PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Packers release CB Ahmad Carroll... (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a disqualifier, but not mentioned that I saw.

He's not the guy that spit on somebody, Nick named Batman? Am I confused?

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/GB/9246154

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (Feb. 18, 2006) -- Green Bay Packers cornerback Ahmad Carroll was arrested after allegedly arguing with a police officer in a Fayetteville bar.

Carroll, 22, was charged with third-degree assault on a police officer, disorderly conduct and refusal to submit to arrest, Washington County sheriff's Sgt. Donna Smith said. He was released from the sheriff's custody on $1,550 bond.

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2006/09/28/news/092806fzpoole.txt

Poole and Ahmad Raheem Carroll were arrested Feb. 16 after an altercation at Willy D's, a piano bar at 216 W. ****son St., when a bouncer, Ben Hicks, turned Carroll and Poole away because the club was at capacity. During that incident, Poole is alleged to have "sucker punched" Hicks in the face while Carroll distracted him.

Hicks, who claims to have suffered permanent injuries, has filed a civil lawsuit against both men seeking $2 million in damages.

Hicks contends he underwent surgery to repair damage done to bones in his face and he expects more surgeries to follow. Hicks was left with titanium plates in his face, permanent damage to his left eye and permanent scars, according to the lawsuit.

Carroll was arrested by Fayetteville police after an altercation with an officer investigating the earlier incident involving Hicks. Carroll pleaded guilty in July in Fayetteville District Court to refusing to submit to arrest and disorderly conduct and was fined $700. A charge of assaulting a police officer was reduced to obstructing governmental operations as part of the deal and Carroll was fined $500. He also paid $315 in court costs.

NFL.com on Ahmad Carroll
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/ahmad_carroll

reading this makes it seem like we at least have to give this guy a shot. Short money for a guy with loads of talent. Has to be worth a shot.

" Sensational special teams performer who ranked as the leading tackler on all of the squad's coverage units …"

"Learns football well and takes pride in his work habits … Tough competitor with a great personality (players talk highly of his work ethic) "

"4.26 in the 40-yard dash … 38½-inch vertical jump. "

" Very good athlete with tremendous quickness, speed, body control and change-of-direction agility "

Now, who do I want as my #5 corner and Special Teamer? Spann or Carroll? I'll take Carrroll and put back Spann on the Practice Squad where is available any time we need him. Just BTW, this is for Spann's spot. The open #53 spot (Mruc's) is still open, presumably for Vinny.

Last edited:
mgteich said:
Now, who do I want as my #5 corner and Special Teamer? Spann or Carroll? I'll take Carrroll and put back Spann on the Practice Squad where is available any time we need him. Just BTW, this is for Spann's spot. The open #53 spot (Mruc's) is still open, presumably for Vinny.

I still don't see why we'd bother with a 3rd QB when the coaching staff seems confident in Cassell. Seems like a waste of a roster spot to me. Considering the loss of Tebucky, Mel Mitchell, Gardner & Gay all for the season, plus Hobbs and Wilson in the short term, special teams/DB has gotta be top priority.

The guy is rated the #31 CB in the league....only Assante Samuel is rated ahead of him ...#25. What would be the problem given the guy a new outlook on things...like others have said here, so what if he's just a dime guy for now.

From ESPN:
He has very good lateral movement. He excels in press coverage where he can get in a receivers face and jam him at the line of scrimmage. He shows good awareness and good instincts in zone coverage and has a great break on the ball in the air. He has adequate height to go up and battle for the ball in a jump ball situation. He shows that he can break down and make a tackle in the open field and he clubs up with his arms and he is a sure tackler. He occasionally loses the ball on deep routes and despite his speed gets beaten on a deep route.

Last edited:
F.B.N. said:
The guy is rated the #31 CB in the league....only Assante Samuel is rated ahead of him ...#25. What would be the problem given the guy a new outlook on things...like others have said here, so what if he's just a dime guy for now.

From ESPN:

"He excels in press coverage where he can get in a receivers face and jam him at the line of scrimmage" screams Patriots doesn't it? Physical CBs seem to excel in our system (and the p*ssys like Duane Starks fail)

Last edited:
The only real football coach he had at Green Bay was Jim Bates. He started most of the games that season. On most downs he was in solo coverage. According to KC Joyner's analysis, Carroll was targeted 66 times, which is a low number for an outside CB. He gave up 27 receptions in man-to-man situations, and another 5 in zone. He allowed 3 TDs.

Those are decent numbers.

BradyManny2344 said:
I agree with the above ^^^. The bottom line is, we need depth at DB, it's either him, Troy Vincent, or a street free agent.

Think of it this way...if we can make Randall Gay & Hank Poteat contribute on this team, why not Ahmad Carroll?

Bingo, we got bingo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey