because employment legislation since 1964 has tightened things up. As a 26 yr old white male, I could have a discrimination claim if I was treated differently in the workplace as a co-worker. Different times. But I digress.

The bottom line is that I don't think the NFL is treating each situation equally. Legally they don't have to, because of their CBA. But personally, I think it's a raw deal.

They just finally had enough. What do you want them to do, retroactivly go after the players that they have punished in the past and add fines and suspesions???? Really what are they suppossed to do? Never change and let it continue to go unchecked or a $5,000.00 fine or something? They realized that the "punishment" they handed out before obviously is not a big enough deterent so they have now gone farther.

You know who got the raw deal? The guy that is paralysed, not douche bag "pacman".

And if the most qualified applicant should give an answer that gives the hiring entity reason to suspect that they may not be of good character or trustworthy?

Then they may not be the most qualified candidate. But that hiring manager better be darn sure that they interpreted that answer correctly. Most companies have an initial set of "company value" questions that they ask applicants. For instance, you quit your last job because your boss wanted to have you work late to help with a project. That doesn't show a strong motivation to get the job done. If you are asking every candidate the same questions, and can show that Candidate B may have less experience, but it is comparable, and they have shown great initiative in staying late and working on those projects, than you can reasonably defend that hire. If the position was for say, a fry cook that works a set shift, probably a tougher decision.

The background screen I reference would've been after the offer was made- so it would be clear they were being denied employment after being deemed most qualified, and being held to a different standard than every other applicant/employee. That is a legal problem.

They just finally had enough. What do you want them to do, retroactivly go after the players that they have punished in the past and add fines and suspesions???? Really what are they suppossed to do? Never change and let it continue to go unchecked or a $5,000.00 fine or something? They realized that the "punishment" they handed out before obviously is not a big enough deterent so they have now gone farther.

You know who got the raw deal? The guy that is paralysed, not douche bag "pacman".

Do you believe that Pacman is responsible for this man who was shot? Because the LVPD do not believe that yet. Do you believe Ray Lewis was responsible for the death in Atlanta?

I believe that Pacman should be disciplined. I feel his penalty is harsher than the crime because of the publicity it received. I do not condone what he did, and I find it reprehensible, and an embarrassment to the NFL. But, I would not have given a year-long suspension, and I would have weighed previous penalties to other players as well. I just hope that the commissioner is ready to levy this punishment to every similar situation in the future, and act swiftly and remedially in the future with other players as they become involved in violations of the CoC.

How is Tank Johnson sitting in prison, but not suspended for a year?

Then they may not be the most qualified candidate. But that hiring manager better be darn sure that they interpreted that answer correctly. Most companies have an initial set of "company value" questions that they ask applicants. For instance, you quit your last job because your boss wanted to have you work late to help with a project. That doesn't show a strong motivation to get the job done. If you are asking every candidate the same questions, and can show that Candidate B may have less experience, but it is comparable, and they have shown great initiative in staying late and working on those projects, than you can reasonably defend that hire. If the position was for say, a fry cook that works a set shift, probably a tougher decision.

The background screen I reference would've been after the offer was made- so it would be clear they were being denied employment after being deemed most qualified, and being held to a different standard than every other applicant/employee. That is a legal problem.

I don't know how we got into a corporate world recruiting legal contest here. SImply put there are plenty of jobs where you can be FIRED for conduct that refects badly on your character. My job for example I don't have to be convicted of any crime but if I do something that is deemed "bad" I can be fired for conduct unbecoming with NO CRIME EVEN BEING COMMITTED. I realy can't believe you are defending this scumbag and his "rights"....he doesn't have any right to play in the NFL simply put. I guarantee you the NFL IS legally sound in this and MUCH better off by taking this action.

Anyone else catch the NFL network breaking news on this? Marshall Faulk was defending Pacman, he kept saying he cant understand how someone with only 1 conviction can get a year suspension when someone with 3 ( Chris Henry ) gets 8 games.
Hmmm just maybe its because Henry is charged with relatively minor offences & Pacman is either directly or indirectly responsible for some poor guy being paralyzed for life??? I dont know how anyone can defend this scum bag.

I agree with Marshall Faulk in the regard that Chris Henry should have gotten just as much as Pacman Jones. Regardless of the severity of crime these two are the poster children for bad behavior and both should be out of sight and out of mind for a full year.

Well Pacman had it coming. This will be a very expensive lesson for him.
Good on the commish, he had to take a stand and he did.
The line in the sand has been drawn.

I don't know how we got into a corporate world recruiting legal contest here. SImply put there are plenty of jobs where you can be FIRED for conduct that refects badly on your character. My job for example I don't have to be convicted of any crime but if I do something that is deemed "bad" I can be fired for conduct unbecoming with NO CRIME EVEN BEING COMMITTED. I realy can't believe you are defending this scumbag and his "rights"....he doesn't have any right to play in the NFL simply put. I guarantee you the NFL IS legally sound in this and MUCH better off by taking this action.

Again, you can be FIRED for conduct that reflects poorly on your characted. I have never disputed this. But legally, it's only going to fly if your employer fires EVERYONE who does what you did. If I get fired for going to PatsFans.com, but my coworker in another office down the hall goes to PatsFans.com, but only gets reprimanded, well, there's a problem.

That is kind of important in what I'm saying here, as my only beef with this situation is the disparity of treatment between Jones and other players. I never said that the NFL wasn't within their legal rights- they operate under a CBA, and can do so. Will the Players Union appeal? I hope so. Again, I defend this "scumbag" because he has as much as "right" to his job as I do mine. I'd like to see him treated equally in his working environment. I have not once approved of his actions, or said there should be no punishment. But look around the league. There is a player sitting in Cook County Jail right now. There is a player who won SB MVP a year after a murder trial. Pacman Jones is not the devil. He's a kid who has made about every bad choice you can make, and needs a stern punishment. I agree with that.

Do you believe that Pacman is responsible for this man who was shot? Because the LVPD do not believe that yet. Do you believe Ray Lewis was responsible for the death in Atlanta?

I believe that Pacman should be disciplined. I feel his penalty is harsher than the crime because of the publicity it received. I do not condone what he did, and I find it reprehensible, and an embarrassment to the NFL. But, I would not have given a year-long suspension, and I would have weighed previous penalties to other players as well. I just hope that the commissioner is ready to levy this punishment to every similar situation in the future, and act swiftly and remedially in the future with other players as they become involved in violations of the CoC.

How is Tank Johnson sitting in prison, but not suspended for a year?

Yes actually the LVPD DOES think he is responsible(because of his lack of co-operation they can't find the shooter...big surprise how his agent said he is fully co-operating which is BS.) I know people on the LVPD and because all of his friends are thugs no one is talking so it is making the case difficult to bring to court. Yes Ray Lewis was responsible in ATL...same thing there, lack of co-operation and a guilty guy goes free.

I too hope they are ready to punish people with a more get tough policy, have't you been reading the news? They have been talking about how it WAS GOING TO BE TOUGHER. I really don't see your rational. As far as Tank Johnson I can't believe you are comparing the two. Tank violated his probation by possessing guns in his house...if you think that is the same type of conduct I don't know what to say. Tank SHOULD get more punishment IMO, but you seem to want to lower punishment because others got less than this douche bag. They finally had enough and are now doing what they should have before, but are you saying because they didn't before they shouldn't or can' do it now? Thats what it seems like your position is. I will leave off with again How about the dancers head he bounced off the stage? Or the guy that is paralysed.....I think THEY got the raw deal, so far this guy hasn't got 1/10 of what he deserves yet.

Again, you can be FIRED for conduct that reflects poorly on your characted. I have never disputed this. But legally, it's only going to fly if your employer fires EVERYONE who does what you did. If I get fired for going to PatsFans.com, but my coworker in another office down the hall goes to PatsFans.com, but only gets reprimanded, well, there's a problem.

That is kind of important in what I'm saying here, as my only beef with this situation is the disparity of treatment between Jones and other players. I never said that the NFL wasn't within their legal rights- they operate under a CBA, and can do so. Will the Players Union appeal? I hope so. Again, I defend this "scumbag" because he has as much as "right" to his job as I do mine. I'd like to see him treated equally in his working environment. I have not once approved of his actions, or said there should be no punishment. But look around the league. There is a player sitting in Cook County Jail right now. There is a player who won SB MVP a year after a murder trial. Pacman Jones is not the devil. He's a kid who has made about every bad choice you can make, and needs a stern punishment. I agree with that.

