PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pacman Jones reported as ready to appeal suspension - IDIOT!!

Again, are you willing to say that you should lose your job if you get into a barroom brawl? How about too many traffic tickets? A fight with the Mrs.? What if you were never found guilty of doing anything, but were charged? Can we then take a full year's salary away from you?

The guy was off the clock. It's none of the league's business. The Players' Union was stupid for ever allowing such conduct to even be looked at by the league.

I think that whether or not the players union is stupid depends on the entirety of the deal they negotiated. The players get an enormously higher % of the revenue that their compnay earns than employees at any other company in America. If you negotiate that, as well as many other favorable conditions, there are going to be many lesser issues that look stupid if you actually are kidding yourself that each is a separate decision and not part a COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT.

Again, are you willing to say that you should lose your job if you get into a barroom brawl? How about too many traffic tickets? A fight with the Mrs.? What if you were never found guilty of doing anything, but were charged? Can we then take a full year's salary away from you?

The guy was off the clock. It's none of the league's business. The Players' Union was stupid for ever allowing such conduct to even be looked at by the league.

To answer your question, YES, there are jobs that you can lose for getting in a bar room brawl. Or for having too many parking tickets. Or for declaring bankruptcy. And yes, there are jobs that you can lose for hitting your wife.

And yes, they CAN take a full year's salary, OR MORE, because it just cost your your job.

If you are going to ask the questions, its a good idea to know the answers ahead of time. Particularly on loaded ones like this.

This idea that the guy was "off the clock" and therefore it isn't the leagues business has got to be some of the most short-sighted thinking I have EVER heard. These guys are celebrities. They are NEVER "off the clock."

Why not appeal? Stranger things have happened than an arbitrator ruling the suspension is unprecedented. Everything he did to get himself suspended makes him an idiot, trying to lessen the suspension through the appeal process is a nobrainer he has to try.

Absolutely. Why not exercise his rights?

To answer your question, YES, there are jobs that you can lose for getting in a bar room brawl. Or for having too many parking tickets. Or for declaring bankruptcy. And yes, there are jobs that you can lose for hitting your wife.

And yes, they CAN take a full year's salary, OR MORE, because it just cost your your job.

If you are going to ask the questions, its a good idea to know the answers ahead of time. Particularly on loaded ones like this.

This idea that the guy was "off the clock" and therefore it isn't the leagues business has got to be some of the most short-sighted thinking I have EVER heard. These guys are celebrities. They are NEVER "off the clock."

Hey, slick. Learn how to read. I didn't ask if there were jobs that you could lose if you got busted. I asked if you were willing to say that you should lose your job if you got busted. If you are going to answer questions, particularly in such a smartass way, it's a good idea to actually answer the question asked, instead of getting that wrong.

I kind of agree Pacman should shut up and take it like a man - He did wrong,whatever that may be in the eyes of the law and now must pay and agree with what the Commisioner gave him like it or not,The commisioner is the judge and jury of today's players and near 99% chance he won't get overturned.

Pacman is already negative in the media and those who view him as a troublemaker,With constant complaining of what he got in suspension time will only make him even worse of a human being than he is right now in the view of others.

Give up Pacman,See you somewhere back on the field in 2008 - You still have millions of dollars to feed your family and get by this year,Just stay the hell away from your posse for once.

What bothers me about the suspension is his not being able to be with the team except once a week.

That is a horrible decision.

If there is anything this guy needs, it is structure and mentors, and not the mentors he has been hanging around.

The suspension takes away his pay for a year. Fine. Having him shunned by his team makes no sense.

Let him be with it. Let him take part in practices, meetings, etc.

Let him see again what he will lose should he get into trouble again, but mostly give the kid a place to go everyday, and give him something to occupy his mind.

Did you just pull a Borges and borrow that from Favre talking about the suspension of Koren Robinson?

What bothers me about the suspension is his not being able to be with the team except once a week.

That is a horrible decision.

If there is anything this guy needs, it is structure and mentors, and not the mentors he has been hanging around.

The suspension takes away his pay for a year. Fine. Having him shunned by his team makes no sense.

Let him be with it. Let him take part in practices, meetings, etc.

Let him see again what he will lose should he get into trouble again, but mostly give the kid a place to go everyday, and give him something to occupy his mind.

You are right on with this statement. He needs something constructive to do with his time.

As far as the appeal goes. The man has got to feed his family...

Hey, slick. Learn how to read. I didn't ask if there were jobs that you could lose if you got busted. I asked if you were willing to say that you should lose your job if you got busted. If you are going to answer questions, particularly in such a smartass way, it's a good idea to actually answer the question asked, instead of getting that wrong.
It's not just the employee's rights at question, the NFL has rights too. You might think you have a right to hit your wife without work-related consequences if you're off the clock when it happens, but does your company have a right to have a workforce of high moral character? A company in Michigan has been in the news because they banned their employees from smoking - even on their own time, off of company property. Do I agree with them? No, I think they're shooting themselves in the foot by limiting their candidate pool, but is it their right to hire employees that fit their profile? Yeah, it is.

I asked if you were willing to say that you should lose your job if you got busted.

I go out of my way to make sure that I never have to find out.

However, if I got busted for going to a strip club and assaulting a stripper and my employer fired me for it, how mad could I get? I'm an at-will employee, just like every non-tenured professional in the known universe.

It's not just the employee's rights at question, the NFL has rights too. You might think you have a right to hit your wife without work-related consequences if you're off the clock when it happens, but does your company have a right to have a workforce of high moral character? A company in Michigan has been in the news because they banned their employees from smoking - even on their own time, off of company property. Do I agree with them? No, I think they're shooting themselves in the foot by limiting their candidate pool, but is it their right to hire employees that fit their profile? Yeah, it is.

The problem is, the NFL exists in special legal circumstances due to their special exemption from certain anti-trust and anti-monopoly laws. When the NFL bans a player, it's not just one employer doing so, it's 32 employers that comprise the whole of the veritable pro-football industry in America. It would be like Microsoft, Google, Apple and a bunch of other computer tech companies all agreeing to not hire any employee fired by one of them -- which would be highly illegal. They have to be very careful to avoid what could be perceived as injurious implementation of what is essentially permitted collusion.

The problem is, the NFL exists in special legal circumstances due to their special exemption from certain anti-trust and anti-monopoly laws. When the NFL bans a player, it's not just one employer doing so, it's 32 employers that comprise the whole of the veritable pro-football industry in America. It would be like Microsoft, Google, Apple and a bunch of other computer tech companies all agreeing to not hire any employee fired by one of them -- which would be highly illegal. They have to be very careful to avoid what could be perceived as injurious implementation of what is essentially permitted collusion.

Not quite. The legal structure could also be viewed as General Motors is viewed. There is a Cadilllac, Buick, Saturn, Pontiac, GMC, Chevrolet, GMAC, Delphi, Saab, Vaxhall, Opel, Subaru, etc, divisions; all part of GM. Each competes agasinst the other divisons fro customers, sales, profits etc. Pacman is free to work for anyone else in the world that would have him...

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back