So just WHEN do they change the punishment to fit the conduct? You seem to be saying that because they didn't punish a player two year ago like this they can NEVER punish anyone like this? You have to start somewhere. You won't see the players union "step up" because they were involved with the process, have you read Vrabels comments?

Again youthink they have to retroactivley punish players..or just continue to allow a broken system exist and letthe situation deteriate?

Yes actually the LVPD DOES think he is responsible(because of his lack of co-operation they can't find the shooter...big surprise how his agent said he is fully co-operating which is BS.) I know people on the LVPD and because all of his friends are thugs no one is talking so it is making the case difficult to bring to court. Yes Ray Lewis was responsible in ATL...same thing there, lack of co-operation and a guilty guy goes free.

I too hope they are ready to punish people with a more get tough policy, have't you been reading the news? They have been talking about how it WAS GOING TO BE TOUGHER. I really don't see your rational. As far as Tank Johnson I can't believe you are comparing the two. Tank violated his probation by possessing guns in his house...if you think that is the same type of conduct I don't know what to say. Tank SHOULD get more punishment IMO, but you seem to want to lower punishment because others got less than this douche bag. They finally had enough and are now doing what they should have before, but are you saying because they didn't before they shouldn't or can' do it now? Thats what it seems like your position is. I will leave off with again How about the dancers head he bounced off the stage? Or the guy that is paralysed.....I think THEY got the raw deal, so far this guy hasn't got 1/10 of what he deserves yet.

So basically everyone who is associated with anyone who injures/paralyzes/kills someone else is automatically guilty? Also, follow the Tank Johnson story a little closer. There was a fatality there as well.

Pacman Jones is not the devil. He's a kid who has made about every bad choice you can make, and needs a stern punishment. I agree with that.

How do we know he's not the (a?) Devil? Because he doesn't have horns and hooves?

He's a bad guy. Or kid. Whatever. Regardless, he's lucky enough that his "bad choices" have only hurt other people and not him which, if there was any justice, they would have. He's finally getting just a taste of consequence.

Personally, I hope his next bad choice gets him a nice hospital bed.

So just WHEN do they change the punishment to fit the conduct? You seem to be saying that because they didn't punish a player two year ago like this they can NEVER punish anyone like this? You have to start somewhere. You won't see the players union "step up" because they were involved with the process, have you read Vrabels comments?

Again youthink they have to retroactivley punish players..or just continue to allow a broken system exist and letthe situation deteriate?

I think they can set a precedent and state that they will begin to toughen punishments. But they have to be willing to enforce this going forward. I see a slippery slope there. Not every player is going to have the negative public image as Pacman.

How do we know he's not the (a?) Devil? Because he doesn't have horns and hooves?

He's a bad guy. Or kid. Whatever. Regardless, he's lucky enough that his "bad choices" have only hurt other people and not him which, if there was any justice, they would have. He's finally getting just a taste of consequence.

Personally, I hope his next bad choice gets him a nice hospital bed.

Wow. I'm glad I won't be picking his jury.

I think we all agree that the Tank Johnson thing is confusing.

Leonard Little killed a woman.

Jones is just a menace.

Maybe now's the time to start dropping the hammer. Better late than never, right?

Wow. I'm glad I won't be picking his jury.

Hoping Karma kicks his ass doesn't mean one can't be an impartial juror.

This would segue nicely into my contention that we need professional jurors, but I don't think I have the strength right now.

Hoping Karma kicks his ass doesn't mean one can't be an impartial juror.

This would segue nicely into my contention that we need professional jurors, but I don't think I have the strength right now.

As a law student, that intrigues me. Sounds like a good topic for the OT board. Interesting.

I think we all agree that the Tank Johnson thing is confusing.

Leonard Little killed a woman.

Jones is just a menace.

Maybe now's the time to start dropping the hammer. Better late than never, right?

Leonard Little should not be in the National Football League. His punishment was a joke. Not to mention HE DID THE SAME THING AGAIN.

So basically everyone who is associated with anyone who injures/paralyzes/kills someone else is automatically guilty? Also, follow the Tank Johnson story a little closer. There was a fatality there as well.

No I'm a police officer with friends on the LVPD and YES HE IS GUILTY PERIOD. You need to follow the Tank story closer because the fatality has nothing to do with Johnson or why he is in prison. Nice try though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes